Windshield Washer Pump Rebuid?

Started by James E Vining, August 10, 2013, 05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E Vining

I was looking at the Windshield Washer Unit and Found it spins, Squeals a little but does not Spew any Water, Checked intake Hose and it is Clear and I removed the Pump to sprayers Hose and still get nothing.
I took teh pump apart and found a Plastic Impeller in there with a Brass or copper cover along with a Teflon, HMW or UHMW Washer/Spacer which was stuck to teh cover.
I am curious if anyone else has taken one apart and fixed it and what their innards looked like?
I was curious if I should use a small amount of O'Ring Grease or vaseline to lube the Bushing and the area where the Impeller,washer meet the cover??

Stripe

I remember doing that when I disassembled the pump on my 944, I used wd-40 to clean the parts. then reassembled the pump. Worked after that.. I did not use any lube save maybe where the motor shaft connection was in the pump..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

James E Vining

Oh I did something Wrong, I fired it up and it ran smooth then all of a sudden stopped and when I re disassembled it the Impellers were all Cremated. SO now I need to find one in a wrecking yard, I suppose pretty much any Dodge PU in the 70's should work I think my 74 power wagon had the same style ( I think)

Stripe

Yipe!  Good luck, otherwise I believe you can pick up a generic pump from any chain parts store..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

jkilbert

I did the generic pump/reservoir combo from the auto parts store.. Works pretty well
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

Oz

Mine was toast too so, while I was at the Magic Junkyar, I just grabbed a used one out of some wreck.  Nice when you can pretty much use anything to get the job done cheaply.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

James E Vining

Ya I love Wrecking yards I get like a Kid at Christmas time  :)rotflmao
I have to see if i can find a Washer Pump and a Parking Brake assembly, I noticed my backing plate was a bit loose and I could hear it rattle so I investigated and when I pulled the drum the shoes, the bar sprig thing, and some other items fell out onto ground. no wonder it wasn't working LOL.