Will 413 exhaust manifold fit 440 block?

Started by rattlenbang, July 12, 2013, 12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rattlenbang

Looks like the 440 I'm getting, which came out of a motorhome, is missing an exhaust manifold. Will one from my 413 bolt up or do I have to start searching... :(

Stripe

As long as both are RV engines and close to the same year the 413 manifold should fit the 440, a lot can be switched between the two engines except the pistons of course..
Anyway, that is what I remember from the 80's when fixng my '66 Coronet 440..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

If I remember correctly, the 413 had the spark plugs above the manifold and the 440 has the spark plugs below the manifold.  The 413 header may not clear the 440 spark plugs.

As shown here  the bolt pattern may be different. (http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?_nkw=dodge+motorhome+exhaust+manifold&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_ipg=200&_sc=1&_sop=16&_vxp=mtr&_rdc=2)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/eBay-Motors-/6000/i.html?_ipg=200&_sc=1&_nkw=dodge+440+exhaust+manifold&_sop=16

Dave
[move][/move]

rattlenbang

Damn. Thought it was too easy.  D:oH! Finding one of those local is gonna be tough if not impossible.Still, I notice some of those listed claim it will fit a variety of engines including 413-440. Yet some show a different bolt pattern. Maybe the real difference is between the 413-440-3 and not the 440-1

ibdilbert01

"the 413 had the spark plugs above the manifold and the 440 has the spark plugs below the manifold."

I'm thinkng my 413 has the plugs below the manifold.

** Update **  (I was thinking wrong, again...   ;) )

By what I've been reading, the industrial 413s did have the plugs above the manifolds.   Heres a picture of mine. 

A 1965 Mac Truck with a 413...

And here is a picture of a 440 industrial engine.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Wantawinnie

It is as Dave posted. The heads are different between the Industrial 413 and 440. The manifolds are a different design.

If you had an car or early pickup based 413 then it may be a possibility. 

Oz

QuoteFrom: denison
Sent: 7/12/2003 12:09 PM

Usually the exhaust manifolds on the 413 came out below the spark plugs, and dumped to the center, straight down.  And the 413 exhaust manifolds were identical, there was no right or left version.   

The exhaust manifolds on the 440s were above the spark plugs, and I think there was a left one and a slightly different right one, but that part I am not sure about.

You can't interchange the exhaust manifolds from a 413 to a 440, because the ports are a differnt shape, and the mounted studs are in different places.   

My winny titled as a 1973 is on a chassis built in april of 72, and is a 413.  So there can be 1973 winnies early enough to have the 413, the later ones having the 440s...

...the exhaust manifolds shaped so as to be below the spark plugs on the 413, and shaped so as to be above it on the 440s.      denison

I believe the answer is pretty plain that you cannot swap the manifolds. 

So, the most sensible thing to do (IMHO) would be to look for 440 replacements... where to find them?... read the "sticky" topic.  It's the very first one on this board at this time.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

I say try anyway, it might work, I look at both engines and notice the biggest difference is how the manifold goes over or under the plugs.  What's to lose? A little time and elbow grease and the satisfaction of knowing for sure.  Looks to me the plug wires would just have to be run different.

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

If you look at the pictures above, everyone is missing the fact that the 413 manifold bolt holes are in different places than the 440.  440 are all in a straight line, 413 is staggard at each end.

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

I also didn't miss the bolt hole location difference.   That's why I not only quoted Dave D's post, I used bold on that info as well.  It's one of the things he showed me when our RVs were parked side-by-side at one of our jams, among other things. 

There's also the port shape difference. 

But, since you already have a set, you can look at the mounting holes or pull them and try them first and you can confirm, once and for all, that they won't work, as Dave Denison already, physically proved.  This will be invaluable as proof-positive for any and all who have the same question in the future.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca