Generator Compartment Minor Modification.

Started by Stripe, July 12, 2013, 08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

So, the compartment for my generator is a bit cramped, and working on it, well, I don't need to tell you what it's like trying to do things in there..
To end that misery I decided to take a little initiative and redo how the lower frame on the compartment is attached to the RV.

Originally it was held in by pop rivets..

There is an L bracket behind here.

I drilled the rivets out.

I then drilled out all the rivets holding this panel in place. Makes me wonder if the rivets were original, oh well, out they came anyway.

After removing all the relevant rivets, I cut a little of the left side sheet metal (indicated by the red line) so I can pull the generator mounting plate straight out.

Tin snips, gotta love 'em..

After finishing up that part of it, I put everything back together again using sheet metal screws.

Including the L brackets.

Now, if I need to fix something on the generator all I need do is remove the panel screws, then the under plate bolts and Exhaust and pull out the generator mounting plate.

Thanks for reading.

Fredric

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

Nice job, and great idea!  Our Onan swings out from the bottom...a very stupid setup if you ask me...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Sweet, I just discovered the 'Insert Quote' feature!  So here goes, I gotta use it.... :D

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on July 13, 2013, 09:20 AM
Nice job, and great idea!  Our Onan swings out from the bottom...a very stupid setup if you ask me...lol!

Thanks, how do you mean it swings out from the bottom if I may ask. Got me curious..
Fredric,

intofire1

Stripe

My biggest worry was making sure I used a drill bit that would get the rivet out, but not make a hole too big for the screws..
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

I mean there is no sliding tray on ours at all.  Its attached to the metal plate on a hinge, so if you want to remove the genny from the compartment for service, you have to undo a couple of bolts on one side, put a jack under it, and it pivots downward.  Then you have to move it as an assembly on a rolling floor jack to the left and the whole thing drops out.  Very stupid setup.  All service has to be performed with the genny in place, unless you want to remove it altogether.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Yeesh, that has got to be a pain in the arse..
Fredric,

circleD

I just discovered this thread. I believe we have the same kind of motor home. Mine has the rivets in there also but I have an Onan and the plate is mounted to the body. Did you have to lengthen any wires or anything to pull it out? I'm going to do that this spring.

circleD

Coachmanm500 I did this project except I have to drill out 2 screws on each side because they were stripped out. When I get that done I'll snip the piece off and reassemble. I've aquired 2 heavy duty slide out rails that I'm going to install later so when I take the bottom piece off I can slide the gen set out without lifting it. Maybe even make the bottom piece hinge DOWN  :)clap. This is a great project you did so thank you.

Stripe

Cool Circled!  Let me know how it goes..  I am thrilled I inspired another member to do a project I did. 
BTW, Holiday Rambler owners are a groin' here...   :D   Mine is the shorter 28' model.  Perfect size for me n my dog..
Fredric,

Brave Frank

Gentlemen,

Please also add either a schlage lock to the door or take it a step further and make sure you have pics and serial #'s recorded for the make/model of the unit. I just had mine stolen. Just saying...

:'(
"DO or DO NOT.......There is no TRY"

circleD

Oh yes! I've seen on here how the gennies get stolen so when I make mine an easy access for me I'll but something special in there for thieves. I'll get my # for reports ( thanks for reminding me ) and put locks on instead of twist open. But the best part is that I'm going to put some thick cable on the back side and secure it to the gen set and then the frame. They'll have enough to just get it out then stop and fall out of their hands. If you can't stop them then mess with them  ;)

Stripe

Fredric,

circleD

Nah. Don't rethink it just redesign the way its used.  Hm?

Stripe

Fredric,

circleD

Here is my compartment modification following yours. I had to cut over a foot of aluminum off the right side and just left enough for the panel to fasten to on each side. I took out the old insulation. I have Dynamat to put in there and have painted the frame but don't know if I can get the sliding rails rigged up in time. The reason I cut so much off is that when I pulled out the genny, I had to trim below the support frame and there wasn't much left there so I took it all off. It'll still be a while before it's finished.

Stripe

AHHH!! SOMEONE GRABBED YOUR GENERATOR!!

Looking good CircleD!
Fredric,

circleD

Nope!! The genny is on my utility trailer. bundled up and on stand by until I get the compartment ready. I'll do a post on how I put it back in with pics later. But it started with your post  :)ThmbUp

Stripe

Fredric,

circleD

Ready for install. Will have a separate post soon.

Stripe

Fredric,