1985 p30 fuel pump (electric) where is it?

Started by PA85, August 06, 2013, 07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

I have a question...

In all this discussion about electric fuel pumps... did he ever find his fuel pump?  Was it positively determined he only has a mechanical one? 

I think there was a question about that somewhere here and I was wondering if he ever figured it out.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

PA85

Never found a electric pump. My rv is a early 85, so no electric. But I am thankful for all the knowledge I am getting from all the members. Thanks everyone.

Oz

Got it.  Good stuff, yes?  There are additional topics on the board about adding electric pumps as well with even more info.

:)   :)ThmbUp

PA85

Yes I have read alot of the post.
now I just need to know which is the best pump to go with.

Jupp318

By any chance do you have any pictures of your fuel tank out of the chassis?.  I have recently bought an '85 Chieftain 27 RU which uses the P30 Chassis and it has started leaking fuel from the tank area.  I currently have the fuel filler pipe off the vehicle and have found the vent hose has badly perished.  I'm not certain that the vent pipe is my problem as I may have damaged it when removing it.  Should the filler cap be vented as I would like to put a low air pressure into the tank to see if I still have a problem once I have replaced the filler hoses.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Jupp318

Is there any relevance of the picture of the fuel tank as I know mine is smooth rather than ribbed, although I do have 3 straps holding the tank in place.  If you were taking your tank out what would be the order of play?.  Would you undo the drivers side nuts on the straps first?  How do you get your Winnie high enough to remove the tank?, Are you in danger of breaking the fuel lines when you drop the tank (something I have never done before).  What do I need to watch out for?. Also can I tell from the VIN if indeed I have an electric pump at all?

Sorry for all the questions but having read down links and other posts I am now convinced that the hose between the pump and regulator has split.  Luckily my Winnie has been converted to run LPG so I have duel fuel, although I cannot run the generator until I have the Petrol tank fixed.

It's good to be back  :)

Cheers Ian....

BTW should I change my Id to Jupp454 now I have sold the old '74 D19?.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Because they had to order the chassis' early, it was not uncommon for Winnebago to install this years coach (ie 1985) on the previous years chassis (ie 1984).  So, locate the Chevy VIN number and see it the sixth digit (year) is a 4 or 5.

Reffering to 77-94 Chevy MH Chassis Service manual (Appendix 7-7): http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?s1rz7gx9palbdlc

1984 and first half of 1985 chassis model did not have an electric fuel pump
Electric fuel pump started in last half of 1985 chassis run as an aid to help overcome VApor Lock issues.

I would try lower tank level using some sort of a jack setup.  Hose connections should provide some flexability.

Dave
[move][/move]

HandyDan

You will need to detach the filler hose from the gas tank or from the filler.  There is a good chance the rubber is getting brittle and cracked.  If that is the case, you could just cut it and put in a new one. 

Dan

Edit:  I should have read all the posts.  I see you already have the filler detached.  Please disregard.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Oz

Ian, you cease to amaze me.  I start to wonder if you're still out there, buzzing about the UK in your Winnie and next thing you know... along comes the RAF and drops you right in the middle of things!

:)

Jupp318

Well there you go Mark, I'm still here but with a different rig. On that subject once again I'm beginning to pull my hair out.  My VIN is 1GBJP37WCF3317347.  I cannot tell if I should have an in-tank electric pump.  I cannot see a pressure regulator on the passenger-side frame rail.  The fuel tank is smooth and I believe holds 60 Gals.  I cannot hear any noise with the ignition switched on and engine NOT running. I now have no petrol in the tank, but before the leak the generator would run OK.

The original problem was Petrol pouring out at the back of the rig, apparently running off the top of the tank.  Engine was running on LPG at the time. If there isn't an electric pump what could the problem be?

Cheers Ian...

legomybago

Its at the age where you definetly need to replace the rubber fuel lines on top of the fuel tank. Back the duels up on some blocks....use a floor jack with some big blocks...lower the tank a foot...then maybe you can reach up in there and replace the lines (I had alot of room with mine anyway..1986 P30). If you only have 1 wire running down to your sending unit, it should just be a standard sending unit..no pump....thats my guess ???
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

DaveVA78Chieftain

1GBJP37WCF3317347

1GB = USA, Chevrolet
J = 10000-14000 GVW
P = Forward Control Chassis
3 = 1 ton
7 = Motor Home
W = 454 4BBL LE8
C = Check Digit
F = Year 1985
3 = Assembly Plant - Chevy Detroit
317347 = serial #

Chevy also used a Regular Production Option (RPO) sticker that contains option codes of other chassis features that were installed.  Should also be posted somewhere in the drivers area.

Dave
[move][/move]

bluebird

Your coach has a return fuel line from the mechanical pump. It will be pumping fuel even if you're running on propane. My 80 Itasca was a duel fuel coach when I bought it. It should have two solenoids, one should be near the top of the engine, the gas one, the propane one on my coach was right by the vaporizer. If the return line rubber is rotten so are the rest. I used 2 floor jacks to remove my tank, with the coach up on blocks. I did a lot of welding on my frame while I had the tank out because I was pulling a trailer with a race car on it. I used 2 jacks because I had them, and want to take the tank out from under to do my welding job,but one could probably do it with one.   

PA85

I will send you a pic when I get home. I believe we have the same tank, no pump inside.

Froggy1936

You can remove tank with 1 jack The only problem is if the tank is not completly empty The sloshing fuel will make it extremly hard to handle (voice of experience) Actually an empty tank could be handeled with out a jack if veh is high enough to get yourself under the tank !  My 50 gal tank weighs approx 35 lb ,s  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

HandyDan

I learned the hard way about the gasoline (petrol) solenoid on the dual fuel system.  It has to have power to it to keep it open.  If, for some reason, the power line breaks, melts on the exhaust, shorts, etc. the engine will not run unless you switch to LP. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

PA85

PA85

Jupp318

Fabulous information guys, all I need now are the sizes of hose I need to do the job.  I might be able to have some time on a 4 post ramp, so I will need everything ready in advance.  I have the Filler side sorted so it will be the hoses on top of the Tank I will need to replace.  Also are there any in the frame rails I need to replace?.

Once again, Thanks a lot!!

Cheers Ian...

PA85

gen.-5/16"=6ft
pump outlet-1/2"=8ft
return lines-1/4" & 5/16=8ft
over flow-5/8"=5ft

this is what I bought but have not installed yet. I do have metal tubing outside of rail and inside frame rail.
-outside of frame rail is 1/2" metal tubing(main line to fuel pump) with a couple sections with 1-1/2ft of rubber hose
-inside frame rail has 2 metal tubing that are 1/4" and 5/16" with also sections with 6"-1ft rubber hose

hope this helps but double check yours just in case.   

Jupp318

Well I have removed my tank.  I took some photo's along the way, here is the most telling one.  I have measured the metal pipes coming out of the tank and they are 8mm (5/16") for 3 of them and one at 9.5mm which is smaller that 3/8" which worries me a little.  Only one pipe is flared in order to keep the hose well sealed and that is the one that isn't on the fuel gauge sender unit.  I am going to paint the tank before it goes back to try and stop further corrosion.

Cheers Ian...

Stripe

Woof..

I dunno what's more of a nightmare, driving on the M25 or having to deal with that mess you have there...
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

legomybago

That looks yummy....It's a good feeling knowing those hoses will be new when your cruising down the road later on.....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy