Repaint 77 Mini Winnie

Started by Froggy1936, August 28, 2013, 05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Froggy1936

Or why did I start This project 8/8/13 Due to cracking and peeling due to vibration wind and rain  But let the carnage begin  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Froggy1936

cosmic

Holy moly Frank. I thought she looked great last month when I got the tour of it. Are you spraying or rolling the paint.

LJ-TJ

tiinytina

new eyebrow decal in the mail to you today...     :angel:
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Audog

Hey were are all the windows? Are they taped up or is this one of those closed models?   

Reason I'm asking is I just got here because I bought a 77 Minnie too and yours is  the only on I've seen that looks like it maybe the same chassis and drivtrain, would life to hear your thoughts on the model and pick your brains.  Thanks
Enjoy Life, it's ending sooner than you think.

James E Vining

Quote from: cosmic on August 28, 2013, 06:54 PM
Holy moly Frank. I thought she looked great last month when I got the tour of it. Are you spraying or rolling the paint.

This may be a Stupid Question but can you actually use a roller to paint the aluminum? I would think you would want to use a Urethane based paint (automotive Quality)
I have never painted a Aluminum Anything, I have though painted 4 Guitars all using Urethane and had Amazing Results.
Using HPLV Guns though no rollers brushes etc.

Oz

Absolutely.   That's exactly how I did mine.  With Rustoleum.  Dave Bailey used similar from Tractor Supply. 

Message search - > exterior paint - > paint exterior - > aluminum

things like that.  You'll find the topic I have in mind.  Covers it pretty thoroughly.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Lefty

There was actually a project car that the guys at Hot Rod magazine did once... Rolled thinned down Rustoleum paint onto a car , then blocking out the runs, followed by a full polish.

The key they said was, get the paint super thin, so it flows really well and self-levels. Do many, many coats... They said it took about 3 coats before it no longer was translucent.. and about 2-3 more coats after that for complete coverage.

They then wet sanded the paint to remove the runs, and polished it with a buffer... It looked like a $5,000 paint job when they were finished.. for less than $100 in materials. The only drawback was time... that many coats requires a lot of time & patience... But if your time is free, why not?

I'll try to find a link to it...

Edit- found it: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_0707_1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job/viewall.html

ps: There's TONS of articles on the web relating to this type of paint-job.. Just search "Rustoleum roll-on car paint job"
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

OldEdBrady

ith the Alfabago, I used a roller.  HOWEVER< it was only a 2-3" roller.  Plus a small brush.  (To fit in the tightet spots, of which they ran down the entire sides, fron, and back).  Used Rustoleum and tape to protect the areas frommeach color.  Took me a couple of weeks, but I was satisfied with the results (see the main page for this site.  There's a shot of it after it was done) and so were many others who saw it.  In fact, I pulled into one campground that didn't allow "older" RVs/trailers/whatever, and were happy to have me there.

Froggy1936

Progress, Frt & R/S done Useing Krylon Fusion for Plastic (i painted my bathroom sink with this 5 yrs ago ) It holds up very well And it is a very good match to the cab that i painted base coat clear coat in 2005 . I priced Urathan they estimated i would need 3 Gallons of paint & 3 gallons of primer With hardeners and shipping est was $ 800.00 for paint  70 cans of Krylon was $400.00 And i can do it in panels instead of having to paint all at once on a weekend !  As for the windows i removed the frt one when i made repairs to roof and cab shelf (i am going to start a project showing repairs)  The R/R side window (removed) is now in the rear (large window removed)  For my set up i do not need glass . Frank

Lefty

I think it's looking great!

To me, it makes no sense to spend $3,000-$5,000 (or more if it needs a lot of bodywork) having an RV as old as ours re-painted at a professional shop. It's not going to add enough value to the RV to ever make it worth it. Plus, there's the satisfaction you get when somebody asks you who painted it.. and you can reply "I did it myself.."
Of course.. I've seen home painted RV's that looked like a 5yr old blind kid with parkinsons painted it.. assisted by his very drunk father.  lol  Might not wanna claim that paintjob, just say the PO did it. :P

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao Now that's funny and I don't care what you say. :)rotflmao Nicely done Frank. So far so good.

Froggy1936

Hey I resemble that remark ! Started on the rear removed ladder bumper and spare tire holder That took all day 8 hrs And it is hot outside !!

Froggy1936

Well the rear is in paint all body work done on the rear Left side is next I will have to replace the wood filler in the lower section  its all mush  !Moving on Learning how to use spray cans for large items, Its not like a spray gun , And the paint is very thin. But continuing my education ! Frank

LJ-TJ

:laugh: Frank, Frank, Frank  D:oH! How's the index finger? :)rotflmao

Froggy1936

I learned that a long time ago (numb finger for days) I am using a snap on handle that has a trigger to depress the spray button The Krylon cans have an adjustable spray nozzel (rotates) wich helps with spraying around fixtures The primer cans require full trigger pull to spray and do not have adjustable spray nozzels   Good question though Frank

Wantawinnie

Lots of work there, nice job. :)ThmbUp  Curious to see how you did the window modifications.

Froggy1936

Hi Tina no decal yet did you see ship to address ? If it went to north Wales ill get it when i get home in October   Frank

Froggy1936

Wantawinnie see project on roof & window repairs . The rear is all reassembled changed spare tire holder from white to black . I need reccomendations on decals for rear and sides I am not sure that they are needed ? The ones on E Bay range from $20.00 to $300.00  I definatly do not want the 70,s Winnebago orange and yellow stripes  I have ordered a classic Winnebagos emblem for the frt and i have a Winnebago emblem for the rear upper . it took 3 days to remove the trim and rotted wood from lower left side and replace with new pine and styerfoam filler and reinstall and seal lower trim now to start body work if the rain will stop  Frank

ClydesdaleKevin

Looking great so far, Frank!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

maxximuss

Great info, nice work it sure is looking good!

dezertgurl

Looks great! I always wanted to repaint my Winnie, but never got the time.
Just wanted to comment that as a former painter (mostly houses but occasionally car & trucks) I know that the key to a good paint job is PREPARATION! If you do that right you can get great looking results with a brush, roller, or spray can. But if you skimp on prep work the world's most expensive paint will look like S*&@ when you're done.  Looks like you are  taking your time and doing it right, so keep up the good work!  :)ThmbUp
Just sold 1973 Winnie D20 Brave

Froggy1936

Well pertaining to body work i could have spent a little more time on some of the filling but I am very tired of working on this rig and rapidly running out of energy. it definatly looks better but the repairs are not unoticeable. But at any rate its finished for now. And i can take a rest Best reccomendation is if you are planning on doing something like this do it before your 70th birthday It is very labor intensive  Frank

[smg id=5794]

[smg id=5795]

[smg id=5796]