Need 1983 p30 brake parts

Started by Schwarzkopf9, August 02, 2014, 10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schwarzkopf9

Hey guys, I need some brake parts like calipers and wheel cylinders. The guy at the parts store says there are three different styles of parts and I'll  need some kind of parts code to identify which ones I need. Anyone know this info off hand or know where I can find it? 1983 Winnebago brave 28 foot 454 Chevy driveline.

cncsparky

You need the brake option code off an option sticker usually posted in gloveboxes, firewall, under dash etc.  There will be lots of 3 digit codes for different options installed on your vehicle.  You will be looking for something like JD7, JB7, JB8, JD8 etc. 
-Tom

Schwarzkopf9

Thanks Tom! I'll check that out ASAP, can't get out there till Monday but at least I know what to look for.

Rickf1985

If you cannot find the codes I would suggest taking a caliper and pad set in with you and measure the rear brake shoes, if it has drum brakes. Measure the width of the shoes and the inner diameter of the drum. If it has rear disc then the same as the front applies. A trick I have used to keep from loosing all of your fluid while the line is open when you are running for parts, Get a piece of wood or something that you can prop against the brake pedal inside to hold just a little pressure on it. All you have to do is push it down about an 1/8 of the way and it will block the port in the master cylinder and the fluid will not run out. This way you do not drain the entire system and have the hassle of bleeding the whole system out. You might want to disconnect the battery because the brake lights will be on.

cncsparky

Here is a pic I found of an GM option tag.

-Tom

DaveVA78Chieftain

GM Brake Codes
JB7 (Vacuum booster) - Front Disk, Rear Drum
JB8 (Hydroboost) -  Front Disk, Rear Drum
JB9 (Hydroboost) -  Front Disk, Rear Disk

Dave
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

That pretty much narrows it down. Call the parts guy and ask what the options are as far as codes and then tell him the code that matches what dave just gave you. That is assuming you do not find the code label on your vehicle.

Schwarzkopf9

Okay, got the parts! Now to Jack it up and throw them in. Any pointers for hydroboost brakes i.e. bleeding? Thanks guys! Front disk and rear drums. Also the brake light was on which I'm assuming was low fluid because I filled it up with a pint(pretty low I know!) and the light went out.

Oz

Bleeding brakes is a different topic.  Please use the message search.  There's a lot of good pointers on bleeding the system.  If you have additional questions, just ask them on the most relevant topic you find, or if they're not what you're looking for, just post a new topic.

Please read the message posting rules.  They're only a few & just common sense, but they help you and everyone else benefit the most from what you have to share and all the great info we have here!

:)   :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca