To Use Damper Timing Tape and set it correctly Since Timing marks seem off?

Started by James E Vining, August 10, 2013, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E Vining

I am thinking in order to install a Damper/Harmonic Balancer Timing Tape and set it correctly since it appears my Balancer is not correct according to weird timing, I need to remove #1 Plug and use a Wire or something similar and find exact TDC then mark the balancer and install the tape accordingly correct?

If I use the Line on the balancer and it is not the correct one and is not actually TDC my timing marks will all be off.

I just feel it has to be incorrect as I cannot get the engine to even run if I set the Timing at 5 BTDC according to the Damper Line and teh Timing Marks so to me something has to be seriously wrong.

See I want to do this because I want to find the Mechanical Advance start and what the full amount is, not to mention I want to check the Vacuum advance at what hg it starts and what its max Advance is too.

I need an accurate way to measure them both plus I want to properly set the timing so I know it is right as I keep second guessing myself doing it by ear.

Froggy1936

You need to make a piston stop. Take a old sparkplug that fits the engine and break out the insulator . Using a steel rod (welder available) or a threaded rod (welder not available)  Grind the end to a ball shape to avoid piston damage. Place the rod into the plug so that it will stop piston any amt before top dead center the closer the better. Fasten rod (weld or double nut) If useing nuts make sure they will fit thru plug opening with the piston far enough down to allow installation of stop snug the stop (In no. 1 cly) then rotate engine BY HAND !! either direction When the piston hits the stop mark the dampner at the 0 mark on indicator Then rotate engine in opposite direction till piston contacts stop again and mark the damper at 0 on indicator again . The 1/2 way between your new marks is TDC  grind a new line in the damper with a dremel with a cutoff disk  Note if the outer ring on the damper is moveing on its own  Damper will need replaced  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

James E Vining

Great Idea I had not thought of this, Ya I will check the Damper as I recall they were Insulated by a Rubber Sleeve, so I will check to be sure it is not rotating independent  of the crank

MotorPro

If you find that it has turned...replace it once they move they will keep moving until they come apart and do major damage.