1976 Winnebago D21 Brave complete rennovation - Windows 2013

Started by rude-a-bego, July 22, 2013, 09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rude-a-bego

The windows on "Dimples" are trashed. The glass is all intact but the window tracks are all rotted, the rubber is all dried out, shrunk up and several of the handles are missing.

Sooooo.... I had a choice, spend about $1000 on new windows or spend about $150 on new tracks, gaskets, handles and some serious elbow grease making the old ones like new.  If you plan to rejuvenate your old windows, here are few tips I figured out:
1. If you know the part number from your manufacturer, don't panic if the new gaskets look bigger than the old one. Depending on how old your RV is, the old gaskets can really shrink up.
2. Be careful taking the old glass out. You don't want to bend the aluminum frames when working the glass out.
3. Make sure you get all the old adhesive out of the track; this will insure the new gasket will seat tightly.
4. Replacing screens is pretty easy. However, use the cheap plastic roller. The more expensive metal one (at Home Depot) cuts the screen too easy if you slip.
5.  A thin chisel works great to scrape the crap out of the tracks.

I'll post the final pictures when I get them both done.
Rudy  ,':{ Ì´

aaron7

LJ-TJ

Heck of a project. Mine are do I've just been avoiding it. Keep the pictures coming. It will be a big help. What adhesive are you using for the new handles? Hm?

Mytdawg

My tracks have moss in them.   :-[

At the very least I need new felt for around the glass.  And I need screen frames in the front only.  All the rest are there.

Oz

Window and door removal, and body panel removal and installation are all covered in the Eyebrow Winnebago Coach Manual as well!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

rude-a-bego

I used gorilla glue.  The glass would have to break in order for the handle to come off now.  FYI: make sure you mist a little water on the handle before putting it on the glass.

cosmic

thanks for the pics keep them coming. I bought all the new rubbers and felt from  Winnebago dealer and paid. 250 to the door.  I guess that dealer padded it pretty good. only one near me.
I figured I would do them in the late fall. thanks for the tips and keep them coming. :)ThmbUp

LJ-TJ

rude-a-bego

Check out the first two windows complete.

[smg id=5441]
I like the way they turned out.

FYI - there are two different rubber seals.  I've included a cut away so you can see the difference.

[smg id=5441]

Here are the part numbers right from the RV dealership for the large seal, handles and weep hole covers.  Note the changes:

1 - 024096-01-000  Seal - window channel - black 25' changes 024096-02-000 1.05 a ft
8 - 023713-01-000  Cover - weep hole - plastic - white changed  023713-02-000 0.36 each
4 - 023275-04-000  Latch - window - aluminum 9.30 each

rude-a-bego

justdon57

Can window screen frames be ordered through Winnebago?
you are replacing the interior seals of the windows? using Gorilla glue?
what are you using in between the window frame and the RV?
sorry for all the questions! I will be starting this same project on my 85 Minnie Winnie, the po used rtv to seal the windows shut!
thanks for the help!

rude-a-bego

Sorry it took so long to reply....

I am sure you can order frames from Winnebago but it will cost you. 
The middle pane of the large window and the fixed pane of the small window are glued to the aluminum frame from the factory.  What they use is beyond me.  I used gorilla glue.

Between the window frame and the RV, I will use butyl tape when I mount them in for good.  Right now I have them back in temporarily pending painting and some more inside work.

Drop me a line if you have any more questions; glad to help.

d21 special

I've got a '75 d21 that we just finished replacing the roof on and will be doing the same window project as you when time and money allow. Do you know the part number for the black felt and how much of it is needed?

rude-a-bego

I am pretty sure this is it..... 

002324-01-000 Channel, weatherstrip - glass run - 1/8" black.  I beleive I paid $1.50 a ft from the dealership.

I orderd 50 feet to do all the windows

d21 special

srosa707

Been a long time but I was hoping Rude-a-Bego could shed a little light on this topic.  We are having issues finding the right rubber and the cutaway photo from this project is missing.  I would really like to see how this rubber lines up in the window track.

Rickf1985

Last time he was active on here was January of last year according to his profile.