Air lift in addition to rear spring/airbags?

Started by treeman, June 06, 2014, 10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeman

can anyone tell me if I can use  an airlift kit with air bags on the rear of my 89 chieftan in place of the leveling bags goes inside the coil springs. any info would be greatly appreciated and helpful

Thanks

DaveVA78Chieftain

Little confused here.  Both 88 and 89Service manual indicate you have rear leaf springs not rear coil springs.  These 2 rear kits are designed for a rear leaf spring setup: http://www.truckspring.com/Search.aspx?p=-air-lift%2fAir-Springs-Kits%2fMake%3aChevrolet%2fYear%3a1988&a=Model%3aP30-Motorhome

Dave
[move][/move]

treeman

Dave,

I have both leaf and coil on the rear, and my guess is that the coil units are only for leveling and I think it would be much easier and better to use the bags

DaveVA78Chieftain

If the rear coils do not already have bags, then I suspect a PO added them.  They have sold helper springs like that at auto supply houses for years.

Dave
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

Mine has what is called Jet ride air bags but there are no coils. I have leaves that are cut off at the axle which really looks dicey but it has held up for this long and also on others. At that point it changes to an inverted bellows air bag the same as a big rig truck. The leaves are only there to locate the axle and it does require a track rod. I agree with Dave that someone has added the coils on top of the leaves. If you need even more I think what you need to do is get it weighed with a full load of gas, water, propane and camping gear and then take it to a spring shop and have a new set of springs made. You will be money ahead doing it that way as opposed to rigging it constantly. Just be sure not to overload the axle weight rating.

Rick

treeman

It has bags in the coils. I will do some more checking and let you what I find

DaveVA78Chieftain

Then you may already have an air bag system.
[move][/move]

treeman

Dave, 

yes, it is coils with bags inside them and leaf springs.  my question is, can I forget the bags in the coils and add a bag only system such as air lift 88203.

Thanks

legomybago

I would remove the coils, and replace with an air bag only kit. and you'd be done with it. The air bags will last many years...
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

Quoteyes, it is coils with bags inside them and leaf springs.  my question is, can I forget the bags in the coils and add a bag only system such as air lift 88203.

To the best of my knowledge the answer is yes.

Dave
[move][/move]

pvoth1111

I have bags.....and hydraulics.....the later are used for leveling....the bags for just driving down the road......I let all the air out when parked...do the bags really help for leveling....they don't seem to have that much articulation as to affect leveling....
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Rickf1985

I do not have hydraulics and my bags are used for leveling.

treeman

Rickf1985

No, They are reversible sleeve air springs. Same as on busses and tractor trailers.

Look up Jetco air ride with optional park and level

treeman

I have removed the coil and bag mess that was under there and added new airbags and shocks. WOW !!! what a difference in handling and ride.

M & J

M & J

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy