Norcold Freezer Works Refrigerator Does'nt

Started by MikeMahoney, June 14, 2013, 08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeMahoney

This is my first post. Many thanks to all for this great forum! I have recently purchased a 1986 Elandan with a Norcold refigerator. The freezer seems to be working great but the refrigerator section doesn't cool at all. Any ideas/help is appreciated.

Mike

ClydesdaleKevin

How long have you had it running, and what is the freezer temperature?  The same cooling coil cools the freezer and the fridge.  You won't see any fins in most freezers, but there should be fins in the upper back part of the fridge, and they should be getting cold.  If the freezer is getting cold, below freezing that is, then the fridge should also be getting cold.  But its not like a household fridge where it will get cold in an hour or two.  It can take up to 24 hours, with the door shut, to reach the proper temp.  Freezer should be well below 32 degrees F, and the fridge should be around 42 degrees. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Take a look in the Member area, manuals & diagrams, refrigerators, Norcold.  Check your model number.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

MikeMahoney

The freezer is down around 10*F. The main fridge is at about 75*. It's been running a couple of days now. The outside air temp is about 110* inside the coach its about 80*. The plates on the back wall now are feeling cool. They weren't when I posted this morning. Any idea where the model # is located? I can't seem to find it.

Mike

joanfenn

Is this one of those times when you would take out the fridge and leave it upside down for a day or two then reinstall?  Wouldn't that get the juices flowing in the fridge?

DaveVA78Chieftain

An RV fridge has to be level (front to back, side to side) or you can kill them.  Means the rig has be level.   Is your rig level?

There will either be an ID plate on the rear or on the bottom front

Dave
[move][/move]

MikeMahoney

I have one of those bullseye levels in the freezer. The bubble is 2/3 in the circle. I was under the impression that this was close enough. Is it not? Model #8310 EG3  Right now the freezer is <10* fridge is 72* and ambient air temp is 98*. The plates in the back of the fridge are cool to the touch but not real cold. The temp is taken one shelf below the cooling plates/fins. Thanks.

Mike

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sounds like you have blockage in the secondary evaporator as described in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUNmDQu_fvY

Vibration (driving) or "burping" the fridge (http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,2004.0.html) may dislodge the blockage.  If that fails, then only solution is to replace the cooling coils or replace the fridge.

Dave
[move][/move]

MikeMahoney

Just an update: Last Sunday I drove the RV about 75 miles to a remote site. No change. I installed a 4" fan on the inside of the vent blowing slightly upwards. Still no change. The unit has been running all week, freezer working great and making ice cubes in no time at all. Today (Friday) mid day with ambient temp around 95* I noticed that the fridge felt cool. Temp inside was 58*.  I have no idea why, but at this point I hope it keeps dropping another 10*.  Our humidity is currently (and usually) around 15%. Its supposed to get down to 66* here tonight so I'll see what it is in the morning.

Mike

ClydesdaleKevin

The blockage, usually an air bubble, may have dislodged.  Lets hope it cools down for you now!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

let's hope what Kev said is what happened.  Sure beats having to remove the fridge and doing the "burping" thing.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca