About strategies for security, and to protect against theft...

Started by ajb483, July 02, 2021, 05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajb483

I'm a newbie, and there's a good chance I just haven't found what I'm looking for, so please point me to it if I've missed the relevant thread(s)! I've searched various boards here, using search terms that seemed universal, but haven't found much about preventing theft of your RV or its equipment. What I did find was pretty outdated, and there's so much new technology available now.  I have friends in the Tiny House community, and there are heartbreaking stories of peoples' whole entire home being stolen. If I lost my RV it wouldn't be that devastating, but it wouldn't be nothing, either. I'm not just thinking about surveillance, which I know how to do. I'm trying to imagine actual deterrence. I have two dogs, and they are enthusiastic and loud barkers but they are Chinese Cresteds and unlikely to make a thief hesitate much. Which is part of my worry, as they are far, far more important to me than my rig. And, in any case, I crate them when I have to leave them. I don't leave them ever for long, but it's not always possible or practical to take them every place.

In my imagination I think about something like a parking violation "boot".  Anybody have any ideas for me?
~Amanda Bee

Elandan2

It depends on what kind of security you are trying to achieve. Theft of the vehicle can be prevented with a simple hidden switch to prevent the vehicle from starting. If you want to keep thieves out of your rig, the best place to start is with a good household deadbolt lock. The locks that are used on RV's are pathetic. I have opened ours with any key on my key ring. Another possibility is a car alarm, but they tend to be ignored nowadays.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

Definitely the deadbolt.  Windows are easy to get into as well.  The old, "bar between the sliding pane and frame, works great.  A hidden battery disconnect switch, a "club" steering wheel lock are good deterrents.  The more number of deterrents you use decreases the likelihood of having your RV stolen.  The longer it takes a thief, the greater potential to be caught.  Time is not on their side and if they encounter one thing after another, they are more likely to give up.

Just as important is the location of your RV.  Good lighting all round.  Open space between the RV and areas which hide access, such as woods or large bushes/hedges. 

Loud Noise, other than a regular car alarm.  Hook the activation units to turn on the stereo and have it hooked to an outside speaker - playing Whitesnake, Quiet Riot... Someone is BOUND to call the cops.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ajb483

Love your idea about connecting to your speakers and having them go off if someone tried to break in.  But I'm thinking the 1812 Overture or Beethoven's 9th would be even more likely to annoy nearby folks and get it called in. If I can time it to start up with the cannon fusillade in the 1812 Overture that could scare the heck out of 'em! On a more serious note, some great suggestions, thank you!
~Amanda Bee

ajb483

I know what you mean about car alarms! Who even notices them anymore?  Thanks for your input!
~Amanda Bee

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca