Help on finding a space to park

Started by Wayfarer Malang, November 12, 2013, 10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayfarer Malang

Well Been in lane county for a few weeks and thanks to Wallmart, I have not been told I cant stay in the parking lot... Walmart has been talking to springfield pd to keep them from hassling me. why do cities pass laws u can't park in Walmart parking lot is beyond me.. also that most of the places i have been looking for a space tells me 73 is to old it has to be 90-2000 89 or newer?????  were do you go, close to Springfield Oregon Wallmart, that it dose not take forever and a day to go to work..lol  Hm?  lets pass more laws that don't make sense...  Also  looking for someone to put a roof round not flat I am in re building mode this winter so in spring I can wander and have a nice home... People tell me i can buy another for what it costs to fix it but I would have to fix that as well and this is home and at least i know whats wrong.... Peace

Lefty

"Well Been in lane county for a few weeks "

There is your issue right there. It is one thing to spend the night (one night!) in a Walmart parking lot (after having went in & made a purchase as your thanks to them)... and then move on in the morning. It is absolutely another thing to spend a full weekend, or as you put it (a few weeks...). If you are going to be in the area for more than one night... get a campsite at a campground. As for restrictions finding one that will accept your rig, it has happened before here.. but in most cases it has been more on the condition of that particular rig and the intent of the owner of it. Most campgrounds wont reject a well kept rig which the owner has kept in good shape, and only plans to stay a few nights or maybe a week during the camping season. Very few will accept a rig that looks like it belongs to "Cousin Eddie" or has so much junk on it that it could pass for the Beverly Hillbilly's truck.. with an owner intending to move there long term. Best bets are small privately owned campgrounds that are well away from the main campground or tourist areas. These older campgrounds may not have the luxury of turning down a potential paying tenant like the big fancy campgrounds can.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

cosmic

Have you tried posting a add in the local Craigs list or classifieds? never know some private person might be able to help you out with some driveway space or unused land. i??

LJ-TJ

Well I don't know were you park it on the lot but I would think if you parked it around out back....out of sit out of mine it might buy you a little more time. But I have to agree with Im_Still-Lefty

Froggy1936

When i travel to an area and have to stay at a Walmart for a few nights. I leave ea AM then return in the evining asking permission ea time . Never had a problem , Most of them direct you to the area by the Auto Repair in the back . It also helps if you police the area for stuff others throw on the lot I do this wile walking the dog !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

• You got to remember staying in a wal-mart parking lot is a privilege not a right.

ClydesdaleKevin

I think the best suggestion was already mentioned...post an ad on Craigslist.  Maybe a farmer or someone with a decent amount of land will rent you out a small parcel that isn't too far from the Walmart.  Or as Frank mentioned, you could leave the lot once a day, then bring it back a few hours later and park it in a different location.

Boondocking has its challenges, but even Walmarts that let you stay overnight would start to get ansy after a few days.  And I understand why.  Can you imagine if a couple of dozen folks with our alternative housing option (Great way to word it by the way, Mark!) decided to go set up camp in a local Walmart?  Not only would it look like a gypsy village after a while, but they would be taking up valuable parking space from shoppers.

Anyhow, try the craigslist idea, or even drive around a bit and see if you can find a farm nearby that looks like it has a suitable spot for you to park, go up to the door and knock, and ask for permission and terms.  Make sure you dress nice and keep your hair pulled back if its long and you are a male!...lol!  Not many oldtime farmers will be overly receptive to what they perceive as "dirty hippy" types.  You might even want to offer to do some chores in exchange for the temporary parking spot.  Farmers like that!

Good luck!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

legomybago

You guys are full of great ideas for this person...hope they figure something out.
We have a vacant lot across the street from our house, and everyonce and a while, an RV will pull in and start squating, next thing you know...the drug traffic picks up....place looks crappy....then FINALLY the police show up, make an arrest, than the RV and stuff are gone. I dont like to see it myself...
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

LJ-TJ

• Hm? Well there's a lot of folks out there right now trying to get by best they can. There not looking for a free ride or a hand out because their self respect won't let them. But the jobs are just not out there to support rent, utilities, food and all the exercises of life. Shoot people are sleeping on the streets because they have no place to go. So I admire and respect the  person who has the gumption to collect bottles, cans or what ever to rally a few hundred bucks to buy an old RV to put a roof over his/hers/ there head to get themselves up and going.An old RV will allow them mobility to go were the job is. Sounds like our mate who happened upon a job at Wal-Mart. Probably doesn't pay a lot but he's got a roof over his head and now is making enough to put food on the table. Sounds like now all he needs is time to but a few dollars together to get himself a place to park it.If I got the proper read on this I wish him all the success in the world and hope someone can help him find a place to put up for a bit.

ClydesdaleKevin

I had another thought.  Any National Forests or Parks near the Walmart?  They are typically very cheap to stay in, and while you can't stay more than one or two weeks, you could always bebop between them and the Walmart parking lot.

State Parks are another option, but are usually a lot more expensive.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

HandyDan

http://tinyurl.com/4yyhfbt

Try this link.  It might help.  You could drive down to 14th and Main and ask the nice folks there where there might be a space.  There is a free boondocking site in Eugene at Valley Center, but only for 2 nights.
Good Luck,
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Wayfarer Malang

Thank You so much for all the letters,you
Just so know Sam set up Walmart so u could park 7 nights leave one and stay 7 more... I work for Walmart and diving around looking after work well is a lot so i am sticking it out till I find something. I am posting yet being female I don't want people just coming to my camper...
Peace Rhiannon

Froggy1936

I dont understand how some communities can make it a rule that there is no overnighting on private property (Walmart) ??  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Wayfarer Malang

Yes Frank I agree with u and at least wall mart is behind me, I wouldn't know were to go. Plus wall mart is giving me 40 hours a week which is so strange most are lucky to get 26..
I look at the Positive It is as it is.
Peace Rhiannon

ibdilbert01

A PDF can be found here of the walmarts that do now allow overnight staying.     

http://www.walmartatlas.com/no-park-walmarts/

I also found it funny that the one in Grove City, Ohio is listed as a "no stay", and I'm not sure there is a day that goes by where I don't see RVs in their lot.   So they obviously are not enforcing it.

Also a code of conduct here:

http://www.walmartatlas.com/overnight-parking-etiquette/

Remember, the few folks who abuse it are the ones who ruin it for the rest of us! 
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Oz

That's a sub-link of the Member area resource, "Stops Along the Weigh" we have here which gives you all Wal-Mart locations:

http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca