North Carolina, 2013

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, September 30, 2013, 10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

And thus begins a new chapter!

We made it all the way to the campground at the Carolina Renaissance Festival in Huntersville, NC, and backed into our spot last night and hooked up to power.

I leveled the rig somewhat last night, enough to at least keep the fridge level enough, but today I'll have to use my bottle jack and get the rig lifted quite a bit more in the front.  Side to side we're pretty darn close now.

Also on today's agenda, after offloading the Jeep, is to make a trip down to Walmart or Lowe's to buy a hedge trimmer (works the best to take down all the pricker vines all over my campsite), get another porch mat and big garbage can with a lid, and fence posts, fencing, and a gate...we are going to have a great big puppy yard this year all fenced in!

If I have time after setting up the camp and the fencing today, I want to set up the workshop tent and stow the tools into it, but if not I can do that tomorrow and set up our display tent.

I'm also going to be taking out the old nasty carpet out of the RV and the soaked carpet padding, and then painting the floor with Kilz.  Then I'm going to put in new flat rubber carpet padding (probably use rubber stall mat material from Tractor Supply since its way cheaper and does the same thing) and new carpets.  I really want to get this done by the end of the week.  Rubber under the carpets is the perfect solution that I came up with after a lot of research.  They don't absorb any moisture since they are rubber, are still comfy and insulating for both heat and sound, and they last pretty much forever!  Just replace the carpet if it gets too worn or nasty, and never have to replace the padding again.

In between all this, I have to bring Patti to the doctor to take care of the huge kidney stone she is still suffering with.

Gotta go!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

So Patti called the doctor while I was offloading our workshop tools out of a friend's booth, and they said they see her right away at 1pm.  Off we went, and the doctor was a good one...they'll be removing the kidney stone on Friday!

I managed to get the whole workshop unloading into our camp before taking her to the doc, and I watched the puppy Paladin outside the hospital for the whole 3 hour visit.  Then we drove down to Lowes and got some more drinking water hose and I rented a hedge trimmer.  We had just enough time after that to go check in at the office and get our passes, then back out we went for groceries and to pick up Patti's meds at the CVS.

And that was pretty much it before it got too dark to do much else.

Today's goal is to level the rig, clear away all the brush and pricker vines with the hedge trimmer, set up the workshop tent and whatnot and get that ready to roll, set up the pavilion tent and get the stock inside it with the tables, then go back to Lowes and return the hedge trimmer and pick up the fencing and gate and posts needed to fence off our yard.

This is going to be one heck of a busy week!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

I got the rig leveled first thing yesterday morning, then cleared all the brush with the hedge trimmer, then set up the workshop tents and stowed all the workshop stuff neatly inside. 

After that was done, it was back to Lowes to return the hedge trimmer to the rental place, then 290 bucks later I came home with all the stuff to fence in our fairly large yard at this campground.  It took a while, but the pups have lots of room to run now!

Today's goal is to completely set up our pavilion, including the tables and stock, and to get mulch and flowers for the front.  And when all that is done, I have to take Patti with me to pick out new carpet for the RV, then swing by Tractor Supply for the rubber stall mats that I'm going to use as the padding under the carpets, and get everything else I need for the install.  Then tomorrow all I have to do is remove the front seats, remove the old carpet and use it as a template for the new ones, remove the old padding, paint the floors with Kilz, install the rubber stall mats, and put in the new carpets...then put the driver's and passenger's seats back in.

Friday I have to bring Patti to the hospital for her kidney stone procedure, so I'll be dropping her off then puppysitting the rest of the day worried about her until I go pick her back up.

Gonna be busy!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Carpets are removed and the floors are now thickly coated with Kilz.  I put in some cheap throw rugs for now, but we'll be installing new carpets and flat rubber carpet padding soon.

Workshop is set up, the display tent is almost completely set up, our porch and yard is all done, and I'm beat!

I have to go spread out the mulch in front of the tent first thing this morning, water the flowers in the big flower pots, make a dumpster run with the nasty old carpet padding and tack strips, get back and take a shower, then bring Patti to the hospital at 11am to get her kidney stone removed.  The procedure is at 1pm, and I'll be picking her up around 4pm...and I'll be worried sick until I hear from her!  But someone has to watch the pups.

And tomorrow is opening day!  Good weather in the forecast, so it should be great.

Keep happy thoughts and prayers for Patti please!

Kev

joanfenn

Good luck Patti.  Soon you will be feeling better.  Joan

Wantawinnie

Wishing Patti the best and for a speedy recovery. My dad had a similar sized kidney stone removed a few years ago and has been relatively trouble free since then. 

ClydesdaleKevin

They removed the stone and already Patti is feeling a lot better, and is insisting on working today!  The stint they left in is causing her some discomfort, but she gets that removed next week.

Woohoo!!!

So today is opening day in Carolina...let the marshmallows fly!!!

Kev

HandyDan

I'm so glad everything is working out. 
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Decent opening day yesterday, but man was it hot out!  90 and humid, and more of the same today!

Patti had fun in the booth and was quite happy to finally be feeling good enough to be back to work and not bedridden!  Although I did send her home to rest after 4:30 when the crowds thinned out.  I could tell she had had enough for one day.  Today I'm going to have her come in at noon and again go back to camp around 4:30.  Once they take the stint out this week I'll have my bouncy full of energy Patti back...Thank the gods!  Doing my work and hers is rough!  Really makes me appreciate how much she does!

So one more hot day of shooting marshmallows, then its a whole lot of catapults to be built this week.  Next week its the student days so I have to get double the amount done this week.

And take all 3 pups to the vet on Tuesday for well visits, weigh ins, Paladin's next set of shots, any shots Barnabas and Karli might need, and get their Heartguard and Advantix.

And get Patti to the doctor to have the stint removed.

And a whole bunch of other stuff.

Going to be a busy couple more weeks, then things will settle down a bit.

Is it vacation yet?...lol!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We made it through the weekend, and I'm taking today pretty much OFF!

Have to make a Walmart trip for crib matresses for the dog beds, but that is pretty much all I'm doing today!

Kev

Stripe

Groovy, good to hear all is well..

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

Took all three pups to the vet yesterday.  All shots done...yay!

Barnabas tested positive for trace ehrlichiosis, the same thing that took down Sheba.  He'll be on doxycycline for the next 30 days.

Anyhow, other than that they are all super healthy.

Today I have to finish up setting up the workshop and cut out and plane all my parts, then go to the vet and Walmart for some things...and that should bring me to dark.

More tomorrow and Friday!

Kev

Stripe

Kevin, you're a vet.  Is there a Army base or another service base nearby that has an Army Vet facility?( I know, but they're the service that provides VET services) that is where I got mine.  I also have a supply here.
Fredric,

Stripe

Hell, I have my own supply (read personal) of Doxy..  Me and my K9 got them for deploying..
I'll deliver them personal like if I have to!!!!
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

My bad...belay my last.  Patti was mistaken when she went to pick up the 5 pills they had ready at the compounding pharmacy.  They charged her 55 bucks, so she thought that was just for the 5 pills.  It was for the whole script thankfully, so 60 pills came out to 55 bucks.  A lot more expensive than it used to be, but not nearly as outrageous as we thought!  So Barnabas has his doxycycline now, which is a proven treatment for tick bourne pathogens...minocycline hasn't been tested thoroughly in dogs.

Patti gets her stint out today and I'll have my bouncy wifey back...yay!  Her friend Arlene is bringing her to the doctor this morning while I keep going on the catapults.  It was a late night working on them last night, but it'll get done today.

Off to work!

Kev

Stripe

Good to hear Kevin!  Hope all goes well.. ;)
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

So Patti went to have the stint removed, and the xray revealed that not all of the broken stone fragments have passed yet, so they are leaving it in for another week.  More meds for Patti, and they want her to drink fluids like crazy.

All the catapults are done for the weekend, and all the prep work for kids days is done.  What a lot of work that was!

I found time this morning to register Paladin with the AKC, and now I have just enough time for one cup of coffee before setting up my booth.  Supposed to be great weather this weekend!

Kev

joanfenn

Sorry to hear that Patti, hopefully you will be back to normal before long.  Have one for me too.  (I guess they mean water though, right?)

ClydesdaleKevin

Good day yesterday, although Patti had to work a short day since she's feeling so lousy.  She'll only be working a few hours today as well.

Hopefully we have another good day today!

Kev

Mr. T

Hello, Kev and Patti

I enjoy reading your posts.  You are doing what I want to do.  Only I want to attend dog agility events.  My babies are a smoothe collie and a little gray b-stardo, sometimes known as german schnauzer.

I am guessing you guys are in the OBX area.  My wife, Pam, and I are in Garner, NC, just outside of Raleigh. 

I look forward to following your travels.

Don T.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Don!  Its a fun life and I wouldn't want to do anything else.

Been crazy busy building catapults, and today is day 1 of three student days in a row.  9-2:30, which interupts my production schedule, which is why I've been so busy prepping parts since New York.  After the kids leave today I'll be spending a few hours this afternoon assembling more catapults, and ditto for the next 2 days after.  Friday I have to knock out some trebuchets for the weekend. 

Next week will also be extremely busy playing catch-up after student days, but then things should level out enough for us to start working on other projects and getting ready for winter vacation.

On a lighter note, we've decided to use water beads exclusively on student days.  That way at least i won't have to clean up a huge mess in addition to all the rest of the work going on.

Patti goes in next Monday for another x-ray to see if the stone debris has passed and to hopefully have the stint removed.  Until then the poor baby is on lots of meds and drinking fluids like crazy.  Wish her luck!

As soon as the sun comes up I'll be setting up the booth for student days...just a few demo catapults tied down to a big landscape timber...lol!

mmmmmm...coffee........

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Kids day 1 out of the way, and 2 more to go!

The kids responded well to the water beads and we had one of our best student days ever!  And no mess!

When I got back to camp I sanded and assembled and stained another 50 catapults, then got another bucket of water beads started, then went to the store for more snack bags and whatnot.

If we have another 2 days like yesterday we'll be sitting pretty for vacation!

Off to work!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Another great kids day!  2 down, 1 to go! 

When I checked on the pups halfway through the day, I noticed a big line of soot from the hot water heater going up the side of the rig.  I've repaired and replaced so many parts on that old Atwood, its time for a new one.  I ordered a second generation Girard tankless unit, which should be here sometime next week.  I'm hoping I made the right choice...lol!

I also bumped into our beloved Corningware coffee perc pot, which fell on the floor and shattered into a million pieces.  I got lucky and found a replacement pot on eBay without the lid or basket for cheap...which is all we need since we still have those parts.

Today should be another great kids day!

Judging from the reaction of the adults though, we are going to stick with marshmallows on the regular weekends, and just give out the water beads as ammo.

When the day was over it was back to the workshop to make another 50 catapults.  Finished up around 6pm.

Gotta take the pups out now, then set up the booth for the day.

Tomorrow its up bright and early again.  I have to drive to Gander Mountain to get some more lead for the trebuchets I have to build tomorrow, then stop by the carpet place and put half down on the carpets and rubber carpet padding...they are going to do the install professionally...then get back and knock out more Bandit catapults and trebuchets for the weekend.

Busy busy!!!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Last student day DONE!!!  Lots to do tomorrow, but at least hellweek is out of the way!

Patti was feeling to crappy to come today, so I was on my own with the highschoolers, and they were monsters!  She handles kids way better than I do...lol!

Pups were happy though that she got to stay home with them.

I picked up my new glasses after work today...way more stylish than my yellow tinted John Denver shooting glasses!

Time to relax for the rest of what little remains of the day.  I'm gonna read some more of the book I'm reading now, and that's it!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Got all the trebuchets done and a dozen more Bandit catapults on Friday, then got up early today to set up the booth for a normal weekend.

It was cold and sprinkly this morning with an iffy forecast, so the crowds were thin, but we still did pretty well.

Tomorrow they are forecasting perfect weather, so it should be very busy!

Around noon I looked over at Patti and she was sound asleep in her chair!  The meds are kicking her butt!

I sent her home to rest up for tomorrow, since I could handle the light crowd myself.

One more day and the proverbial Hell Week is done!  Then its a week of catch up, with a couple of small projects thrown into the mix.  The carpets are being installed the week after next, so I have to repair a small soft spot in the floor first.

After next week I'll be investing myself into some more projects, like the cold air intake setup and advancing the timing slightly, an oil and filter change, fuel filters, greasing fittings, etc.  And of course installing the new Girard tankless on demand water heater, which I might even start this week depending on workload and when it comes in.

Before we leave I also have to fix the crack in the additional freshwater tank we installed.  Eternabond doesn't stick to polyethylene all that well so it seems.

And now, to relax with a good book!

Kev