440-3 identification?

Started by rattlenbang, July 14, 2013, 01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rattlenbang

Does anyone have a definitive answer on how to identify a 440-3? I've read a few posts and none agreed with my block. Some say the id is down on the side by the oil pan - not on mine; that area is blank. Others say on a pad up front on top near the water pump; mine just says "17". There are large numbers cast on the block but they just identify 4006630 440-7 which I've read is the year it was cast. (77). The wrecker I got it from says it came out of a motorhome, but I want to be sure.

LJ-TJ

Hm? WOW! Now that's a good one. Never heard of a 7. Come on Dave can't wait to here the answer to this one. See yeah never know what your going to learn in a day.

DaveVA78Chieftain

To insure you are looking in the correct place, here is the information from my 77 440

Location of numbers (drivers side, front of block under AC bracket; I was sitting in passenger seat to take picture)

Numbers stamped on my 440 pad (not easy to see eveything in the cramped space)

Decoding information from Dodge MH Service manual

The "E" at the end of the first line means I have a cast crank.

The 4006630 440-7 number just signifies the block was built between 75-79 (most likely 77)
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=82242.0

Dave
[move][/move]

rattlenbang

But I notice there's no 440-3 actually shown. Does the T define it as a 440-3?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Yes the "T" will designate a truck version (440-3) however having a "T" is not a hard and fast rule (mine for example has a "E").  Far as I know, only the trucks used a cast crank

The easiest way to ID a 440-3 engine is the spark plugs. 
440-3 used 5/8" socket spark plug with a tapered seat (referred to as peanut plugs). 
440-1 used a 13/16" socket spark plug with a flat seat and gasket

440-3 head has extra water passages machined in which required the use of the smaller spark plugs.  440-3 also requires a different head gasket because of those water passages.

TJ is all to familure with this difference!  :)

Dave
[move][/move]