Rig is too old to let in campgrounds?

Started by 77Chieftain, November 07, 2008, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryk2u

Sent: 12/6/2007 2:08 PM

Let me see if I can help clarify this issue.  I actually worked as the office manager in a 55+ RV Resort in AZ this year.  Most RV resorts have a rule that restricts the long term, seasonal or permanent placement of units over a certain age.  The majority of them will allow older RVs providing they are well kept.  This is to insure that the resort remains a desirable place to stay.  Most folks who maintain their rigs are willing to keep the trash picked up from their sites, pick up after their animals, etc....
There is still the occasional resort that would cut off their nose to spite their face by not allowing any older units. It sure does not make good business sense to me.

intofire1

Sent: 12/23/2007 9:24 PM

Here in the Los Angeles area the storage yard asked me for two months rent in advance for my 1973 Brave. My MH is in better shape than most the the rigs I park next to. Mainly because the this group it's in the best shape.
Gil in LA

WOHverspig

Sent: 12/24/2007 8:47 AM

I have not had a problem in any of the state parks we visited last summer with our 73 Winnie. In fact, we spent two great weeks with our friends the Diels and the family skunks with little or nothing said.

melyash

Sent: 12/30/2007 9:46 AM

I had the experience once, but it turned positive, and it was only for a couple nights so a long term stay is probably what they are worried about. I made a reservation at a place that did not ask but when I pulled up they baulked... I asked them to look at my rig first, and after a quick look they figured out the rig was clean, well preserved/restored, was not leaking anything, and they let me stay a few nights.

Funny thing was, people from 300K diesel pushers kept coming by, and it usually went something like "wow, my parents had one of these... or my neighbor had one and I always thought they were cool, or ....well you get the picture.  I made sure that the rig was presentable all the time, cause I always gave them a tour, just like a proud papa. and that was not false pride, I felt that I represented something, and was keeper of an icon of this lifestyle.

When I left, the park said that they were very glad to have me, and that a couple people had commented on my rig, and had said it was great seeing it, cause it took them back a bit. The owners of the park told me that I was welcome any time, for as long as I liked, and although I have not taken them up on it, I know they meant it.

As for the parks that exclude over 15 year old rigs, In the long run, I believe they are doing a dis-service to themselves and their clients since they are mostly baseing thier selection policy on income level (cost of the rig). I have met some "very well to" do A___holes, in my time, ones who were rude, inconsiderate, and otherwise not worth not worth hanging around, and I have found some truly quality people in the economic strata most would consider poverty. I would not trade meeting those people for anything.

As a side note, my other RV is a 2005 Fifth Wheel trailer and the place I store it at has a "not more than 10-15 year old" policy but they also have another yard close by that allows older rigs.

As much as we all bristle at the notion, the old winne (or other old motorhome) is generally associated with a "one step above homeless camp" clientele, sorry but it appears it is a generally held belief, and "asking to stay several months" is something that might send up a red flag to them. The central coast of CA does have a fair share of the "less than fortunate crowd" and the park owners are just trying to keep their park at a certain level of as they would see it "respectability".  No different than Beverly Hills having building and zoning codes that severley limit the neighborhood, but we have all seen that limiting it by income does not keep the place rif-raf free. It just brings a richer version of Rif Raf to the hood.

A possible answer:
You might try sending a few pictures of the rig, showing it is in great shape, and the interior is not full of shopping carts and tarps, and you might be surprised at the response. You don't have to "put on airs" but being a great neighbor goes a long ways to getting invited back to any place you go.  I had a friend who rigged up a wi-fi repeater on his rig, and was able to help people in the far reaches of a camp get wi-fi while he was there. He was there a week and the managers told him he could stay another week for free if he kept his hot spot open!  In the end, it is not what you look like (within reason) but instead what you bring to the table. Be that memories of trips long ago, or 21's century technology, if you are viewed as a positive they are more than happy to see you there, and sad to see you leave.

Happy Trails!

toddabney

Sent: 1/1/2008 1:16 AM

hi gang,I have heard about "age discrimination" with older motorhomes. My plan is to call ahead and if asked the age of our motorhome I would answer "I have a 2005 Wizbang Delux, please don't tell me you discriminate by age. If they answer yes ,tell them you would never give business to someone that discriminates. Oh by the way, I am scouting out the area for accommodations for our club. Sorry we won't be sending any business/money your way." That might hurt....   so with that,  I hope my plan will save face for any one that is black balled down the road. Take care, todd

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 1/1/2008 9:23 AM

I can fully understand if a campground/RV park doesn't want Cousin Eddy's leaking Barth (from Christmas Vacation) spilling fluids and being an eyesore at their campground, but that said, I still won't support any campground or RV park that won't at least take a look at your rig before deciding to exclude you from their park.

Excalibur is in better shape than a lot of 2000 models, and there are currently no leaks or even rust on the frame of our home...if a campground doesn't want to let us in without at least taking a look at and under the rig, then I'll take my business elsewhere.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DonD

There are campgrounds and then there are RV Parks..Different animals, different rules. I have never stayed in an RV park, many campgrounds though.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Oz

You do have a point there, Don.  Here in Florida, there are many of both.  The RV "parks" are geared for more permanent residence.  Riding down the highway, I get a good look at a very large one from above.  Mostly, they have the "park models" (mini-mobile homes) and 5th wheels.  I can't say if they have age rules but, I can say I didn't see anything which looked more than 10 years old.

On the other hand, I have seen Mobile Home parks with permanently set-up, older (1980s) RVs in them and, many of the mobile homes there go back into the 1950s & 60s.  One observation.... these are not places most people would choose to live unless it's the only financial option they can afford.

But, I digress...  I think we were focusing on "campgrounds" mostly, but it's also obvious that full time RV living in permanent "RV parks" is an ever increasing option so, this subject becomes very important there as well.

Thanks for making the observation!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

dezertgurl

Quote from: melyash on July 16, 2012, 01:13 PM
. . .As for the parks that exclude over 15 year old rigs, In the long run, I believe they are doing a dis-service to themselves and their clients since they are mostly baseing thier selection policy on income level (cost of the rig). . . .

That's been my experience, in the few places where I met up with age restrictions. Different managers, different outlooks. Some have had bad experiences with folks in older rigs who didn't pay, were loud and rowdy or otherwise undesirable so they pass that on by making rules. Wouldn't it work better just to put up one of those signs you used to see in cafes "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"??
Just sold 1973 Winnie D20 Brave

Alaskan Itasca

I don't think we will have that problem up here. I think the number of 80s and earlier rvs outnumber the new ones.

i went to the state fair last weekend with the Itasca since it makes a great base camp for small kids, and we can leave in the morning rather than fighting the evening traffic out. anyway right behind us in line was a 60s Winnie Indian. I wanted to walk the the rows and take pictures to post here of all the 70s rigs but my wife thought I was crazy....

I think rigs that get thrown away down there get shipped up here and used for another 20 years....
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP
1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 30E

OldEdBrady

The Alfabgo is a '76.  When we traveled with it BEFORE I painted the outside, we got some funny looks, but no real refusals.  However, AFTER I'd painted the outside, we got some great remarks.  After all, a trailer is a trailer. And what it looks like outside seems to be more important than the age.

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

I haven't had any problems with state and federal parks, nor the one (and probably LAST) I went to a KOA...
My dad did tell me once about private run RV parks that are discriminatory towards older rigs though.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

maxximuss

The ones who are being discriminatory probably sit in front of the tube at night watching Breaking Bad or something, and getting the wrong ideas. Anyone who has one of these older rigs obviously maintain and take care of them. Especially if they are traveling long distances. I don't think age of a rig is what needs to be factored in, its the condition of it. If I ever run into that situation I'll be sure to let others have a heads up.

serenitygirl64

my experience in California and Texas is that there are RV parks that have requirements on RVs to rent in their parks.  However, this is mostly because the older units aren't as new looking on the outside.  For these KINDS of parks it is all about appearances and some will overlook the age when the RV is in good well cared for condition.

pvoth1111

We are getting ready to go down to the west palm beach area.....I had to send the RV resort a pic of my coach and they asked about the toad......they said all was good...I have had several "parks" quiz me about the Motor Home....I do believe there is some discrimination in the "better" RV resorts....I have also been "placed" away from the high end buses.....hey we all dump our crap the same way.

That being said there are some really poorly cared for rigs that I wouldn't enjoy sitting next to me for long periods....
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Stripe

Quote from: pvoth on August 09, 2013, 10:02 AM
That being said there are some really poorly cared for rigs that I wouldn't enjoy sitting next to me for long periods....

Those are the ones I like to sit and chat with their owners and just throw ideas back and forth about how to do this or that with our respective RVs...
Fredric,

Stripe

It would be interesting, to be sure.. :)
Fredric,

Stripe

Fredric,

ibdilbert01

The previous owner of my rig died and left it behind.  Now that I own it, I consider it to be born again.  If anyone asks, its not even a year old....     :P
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!