Advice for Header recommendations?

Started by vacuumbed, October 03, 2013, 05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vacuumbed

I am considering getting a set of full length headers from Summit racing for my 1978 440 M600 chassis. The guy at my local muffler shop warned me that I will hate cheap headers. He recommended some headers by Doug that cost over $500. Ouch!

Has anyone had a good experience with Summit, Hooker, or Headman headers?

joev

i had  hooker headers on my 67 chevy 11 for 4 years no problems with them  very tight clearances if you seen a 327 in one

liquidwrench63

just put a set of hooker headers on my 1980 chieftian and wrapped them also. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261219870957?item=261219870957&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:US:3160&vxp=mtr these are the ones I bought. If you want to wrap them also you will need 2 rolls of 2inch by 50 foot wrap and about 15-20 metal straps. Is tight getting the header bolts in with the wrap but it cut down the doghouse heat by 30%. The wrap and straps will cost about an extra $130 or more depending on the type of wrap you buy. Also if you can find someone who has the strap tool it would be nice to I just used a pair of vicegrips and a screwdrive myself was apain but I got it done

Oz

Yes, not only will you hate cheap headers, there are good reasons for it.  We've had members who experienced fuel vapor lock, melted wires, melted brake lines, fried spark plug wires and even engine fires as a result of using cheap, chrome plated headers and insufficient heat shielding and re-routing of wires/lines as needed.

And, there's always the heated debate whether the benefits outweigh the cost and hassle.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,846.new.html#new
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

hankg

I purchased my Dougs headers from the "Dyno Shop" in Californina  many years ago for my 440-3 engine. they came nickel plated .  Looked like they belonged on a street rod. header flanges were 3/8 thick. I did have to trim the header gaskets and grind some of the header flange some to get them to mount properly.  440-3 and automotive cylinder head exhaust flanges are different. stopped the burned valve cover gaskets, oil consumption dropped, lowered the under cowl temps by just getting the exhaust out.  I also ran  dual 3" exhaust out the rear with truck turbo mufflers 36" long and 8" diameter. All very expensive. I have had my MH since 1996 not a lot of miles but its never been on the hook and you can fix most things simply. no scan tool :D

Dave R

like hankg i have headers and truck mufflers with 2.5" outlets on either side. got a deep throaty sound outside but extremely quiet inside. never had a problem with excessive heat inside engine compartment. i have always toyed with the idea of installing a fan and timer to dissipate heat when i finally stop just to keep things cool just as a precaution, not because i have to.
Fair Winds and Following Seas