From Saskatoon, Canada

Started by sasktrini, October 07, 2013, 05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sasktrini

Hey all!  This is a 1979 Dodge Diplomat, 26' Class A, 440, originally assembled in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.  I'm the new owner, and I will need lots of help (well, some).

The previous owner had left the rig an hour outside of town, where he suddenly experienced backfiring and loss of power a few months ago (maybe from about the time this picture was taken, as we would have had snow on the ground in March).  I'm hoping to drive it home in the next couple weeks.  Thanks to resources here, I have a pretty good handle on what I expect to find.  One thing I verified (as the price was quite low) was that the engine wasn't seized... it almost started with a boost.  Also, the interior is intact.  I great candidate for me to use next year, I think.

Anyway, my name's Corey (aka sasktrini in many other forums).  Last year, I had to abandon a resto project on a 1969 camper trailer.  I am hoping that my experience with that will help me in my efforts in making this rig special for me.  I'm a musician, so I want the rig to have storage for my gear, and provide comfort when I go to festivals.

Thanks... wish me luck... I will share more as I go, posting questions in the appropriate places.  I even have much of the original documentation including the glossy brochure!
Corey aka sasktrini

Stripe

AHHHH SNOW!!!  <Holds up two fingers in the shape of a cross> BACK SPAWN O SATAN!!

Well, now that I got that out of my system..  Welcome!
So you say it started with a jump, yeah?  I had a Coachmen on an M500 that had lost power and would backfire. Thought it was a carb problem until I discovered that there was no power getting from the Alternator to the engine or battery.  Ends up, I was driving on battery power alone.

The problem ended up being in the voltage regulator on the 440..

Before I could fix it, I ended up selling it to a man who then gave it to a VET to fix up and use as a house on one of his commercial properties.. Turns out the guy owns the communications company that does NFL games..

Hope that helps
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

LJ-TJ

Welcome aboard from Ontario Canada. A traveling musician. Prepare for a hole new adventure. D:oH!

pvoth1111

WOW! A face only a mother could love...but somehow its growing on me.
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

sasktrini

Thanks, Coachman... that does help.  I planned on picking up a ballast resistor, but voltage regulator will be on my radar too now.  My thought on backfire is that spark was lost at highway speed, and gas would accumulate and preignite under compression.

Thanks LJ-TJ... I've read a ton of your posts... actually registered here several months back when I started shopping for a project.

And pvoth... I agree... the car grille looks ridiculous!  I'll post more pics... the front and rear contours almost make it okay!  I'm guessing there aren't too many people own these on here?  I know there were Class C Diplomats, but the face on the A's makes me shake my head!

Oh, BTW, I love NFL!  Cool story!
Corey aka sasktrini

Oz

5 active members with class A Diplomats.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

sasktrini

My mom just said Rock My RV featured a 1979 Apollo, which looks almost like the Diplomat I believe... way cooler grille in front... how many people here have Apollo's?  How would I search to find some posts by Apollo or Diplomat owners?  I know I will have some coach-specific issues to address.  I know there is maybe an issue with my coach battery wiring, for example.  Thanks. 
Corey aka sasktrini

Oz

The member list can only be viewed by Full members.  Whatever questions you have about whatever make RV there is, just post it on the corresponding board.  I.e.  Coach stuff on the coach board.  There aren't any brand specific boards.

To view and search for members, have access to scores of appliance and generator manuals, and many, other benefits, become a Full member.  It's more infinitely more than the minimal $5.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

sasktrini

Corey aka sasktrini

sasktrini

Did some VIN decoding:
M40CA9T5#####: 1979 Dodge M400 Class A, 440-3 RB, 10-14k lbs GVWR, Warren Truck #2 Plant

I cant find any details on the differences between M3, M4, M5, etc., or photos of the bare chassis.  Any advice?  Are they only different by length, weight, wheel base, axle configuration, but use the same hardware?

I still have to get it home from an hour highway drive (or tow)... need to replace head gaskets to hopefully get it driving (I think I have a handle on engine troubles for now... will open a thread if I think I have a new situation than previously posted here).  Once I do get it home, I have a lot of electrical cleanup on both the chassis and coach sides.

Corey aka sasktrini

maxximuss

Welcome! glad  to have you with us. Always great help here too.