Stromberg-Carlson Econo-Porch

Started by HandyDan, September 09, 2013, 06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandyDan

While camping with a group last week, one of the ladies in our group tripped coming out of her vintage Winnie trailer (It was Miss February on the 2012 CWVR Calendar) and managed to break her tailbone.  She fell on an eight track cassette holder (really vintage).  My wife has had a few close calls with the steps on our Holiday Rambler, so I started investigating some safer means of getting in and out.  While I was at Camping World looking for a refrigerator part, I happened on to this Econo-Porch platform steps.  I'm not sure where the "Econo" part comes from because they are a little pricey ($311), but a trip to the emergency room isn't cheap, either.  I can report that they are very well made.  It takes a little muscle to get them assembled, and you can overtighten the bolts quite easily.  I had to get a new bolt because I broke the first one with too much torque.  The whole unit weighs 69 lbs. which makes them a little cumbersome to move around, but two people can easily transport them.  With the removal of 8 bolts, the unit folds up and can be stored.  They are rated for 350 lbs.  Since I'm not a lightweight myself, that caught my eye.  I can say they are very stable, firm, and the handrail makes getting in and out much easier for both my wife and myself.  The handrail can be placed on either side.  If there was a weak point in the system, I would say it is the handrail.  Even though it is very stable, it is only held on by two bolts.  Considering how easily I broke the first bolt, that concerns me.  I think I am going to add a couple of additional bolts just for safety sake.  The whole unit is made of steel.  I would prefer aluminum for several reasons, but for now, I am quite happy with the purchase and would recommend the steps if you feel the need.

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

justdon57

nice idea! not sure if I need 4 steps or not tho, do they come in different sizes?

HandyDan

I should have put the height in my report.  The top step is 28" tall, which puts it just below the threshold of my door.  They, also, make a shorter version that is 21".  The shorter one is called a two-step Econo-Porch even though is has three steps.  Mine is a three-step although it has four steps.  The top step is considered a landing and not a step.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

HandyDan

Although I like the plastic/fiberglass steps, the main objective was a handrail.  I tried to put one of those fold-in handrails on the side of the MH, but there isn't anything solid where the lag bolts need to go, and because of the door trim, there wasn't enough room to put a nut on a long bolt if I went all the way through the wall.  Believe me, I tried to go the cheaper route, but it just wasn't working out.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Lefty

Having stepped out of an RV before, and promptly broken my ankle when the entire step assembly FELL OFF!! I can say with assurance that this would be a good idea! :P
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

HandyDan

Having been in and out of the motorhome a lot of times in the course of fixing my refrigerator, I can say that I really appreciate the Econo-Porch.  It makes the entry much easier and safer.  I am soooo glad I found it at Camping World.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Oz

Sounds to me that the Stromberg steps would rate at a low "good", due to the bolts being easy to snap-off, only 2 bolts holding the handrail on, and that it's all steel, which is heavy and can easily begin to rust at the bolt holes and between the base and ground.  And with a price of $over $300... I'd think it would be pretty easy to make aluminum framed steps much cheaper, much lighter and every bit as stable (if not more stable if you put 2 bolts through each of the handrail mounts).
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca