How many people use Dielectric Grease on Bulbs, Plugs, Dist Caps?

Started by James E Vining, August 15, 2013, 11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E Vining

I remember seeing this stuff when I was younger and seen it again a few days ago while I was wandering aimlessly through teh parts store rtying to remember everything I needed.
I was wondering how many people use this stuff on their Plugs, Plug Wires, Dist Caps, Tail lights, etc.
I have read the benefits about it helping prevent Voltage drop, corrosion, etc.
Funny thing is all the time I have worked on vehicles I have never used this before, I have used a Megaton of (Water Displacement Attempt #40) AKA WD 40.
The Di Grease comes in a fairly small tube so I Assume a little goes along way, or so I hope although it was pretty cheap like $2 I think.
Just wanted to get others opinions and what items ya all may have come up with to do the same thing as the Di-Grease

Mytdawg

I use it for all those things.  It helps a lot, especially with something that doesn't get used very often.  I just changed the turn signal bulb on my 1985 S-10 Blazer and the factory! bulb had been packed in dialectric.  Bulb and socket came right apart, no corrosion or rust after almost 30 years in Michigan.  You bet I packed it again when I replaced it...

Keeps the spark plug boots from drying and getting fused to the spark plugs etc etc.  I keep a tube of that and anti-sieze in the toolbox.  You break off one sparkplug and you never want to do that again...   :-[

ibdilbert01

I too use it on everything!  It does a good job at stopping corrosion.   You can get it in larger tubes on Amazon. 
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Stripe

A Chief on the first ship I was stationed on thought he was going to be funny and asked me to get "Light Bulb Grease" thinking I was some kind of newbie idiot.  I returned with a tub of Petroleum Jelly.  It's what my boss used at his Carnival Ride company to keep rain from seeping into light bulb sockets on all our rides..  Then I said if that wouldn't do, I could go to the store and get him a container of Dielectric Grease. 

He was not amused.  The rest of the division thought I was a genius..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

PwrWgnWalt

I have been using it on bulb bases for many year, and have been using it during my recent electrical wiring work on the Beach-Craft, putting a thin coat on wire ends before crimping connectors on. I also use it on battery posts.  It is also used in high voltage household wiring in my home, probably yours too... inside the circuit breaker panel where the electric feed attaches to the panel.

Bought a small tube of it "Dielectric Grease" from Radio Shack; looks like a small tube of toothpaste.

I place a smear on the Pos contact(s) at the bottom of the bulb, and wipe my greasy finger around the circumference/sides of the base.
Walt & Tina

James E Vining

Quote from: Coachmanm500 on August 16, 2013, 06:32 PM
A Chief on the first ship I was stationed on thought he was going to be funny and asked me to get "Light Bulb Grease" thinking I was some kind of newbie idiot...

:)rotflmao   :)rotflmao  Oh thats Hilarious, I know all of the Bulbs in the Clearance, Marker, and rear Brake and Signal were corroded and some quite stuck in place, I literally had to file and sand some of the holders and bulbs to get them working properly so I will definitely be opening them back up and using the grease.
I am just glad none of the sockets are like the ones i had on my 74 Power wagon or my 70 Duster where the 1157 and 1156's inserted into a socket as some of those were dang near impossible to get out and this would of been great for them but I was younger then and did not know if dielectric grease.
I have some pretty decent (Cannot recall brand name) but 8 mm Plug wires so I will use that as I hate to have a Boot stick and ruin a Plug wire
I also read this works good on Switches? This would be helpful on many of my projects from my Peavey CS Amps to the rocker switches in the Winne.

Thanks for all teh great info and reply's I appreciate them

James E Vining

Thanks I will be sure to use Sparingly and be sure not to create any shorts with the grease.
Thanks again :)

jkilbert

I use it on all of my bulbs and ignition parts. I've also been using on my trailer plug to help prevent corrosion there?
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

ClydesdaleKevin

I'm now in the habit of using it on all electrical connections.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.