Winter Vacation 2013-2014

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 03, 2013, 07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Will do Dan!  I'll revive the post I made about Samson tires a while back.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Having a great time in Tombstone with the pups, although yesterday was more of a relaxing do nothing day.  Paladin is having growing pains or pulled something when he was chasing his sister, so he's yelping every once in a while if he moves his back leg wrong.  Got him on baby aspirin which seems to help.  Same thing happened to Barnabas at the same age, so we'll see how he is before we leave Tombstone before freaking out and running him to the vet. 

And the Jeep grew overnight!

Actually, Patti has been complaining about no AC and having to drive a 5 speed since we got the Jeep, and I decided to remedy the situation...

In one day on Craigslist, I sold the Jeep to an older couple who are full time RVers for 4000.00 (I paid 1500.00 for it last year).  They drove all the way here from Los Cruces, NM, paid cash, and towed her away on their tow bar.  In the same day, I found what is perhaps my favorite vehicle of all time, a 1985 Chevy K5 Blazer.

The guy who sold it to us needed cash desperately after the holidays.  It has a newly rebuilt 350 engine with a cam, Edlebrock carb and intake, a custom exhaust, a rebuilt 4 speed automatic transmission that supposedly came out of a Vette (I think he said it was an LS1 transmission?), a lift, all brand new suspension and steering components, brand new BF Goodrich tires, a brand new custom dual exhaust, and all new AC components (some of which still have to be installed and then charged).

For 2500.00!

I paid him an extra 200.00 to bring it to me from Tucson since I had sold the Jeep.

It has a couple of minor dents and needs a new paint job since its just grey primer right now, but since its original color was white, which is what we want to have it painted again, the paint job shouldn't be all that expensive...maybe a grand with the body work.  And because it spent its whole life out here in Arizona, it has ZERO rust anywhere!

The front window seal is new, as are the cap side window seals.  The rubber in the door windows, like the tracks and whatnot, need to be replaced, as well as the one in the tailgate window, but that's to be expected in an Arizona vehicle.

The interior is a custom job with all camoflage...the guy was a hunter...so eventually Patti is going to have me redo all that.  But at least its clean inside.

The pups will have a LOT more room in this beast...and I LOVE it!

Amazingly, according to the specs for the K5 Blazer in 1985, it only weighs 4200 lbs with the 350 option.  The Jeep with the hard top and 4.0 engine weighed 3400 lbs.  So an 800lb increase in weight, for a HUGE increase in size and space...I'll take it!

Its a beautiful beastie! 

We did all the paperwork, and yesterday I had the Tombstone Marshall come down and verify the vin on the title, and then overnighted all the paperwork to Florida.

By Monday afternoon, it will be legal and titled to us...and we sent them a return address overnight envelope for the title and registration, so we should have all that in hand by Tuesday or Wednesday.

SWEET!!!

Its a darn nice Blazer!

Okay...back to fun in Tombstone!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

Hey Kev Look at the p30 od thread a lot of new info for you Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

jkilbert

Really nice find. The LS1 is a 'vette engine. An overdrive tranny of that vintage should be a 700R4. And if you can still find them, a soft top was available as an aftermarket item for those.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

ClydesdaleKevin

Cool!  I love the beastie.  Still have to name it though.  Sure one heck of a truck!

Lots of walks with the pups today in Tombstone, and bought Patti new boots and a hat...she's having a great time too!

Love this silly town!

Kev

jkilbert

Have to say that I had a bout of old timers about the engine. Should be an LT1. The new 3rd gen Chevy's are an LS series aluminum v8 in the 'Vette/Camaro. And the LM series cast iron in the trucks.

D:oH!

ClydesdaleKevin

Engine block is iron, although there is a lot of aluminum bolted to it, like the Edlebrock valve covers and intake manifold...lol!

I can't wait to take it for a drive...gotta wait until is legal though on Monday.

Going through the stuff in the back of the Blazer, I came across a few ball joints brand new in the boxes.  Comparing them to the front, all the rest are new, and these ones must be to replace the last 3.  Gonna have to do that, then it will all be new!

More fun in town today, more time with the wifey and pups, and some more reading time...ah, vacation!

Kev

HandyDan

Kevin, A good friend of mine, Craig Jones, and his wife will be spending New Years Eve at the Crystal Palace. If you happen to run into him, he is somewhat of an expert on Wyatt Earp.  He is a taxidermist by trade and does some amazing work.  (He is, also, the district coordinator of the Eagle Scout Board of Reviews.)
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Not sure if we are going to be at the Crystal Palace this year...might spend a quiet holiday at home with the pups.  But make sure you tell him to say hi if he sees us walking the German Shepherds around!

Today is the day when the Blazer will be road legal, so as soon as it is we'll be swinging by the dump to drop off the back seat and huge ugly wooden tool box I removed yesterday, then its off to Sierra Vista for groceries and some errands.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

The Florida tax collector's office we use for vehicle registrations was super backed up yesterday, and we weren't sure that the vehicle would even be legal by the end of the day, so I made the one short trip in the Blazer to the dump somewhat illegally before they closed at 2pm.  They charged me 7.00 for bulky items...not bad!

Got back home and waited with Patti.

They finally called us at just before 3pm to tell us everything was processed, so we gave them our debit card numbers over the phone, and YAY!!!  We were finally legal!

It was too late to go to Sierra Vista, so I took the beast on a test drive.  Engine runs awesome with lots of power, transmission shifts flawlessly.  The water temp and oil pressure gauges don't work, but I think its got missing wires somewhere under the hood.  I couldn't even find the oil pressure switch, which is supposed to be near the distributor, but is nowhere to be found.  Might be plugged off since the engine is new, so I'll definitely have to remedy that!

So we are getting an early start to get all the stuff we need in Sierra Vista, so Patti gets her maiden voyage. 

Some of the things needed for the Blazer are:  windshield wiper blades, door channel rubber (they are power windows, but the rubber channels are GONE completely and they rattle like heck!), a new ignition key switch (key is broken off in the switch and you can turn it with a wrench), key copy of the door key, aftermarket gauges and senders probably, tire valve caps, a riser for the hitch on the RV since the bumper on the Blazer sits so high with its lift, and that's it for now.

I have a Blue Ox riser in storage in NY, but that doesn't do me any good here...lol!

My main objective is to get the gauges in order...I get awfully nervous not knowing my water temp and oil pressure!

So off we go to Sierra Vista!

Kev

LJ-TJ

Thank you Kev, I feel vindicated with your last statement about your instruments.I just added a few extras. :laugh:

ClydesdaleKevin

The trip to Sierra Vista was a success!  Although it turned into a bit of an adventure!

I dropped Patti off at Walmart and then took the Blazer to an oil change place since I had a suspicion that the engine was overfilled, and I wasn't sure of the oil had been changed after the break-in period...and its been about 800 miles since the engine was installed according to the receipts.

Yep...definitely overfilled.  Apparently there was an option in 85 for a deeper oil pan that required 7 quarts with a filter change...and the PO had that circled in the old Chilton manual that came with the truck.  The new engine has the stock 5 quart setup.  Also, the transmission was underfilled!  It has an aftermarket deeper pan with a drain plug, so it was shy almost a quart, and that was after I added a pint before the trip.

The oil change guys confirmed that there didn't appear to be any fluid leaks of any kind, so it was the POs mess up.

Then the tech noticed one side of the exhaust was loose...2 out of three nuts were missing at the flange where the pipe meets the manifold.  They scrounged up 2 more nuts for me and put them on, and that certainly quieted down the beastie!

So I went to start the truck to leave, and no go!  Nothing at the key...dead as a doornail!

Crap!  No cell phone to call Patti either. 

Then a mechanic from the shop next door walked over...he's friends with the other guys...and determined that the ignition switch itself on the lower steering column was probably toast from old connections.  He showed me how to drop the steering column, remove the switch, and start it with a screwdriver by sliding it all the way to the right through a slot in the side of the switch!  Shutdown was the reverse direction.  He said the linkage to the key switch was still connected, so the contacts in the ignition switch must be old and crusty, but by using a screwdriver the circuit was completed since you could move it further with the screwdriver than the rod linkage did.  The he bolted the steering column back up with the switch still hanging, and wouldn't take a dime for helping out!  There are still nice people in the world!

So I picked Patti up, who hadn't been waiting for too long, and she just laughed and told me I had a LOT of work to do on the new vehicle...lol!

We stopped at 3 other stores that Patti needed stuff at, then went in search of a receiver to receiver drop...which apparently is an RV specific item.  Even U-Haul didn't have them.  So we drove another 8 miles to a big RV store, and while they didn't have one in stock, they ordered us one from Roadmaster, a 10" drop/riser, and said it would be in by Friday.

Then back to Autozone, who had all the parts we needed for the Blazer, including a new ignition switch, on the cheap!  Parts for this thing are very affordable!

So today, once it warms up, I'll install the new ignition switch and key switch, and the 2 aftermarket gauges and senders...and a couple of honey-dos that Patti wants done, like adding a couple of snaps to the dash cover in the RV, and trimming the pup's nails.

Once I replace the switches, I won't have to "hotwire" my own truck anymore...lmao!

Didn't have time to have duplicate door keys made yet, but its on the list for when we go back to town to pick up the receiver riser.

The Blue Ox bumper brackets arrived yesterday...I didn't have time to remove the old ones from the Jeep since it sold so fast!...so I'll mark the holes for those out on the bumper today as well.  A local garage said they'd drill the holes for me since all I have are woodworking bits and a hand drill, and while they are at it I'm going to have them give the suspension a safety inspection and correct anything that the PO might have done wrong.  It feels a little floatie on the road, but that could just be the lift and big tires...but I'm going to have them check it out to be sure, and replace the ball joints if necessary with the ones I have.

Window channels are something I couldn't get in town, and will have to order them from someplace like JC Whitney or Summit Racing once we start our season back up at the Arizona Renfaire.  For now we'll just have to deal with the rattles!

I have a LOT of wiring to figure out...like the blower fan, passenger door power window, windshield wipers, etc...but I can do that at our leisure in the desert at Hot Wells Dunes.

And we've tentatively named the Blazer S.T.E.E.V.!  Survivalist Tactical Escape and Evade Vehicle...lol!

After my list of stuff is done today, its fun with the pups in Tombstone!

Kev

Froggy1936

Hey Kev The old window channel guides are most likely lying in the bottom of the doors They get loose and slide down the channel . Pop a corner of the inside door panel and look inside the door before  buying new ones . If there there just slide them back into place and add some adhesive at the top   Did you look for the L/F oil press switch location wile it was up in the air ?  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

jkilbert

The best source for parts for that beast is LMC Truck. Their catalogue is about the best around for replacement body/interior parts.

pvoth1111

Grumpys in phoenix has all the parts too.
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

lmc truck for parts , join chevyk5blazer great site for k5's i'm there, look up cadillac's 75 build. old school, full convertable blazers are to cool, had mine for 20 plus years,  getting full restore and custom paint, nice find kevin

HandyDan

I would like to recommend C.R. Lawrence as a good place for glass parts.  They deal with a lot of other things, too, but their auto section is quite extensive.  That is where I got the plastic chrome trim to go around my windshield.
This is a link to their automotive glass website:

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/default.aspx?GroupID=19748&Path=30587::19748

I like LMC for truck parts, too.  They are located fairly near where I live and have just about anything a person would need to rebuild an older truck.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Had a big long post written, and lost it.

Lets just say it took all day and a lot of luck just to replace the key cylinder and ignition switch, and other related broken parts in the steering column, a lot of bicycle riding to get the parts, and it was dark before I was done with just that project.

Started at 8am...but woke early and got the snaps installed for the dash and the pups nails clipped before 8.

I did find a clear picture of where the OP sender is located on a 350...I was confused because the internet pics of a stock 350 look nothing like the setup with an Edelbrock Performer intake, but after seeing this picture I was able to find the tiny little plug on the motor:

I'll be doing the gauges tomorrow, which won't take long because at least its straightforward.

And after losing about an hour and half of typing, I'm done with the internet.

Talk to y'all tomorrow!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Gauges went in easily...and the oil pressure is perfect!  Water temp reads a little low...around 170...but that's probably because of the location I chose for the sender, in the thermostat housing.  Eventually I'll figure out the wiring and get the electronic gauges for OP and Water temp working on the dash, but for now these are fine.  I'll have to put in a T fitting to use a stock sender and the mechanical when I get around to it.

A neat vintage RV is in this campground, a Foretravel Grand Villa, probably around a 1989.  Very neat, but its weird!  Its a gasoline pusher!  Never heard of one of those!

Today I have to run up to the garage and have 2 holes drilled in my bumper for the tow mounts, and that's pretty much it besides having fun with Patti and the pups in Tombstone!

Might have to make the drive to Sierra Vista to pick up the receiver riser later if it comes in today.

And that's pretty much it!

Kev

Elandan2

Water temps around 170° is perfect!!  Just ignore that steam coming out from under the hood. :D  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Rick!  I chose the thermostat housing for three reasons.  First, there was already the adapter there for an aftermarket sender, and the wire, but no sender, so it made it easy.  Second, using the stock location between spark plugs 1 and 2 would result in coolant spilling on the ground in a busy campground with lots of pets, so that was a no go.  And 3, I want to figure out the wiring and hook up the stock electric gauge as well, and there is already a sender in the stock location.

I only had to have 2 holes drilled in the bumper today, since as luck would have it, the other 2 holes lined up perfectly with 2 of the bumper bolts which essentially bolt right to the frame!  The garage drilled them out for me to the tune of 15 bucks.  It took them a while and a good amount of cutting oil to get through the hardened chrome bumper.

They didn't charge me at all for a rough cursory inspection of the suspension, which they said looked all in order...but I'll be under there myself over the next couple of days with wrenches making sure everything is tight.

Got home, and Patti told me the RV place in Sierra Vista had called, and our riser was in.  So off I drove to Sierra Vista!  Dang this thing runs nice, and at the low speeds I drive seems to get about the same gas mileage as the Jeep did.  Not great, but not bad either...I'm guesstimating about 15mpg.

Oil pressure was a pretty constant 40-55 psi, and water temp read from the thermostat housing between 160-170 degrees.  Fluid levels stayed constant.

Got home and decided to install the riser and Blue Ox tow bar at its higher level.  Had to take out my grinder and clear a little more bumper away, and search through cases for my spare hitch pin, but got it installed in short order.

Now the tow bar will sit fairly level when towing Steev!  Renamed somewhat by the way.  Still Steev, or S.T.E.E.V., but now the acronym stands for Strategic Tactical Escape and Evade Vehicle...wouldn't want to red flag ourselves with a survivalist moniker...lmao!

It was all done by 2pm, so we took the pups for a walk in Tombstone!

The babies were on short chain leashes for training, and German collars...Barnabas doesn't need that so Patti walked him on a retractable leash.

Everyone oohed and ahhed and the pups were very well behaved.

We even took them on a stage coach ride!

The puppies had no problem with the steep step ladder, but I wasn't sure if Barnabas could do it...but he did with a little help from Daddy...just the reassurance of my hands touching his hind quarters.

The looks of the tourists was priceless, with 3 German Shepherd heads looking out the windows of the stage coach...many pictures were taken by folks from many nationalities....lmfao!!!

What?  You've never seen a stagecoach filled with German Shepherds before?

When we got back, I figured out where to put the shackles for the tow cables...around the sway bar...and in the next couple of days I'll figure out if my tow lights are long enough.  Can't use magnetic lights, since the cap is fiberglass, but can't close the flap lights in the tailgate, since it doesn't open that way.  We'll have to close them in the rear power window.  If not long enough to go over the top, I'll have to run the cord through the Blazer, through the firewall and engine compartment and grill, and hook it up that way.  The eventual plan is to hook up a plug to the front bumper of the Blazer so ITS lights operate via the trailer plug from the RV...its on the list.

Tomorrow there is no planned work on either the RV or the Blazer.

Its a relaxing day planned with the pups...a mine tour (which we'll probably leave Barnabas home with the cat for, since there are a LOT of steep steps), and maybe a trolly ride, which all 3 pups can do, and of course more socialization walks with the pups down the main street.

Paladin is a perfect angel with people AND other dogs, which he tends to ignore after a quick look.  Karli on the other hand still has issues with other dogs and barking at them...although she's getting better...and jumping up excitedly on people that want to pet her, which she is also getting better at.

So tomorrow should be another fun day in Tombstone!

I forgot to mention that I consulted a couple of Chevy guys and got the lowdown on the Blazer 4x4 system and NP208 transfer case.  A lot different from the Jeep.  You can't shift it on the fly.  You have to stop it, put the transmission in neutral, shift the transfer case, put the tranny back in park, then get out and turn the lockers on the front axle...taking it out is the reverse of the procedure.  I took it on a test drive on a dirt road to check it all out, and it works flawlessly.  Since the lockers are Warn lockers and brand new, they turn like butter.

Rattles like heck though on dirt roads!

Really have to replace those window seals!

Over and out for now!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

The pups loved the mine tour, although Paladin had some trouble getting back up the long steep steps...I think he was afraid...so I had to carry his heavy butt up the last half of the steps...lol!

LMC Truck is AWESOME by the way!  I downloaded their catalog, and there wasn't much they didn't have that we'll need!  And the way they diagram everything is going to make a lot of my jobs much easier.

Today we'll be bringing all 3 pups into town to watch one of the many staged gunfights.  Gotta get them used to gunfire and loud noises in addition to the rest of their training.  Barnabas is already relaxed around gunfire, since we had a shooting range on our property when he was a puppy.

Off to it!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Never made it to the gunfight, so we'll probably do that today...although we did bring the pups for a nice long walk through town and they were again very well behaved, even when little rat dogs would bark at them...lol!

Today when it warms up a bit I'll be installing the Blue Ox brackets on the bumper and making sure the suspension component bolts are nice and tight.

Then the rest of the day its fun in Tombstone!

Two more days here, then its off to Safford to Hot Wells Dunes for 2 weeks of boondocking and hot tubs!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I found this picture while playing around on the internet this morning:

How cool is that?  Apparently they used to make slide in campers for K5 Blazers!  Would make one heck of a hunting/fishing/exploration camper with this kind of setup, huge offroad tires, 4x4, and a lift!

Kev

jkilbert

That's not a slide in unit. It's a bolt  on unit that replaces the full removable top on the 73-77 models. The inside is finished out like a coach. Think of it as a micro class c. I remember seeing one and the are really cool.