Mike and “The Beast” – 1974 Chieftain D28CL

Started by W0WOP, July 16, 2013, 09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W0WOP

First off, my name is Mike and I live in southern Minnesota.  I got into RVs not only because it has always been a dream of mine, but I also wanted to show my kids America in a way that most people don’t get a chance to.

Currently I’m an Engineering student with access to all kinds of toys.  Anything from CNC routers, Laser Cutters, CNC Mills, 3D printers ect…  So a lot of my projects will be designed on the computer first and then made by machine.

Some of my other hobbies include; Amateur Radio (username is my call sign), watching storms, tinkering/inventing new things, woodworking, fishing/hunting, cooking, ect… the list can go on…

“The Beast”

In June 2013 I purchased my first RV.  It’s a 1974 Winnebago Chieftain D28CL that my family decided to dub “The Beast” (an adaption of my daughter’s idea, The Monster Mobile).

We’ve been searching out 1970’s Winnies for the better part of a year and finally discovered the Beast about 200 miles from home in a small town in central Wisconsin. 

After packing up the family for the 4 hour road trip, we went to go look at her.  It was love at first sight.  The Beast was exactly what we’ve been looking for.  $1200, a night in a hotel, a premium AAA membership, and a second 8 hour trip with a kick a$$ tow truck driver and now the Beast is parked out front of our home.

The Good:

• ·         The price â€" $1200 was on the lower end of  the budget.
  • ·         It runs and drives.
  • ·         All of the original appliances are still there.
  • ·         The Onan 5000 watt generator works great.
  • ·         The AC works and turns the Beast into large fridge.
  • ·         New Tires
  • ·         40 Years worth of collected paperwork â€" manuals, receipts, maintenance, ect…
The Bad:

• ·         Leaky roof = water damage (mostly in the rear and around vents)
  • ·         Brakes need work (reason I towed it home)
  • ·         Fuel tanks need a good flushing.
  • ·         Fuel Economy â€" 6 to 8 mpg can be improved upon (diesel conversion?)
  • ·         Typical 40 year old RV issues â€" after 40 years of use, there are lots of broken, bent, and bumped up bits that can be fixed as things move along.
Well that’s the story so far. 

The future for the Beast is a bright one!  It holds a new roof, some interior modifications, a potential engine swap and conversion, and years of family enjoyment.

From here I’m a bit unsure how to format everything.  I think what I’ll do is find the proper forum to post about every “project” and then post a link to it here to attempt to keep everything together.  We’ll see what happens.

Thanks for having me, and although I’m new, reading through the forums has taught me TONS already.  I can only hope to share the wealth when it comes to my projects.

Mike

Stripe

Welcome to you and "THE BEAST!"

I love Minnesota, I used to live in Richfield years ago..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Mytdawg

serenitygirl64

Welcome to a whole new world... travelling the country side old school is the best experience for the kids.  Wish you folks the best in learning your RV and growing with it in knowledge and experience as you fix her up and the joys she can bring you and your family out on the road.  Look forward to future posts as your journey begins... Don't forget the before pictures.... Love pictures

DaveVA78Chieftain

A hardy welcome to our little place on the web - Dave
[move][/move]

Wantawinnie

moonlitcoyote

Oz

It's a good idea to post all your project topic links in this one as you go along.  However, do understand this "thread" will always slip down the boards due to the nature of the message board.  And, you can take advantage of a good feature I added here too...  you don't need to post all your projects on the different, related boards... if you're planning on giving us "this is how I'm doing it", instructional type of info (like your roof project so far) then they are perfect for the "Projects" board.  They will all be collected in one place and actually easier to find than mixed in all the other boards.

Also... once someone sees your posts... they can "bookmark" them!

:)   :)ThmbUp

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

walk in the park Mike D:oH! Hm?  i'm in eau Claire wi. 73 indian restoration, sending this from a campground as we speak, life is great in a classic WINNIEBAGO
THESE PEOPLE ARE GREAT HERE ,( REALLY)  TTYL,  btw  I'M THINKING A PLC  controlled bago , hi tech baby 

LJ-TJ

Well come aboard. Sounds like quite the adventure begining. I here Jessy Venturea made Minnesota the greatest State in the Union.

maxximuss

Welcome, look forward to your future updates and ventures.

Oz

Quote from: 007 on July 17, 2013, 01:44 AM
... btw  I'M THINKING A PLC  controlled bago , hi tech baby 

Pennsylvania Liquor Control? 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

W0WOP

Programmable logic control... Basically run by computers.  All depends on how much you want to put into it… you can design a app for your smart phone that tells you everything you need to know from afar. Water/sewage levels, temp control, even open and close your shades and unlock your doors… possibilities are limitless….

Quote from: 007 on July 17, 2013, 01:44 AM
I'M THINKING A PLC  controlled bago , hi tech baby 

I know a wee bit about "High Tech" just a weee bit  ;) if ya are a "hacker/modder/maker" look into Arduino and Raspberry Pi.  There is some amazing stuff going on there at the moment.  Easy to learn the code also.  This is a whole new subject... but right down my ally.

Mike

Stripe

OOH, A TECHIE!! 

This guys gonna be my new best friend.. :D
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

W0WOP

Oh ya I'm a big fan of high tech.  Something that I may be able to offer in the future,  (very close just need a few more parts to finish) 3d printing.  Do ya have a hard to find plastic part that needs replaced?  In the next month or so (depends on how much time, and weather mostly, I work on The Beast) I should have a 3d printer, maybe 2, that will have no problem making hard to find plastic parts.  Example: the "clip" that holds your sun visor in place.  Saw it mentioned in another post.

I'm also working on a few more fun gadgets to help prototype new concepts and ideas.

I also am a huge fan of the outdoors.  I'm the type of guy that can shut off his need for "high tech" and just enjoy the simple life.  It is actually welcomed from time to time.

Thanks all for the warm welcome!!!

Mike