Should I install a transmission shift kit?

Started by Mislcat, September 03, 2013, 11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mislcat

Hm? I have a 93 Winnebago Brave (27') with a f.i. 454 and automatic w/overdrive.  Engine has just 19,000 miles and she runs great.  However, a friend told me a shift kit for the trans. and a cooler would be a great investment.  Anyone with some good advice on this one?  I'm pretty handy with tools, so installing a shift kit would probably not be too hard if they resemble kits put on car transmissions.  Let me know your thoughts....

bluebird

I would NOT install a shift kit in a 4l80E trans. Don't need one as the trans is computer controlled. It may very well already have a cooler on it, look in the front of the coach. Most of the older trannys did benefit from a shift improver kit, but did very on what kit was used. Transco kits usually make a trans shift very hard, at least that's my experience with them. I have used a B&M shift improver kit in a th350 with success, but that's  not what you have. Change the filter, fluid, and make sure it has a cooler and be done.   

cosmic

are you trying to improve your 1/4 mile time.  lol.

ibdilbert01

I'm assuming since your friend didn't say what "type" of shift kit, hes referring to a performance shift kit, basically a more positive "firmer" shift.  While the quick tight shifts are much easier on clutch pad wear, it can be harder on the rest of the components.    Combined with how heavy these rigs are, I'd be afraid banging through the gears would do more harm than good.

As for a transmission cooler, not a bad idea, especially if your towing or have mountain passes to go through.    But I'd be surprised to find out the manufacturer didn't already put on on there.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Mislcat

I guess I'll check to see if it does have a trans cooler and go from there.  You guys are right though...making into a "bang shifter" could place undo stress on other components.  The trans shifts smooth right now.  I guess like the ole....."if it ain't broke, why fix it"

Btw Bluebird, you would laugh at my 1/4 times any day!

bluebird

QuoteBtw Bluebird, you would laugh at my 1/4 times any day!

Kinda lost here? What does this mean? Send a pm if ya want.