Parts for 74 Brave Hartwell door latch?

Started by kage, July 24, 2013, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kage

Hi, I have a 74 Brave and the key locking portion of the door latch is missing.  The latching mechanism works fine but the cylinder that fits inside --where the key goes -- is missing.  The brand is Hartwell but that company seems to be out of business, at least in terms of Winnebago.  Does any one know of a source for replacement parts for Hartwell locks or a complete replacement for the latch?  I'm trying to keep a stock look if I can. Or is someone has a spare I could buy? (heh). My only other thought so far is to do a locking deadbolt from below so it would be out of sight.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Stripe

There are three ways you can approach this dilemma.

option 1: Find a donor key cylinder (keep the rest of the latch for spare parts) and have a key made for it.  I used to work for my uncle years ago and any locksmith worth his measure will do it. It may take a bit of time and cash, but you will have a keyed working cylinder. And you retain the "Original Look"

2: Do what my RV already had on it, install a Deadbolt lock. It's really not that difficult to do. And is less expensive than option 1.

3: Find a replacement latch that closely matches yours and hope it has a key (if you buy used). Again you will closely retain that "Original Look".
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

That would be a good idea to do as well.  I will be leaving this topic where it is because, sooner or later the latch is going to break and folks will be wondering the same thing.

My latch also didn't work so I put in a deadbolt also (which is a good idea anyway), and got a pull handle off another RV from the Magic Junkyard.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

kage

I got a used key cylinder and put it together with my old lock, but someones got to want this, they are too hard to find! Thanks for asking though.

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

jbullet

Did anyone have, or identify where to find replacement parts for a Hartwell door latch (circa '73 to '75 winnie)?   I could use an inoperable one so long as the deadbolt is in good shape (no chips).   Thanks, Jon

Sorry for the delay -- busy with the Winnie.  Here are a couple of pictures of the Hartwell latch that I'm hoping to fix and put on the door of my '73 (which is drilled for it, as well as the jamb).   As far as I know, it was standard on Winnies in '72 to '73 or '74, before being changed out for the Trimark.  Specifically, I need to changeout the chipped bolt (see picture).  Thx