Natures Head Toilet Installed

Started by joanfenn, August 11, 2012, 06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

A few more pics of the install in our 89 Holiday Rambler Imperial:

This is just another angle of the install, where you can see how I routed the vent hose and made a flange for it:

Here it is from the front:

And this is the hose where it ties in under the sink with a T-fitting.  Yep its horizontal on our rig...it comes out of the black tank at an angle, then across, then up and out to the roof.

Finally, one last pic, showing the revised sticker on what used to be the black tank...lol!

These toilets really are worth the money!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Update on how much water to add to the Nature's Head composting toilet when being a fulltimer.

VERY little!  Add a 1 gallon bag of dry peat moss to the toilet, spritz it with a spray bottle, maybe 20 pumps or so, then add the other gallon and spritz it again with 20 pumps or so.  Once the top is back in place, turn the handle about 10 times to mix it all up, and you are all set for a whole month.  If you premoisten the peat moss too much, you'll only get about 3 weeks out of it.  Trial and error here of course, but this seems to work the best for us fulltimers...just two adults.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Hmmm... Let's see... There's Patti... that's one adult... but, who's the other?

:)rotflmao
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

One year later, and we are still VERY happy with the Nature's Head composting toilet. 

Just a couple of notes though on its usage.

If the pee bottle overfills into the peat moss, don't try to save the peat moss.  You HAVE to change it out, or else the composting stops completely and it starts to smell almost immediately.  Keep a very close eye on your pee bottle level and make sure it never overflows, even a little bit, into the peat moss chamber.

Also, if you do a lot of boondocking where you can't rinse the pee bottle out every time you empty it, you would be well advised to buy an extra pee bottle.  Urine forms crystals almost immediately if you don't rinse it every time, and then you can't see into the bottle as well to make sure its not getting too full.  With a spare bottle, once you get back to a campground you can rinse the bottle out every time at, you can take the crystal coated bottle out and fill it with cleaning strength vinegar which cleans out the bottle completely when soaked for 24 hours, and still have another bottle to use while its soaking.

Lastly, if you are in a public campground and don't want the offensive odor of the pee bottle filling the public bathroom while you dump the bottle into a toilet, use 1/4 cup of Thetford Natural holding tank deodorizer in the pee bottle each time you dump it.  It keeps the smell down to nonexistant!  If out in the wild and boondocking, we don't bother with the deodorizer.

Its an awesome investment and I still very highly recommend it!

Kev

joanfenn

Best investment we made.  Use the one unit in both the trailer and the motor home.  Just bought an extra installation kit for the MH and depending on what we want to take, just move the toilet to that one.  Sure don't miss the dump stations. :)ThmbUp

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep!  The foam seal on the bottom of the top unit started to come off on ours a couple of months ago (since nothing sticks to polyethelene for long...lol!), and Nature's Head sent us a whole roll of the self adhesive foam weather strip they us as the seal.  Great company that really stands behind their product!

Even as I type this our new pee bottle is in use, and we are soaking the old bottle in cleaning strength vinegar.  Should be clean as a whistle this time tomorrow!

Kev

joanfenn

"Even as I type this our new pee bottle is in use"

God now THAT picture is in my mind. OUT,OUT..............

ClydesdaleKevin

LMAO!!!  Installed is what I meant to say...lol!  No laptop in the loo!

Kev