No ballast resistor needed with 12v aftermarket coil?

Started by James E Vining, July 28, 2013, 01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E Vining

If I run a aftermarket Coil I would no longer even need the ballast resistor since the coil would now be a 12V unit not the 6V which is what the coil gets?

MotorPro

The purpose of the resistor is to stop the points from burning up. Many high performance aftermarket coils actully require a second resistor.

James E Vining

Ok so I accidentally started talking about this post in my other post sorry about that.
Ok so I do not have Points so no issue there (Swapped over to electronic) Found newer ECU's have went to 4 pin only and have eliminated the Lower Voltage Wire/Pin.
As to teh aftermarket coils, Some of them require a Separate ballast resistor?? SO the do not run on 12 V either?
I assume if a person buys a aftermarket coil and it needs a special ballast resistor it would state so or possibly come with one?
If my coil states 12 V on it should I be running 12 V to it?
I do not know if it is a aftermarket coil of some sorts as this Winne was Given to me in 2008 and the guy who had it knew nothing at alll about it.
I mean nothing

DaveVA78Chieftain

For Dodge based ignition systems the ballast resistor is used on both points based AND Electronic ignition based systems.

Please refer to page 6 (http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/312/page06.htm) of the Chrysler Master Mechanic Training Publications Electronic Ignition Troubleshooting: http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/312/cover.htm for a description of how the dual ballast resistor is used.

If memory serves me correctly, it is only the "Gold ECM" high performance versions that use only 4 pins.  Most all stock MOPAR setups used the 5 pin ECM setup (All motorhome versions).

Unless the aftermarket coil documentation specifically states to not use a ballast resistor, then normally a ballast resistor is used unless you are using a replacement ignition system (i.e MSD) that does not require it.

Please refer to http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0.html for other OEM information used in the Motorhome applications.

Dave
[move][/move]

James E Vining

Hey thanks, Hmm I wonder if I got a High performance Version from Autozone, it was only $19.99 so I find that hard to believe but  weirderd things have happened to me.

James E Vining

I went a looked at the ECM (Electronic Control Module) I was calling it a ECU as I somehow thought that was it's name thanks for helping me with that, anyway The #3 Pin is missing on mine which goes to the aux 5 Ohm Side of the ballast Resistor and is the J4-18DG wire and according to the wiring diagram the only other wire that has Power from battery is the J10C-18RE which looks like it is Direct 12 V no ballast Resistor.
I noticed something new today as I was running it when it was sitting Ignition on but not running I was getting about 6.5 V at the coil and as it set it seemed to keep dropping but when I started it it jumped to about 7.5 V then when I was running it at 3K it was around 9.5 V .
I assume as it heats up it gains more resistance and when the engine is running it cools off and resistance drops?

DaveVA78Chieftain

The coil is turned on and off for every cylinder firing therefore the coil voltage is actually a pulsating (AC) signal.  As the ON/OFF frequency increases due to RPM increassing, the effective voltage at the coil increases.  Has nothing to do with heat.

Dave
[move][/move]

PwrWgnWalt

Addition to an old thread, in case anyone refers to it later...

12V or 6V stamped on the coil refers to the vehicle's chassis/frame/starter electric system power - you need a 12V coil if you use a 12V battery (and a 6V coil if your chassis/starter uses only a 6V battery - these are usually much older vehicles).

The earliest ECU's (Mopar Electronic Control Unit) from 1972-1979 all had 5 pins (from the factory) and all pins were used. These must use the dual ballast resistor (our Motorhomes), at 1.0 Ohm (+/- 0.5 Ohm)  (Normal, or 'Run'), and 5.0 Ohms (Auxiliary, or "Start").  The Auxiliary circuit (5.0 Ohms) fed the pin not used later (as that circuit was made internally inside the 4-pin ECU's). 

The later ECU's
used [/font][/size]only 4 pins. Many (most/all?) of the replacement ECU boxes available today use only 4 pins (e.g., the Mopar Performance "Orange Box").  The 5-pin harness can connect right to the 4-pin ECU with no issue. These 4-pin ECU's don't really need the 'Auxiliary' circuit of the Dual Ballast Resistor, but many folks just leave the wiring alone - and that's OK. With a 4-pin Electronic ignition ECU, you could use a single ballast resistor from 0.5-1.4 Ohms.  Some suggest you don't have to use a ballast resistor at all with a 4-pin ECU... but admit the life of the coil will be shortened.

With points, you really should use a Ballast Resistor of some sort (may be coil-specific), or you will likely burn the points in addition to shortening the life of the coil.  The stock Mopar points-ignition uses a single
resistor (two prongs) at about 0.5 Ohms (+/- 0.1 Ohms).I would suggest you should use a Ballast Resistor with any coil that does not already have one built-in. Depending on the coil, check their specs for the resistance they ask for as there are many different available ratings.

Walt & Tina