New to site, and new to me 1981 Brave

Started by Sturedman, June 30, 2013, 09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sturedman

I am new to this forum, but thought I'd share something.  I just got a 1981 Brave 28'.  It is really clean and everything in it works well.  The generator was rebuilt by Cummins in 2010.  It's an Onan 4.0 Genset.  The guy I got it from, had all the propane system and 80 lb tank replaced, the generator re-manufactured, the water pump replaced and new tires in 2010.  He took it on the first camping trip and got about 60 miles, and a rod started knocking in the Chevy 454.  He had it towed to the campground, did the weekend  with his family, and had it towed home.  It has set in his garage while he was looking for a replacement engine.  He finally decided he didn't want it after pricing 454's.  I traded him a used Glock 21 that I had paid $400 for. 

I had it towed out to my property for a place to spend weekends while building on the property.  I may look for a 350 to put in it, since the 454 was an option for the rv.  It has no batteries, so I haven't even tried to start it, to see what the real problem with the motor is.  It also has no coach batteries in to start the generator.  I didn't care, because, plugged in, everything worked including the roof air.

I'm sure I will have a ton of questions, but most are probably already answered here.  Great site!  Thank you.

maxximuss

Froggy1936

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Sturedman

Thanks Froggy....but it will be a while before I am looking for one.  Gotta test this one first, and see what the problem really is  Hm?

Madathlon

If it is a bad connecting rod you can pulled the oil pan and check to see if the crank or connecting rod is damaged. A lot of the time a spun bearing can be swapped out for a new one, then clean the pan and put it all back together. far cheaper then replacing the engine and easier.

While you can replace the 454 with a 350, you lose a lot of torque unless you really build up the 350.

If I was to replace the 454 with a 350 I do a crank and rod swap and make myself a 383 stoker. Lots of torque and plenty of raw power.

Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Sturedman

I agree with you....I did notice that the Brave was sold with the 350 as standard engine.  The 454 was an upgrade option you could get.  Since it didn't throw a rod, I am thinking I can just do the bottom end with a crank kit.  I'd be surprised if it was a rod, the motor only has 54,000 miles on it, but who knows til I look at it, and listen to it  :)

Madathlon

What happens on engines that sit a lot is dry starting because all the oil has seeped out of the bearings.

a kit like this one http://syntheticoilguy.com/PreOiler.htm can pervent this issue, I been putting the AMK-02 system on boats for years and even put one on my old 73 Winni Brave.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

Sturedman

Finally got to spend the night at the property.  Boondocking it for a while lol

serenitygirl64

Welcome to a whole new world in RVing.  Your place looks very nice and I hope your expectations of Rvs are met and exceed what you hope for.  Happy Trails

Stripe

Looks Groovy, I am digging the old school tv antenna..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28