F-17 300 engine performance add ons

Started by Stork, September 01, 2013, 11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stork

F-17... Don't have one yet but I started thinking... why not get ahead of the curve and start researching... So after searching the Forum I found this company mentioned: Cilfford Performance
I was wondering if anyone has used any of these products i.e. Manifolds, Headers, Twin carb set up etc. If so what sort of performance gains did you get?
Down here in South Florida where it is nice and flat one needs a bit of pep to keep up with traffic especially getting on the highways or just crossing US 1! Lets just say on comming traffic can be 'interesting' Not looking to break the land speed record just looking to accelerate up to speed a bit faster when and if needed...
Next question will be brakes... More power should equal better brakes...
Thanks,
Robert
Looking for a good to excellent F-17... no hurry...

LittleLucy27

I can relate, I topped out around 50 on a Straight away and that took about a mile, lol
Did you ever find any help/info ?

DaveVA78Chieftain

I think I would look more towards a small block V-8 than hopping up the straight 6.

Dave
[move][/move]

cosmic

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

Logistics are a bit simple.  The Ford P-350 delivery van chassis was sitting there waiting for someone to put something on it. TRAVCO, Franks, and Dodge RV versions were using the Dodge Motorhome chassis so they (Winnebago) made a deal to transition to Dodge.

Dave
[move][/move]

TripleJ

The ford 300/6 is one of those engines where I wouldnt even consider putting money into in search of power.  In my opinion, it got its bulletproof reputation from never making enough power or spinning high enough rpm's to cause any damage - in an era where having 75hp at the wheels was acceptable.  The minute you start asking that engine to perform, you will start having problems with that extra long cam/crank and warping the head.

One of the things that are never in shortage here in the midwest are good running vehicles that are rusting themselves into the junkyard.  A good running 351 EFI would probably be a REAL nice swap that would for sure bring results
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

legomybago

QuoteAlso during the late sixties and early seventies, the 300 was used in larger vehicles such as dump trucks, many weighing into the 15,000â€"20,000 pound (7,000â€"9,000 kg) range. These 300s were equipped with a higher flow HD (Heavy Duty) exhaust manifold, since the engines were going to be constantly working in the 3000â€"4000 rpm range. These rare, yet effective manifolds had higher flow than the electronic fuel injection 4.9 (300) manifolds and some headers

I wouldnt pull a 300 and put a v8 in myself. Make sure you indeed have a 300, maybe somewhere down the line a PO put a 240 in it?? The 240 was doggy even in the pickup trucks, but the 300's are great engines. And yes you can hot rod them
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy