Summer Vacation, 2013

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, June 10, 2013, 06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Vacation has officially begun!!!

After leaving the campsite in Oklahoma, we drove all the way to Joplin, MO and to the Flying J, where we gassed up and filled the propane tank.  It was WAY hot, so we decided to press on to the nearest campground for the night, so we could hook up to power and run the AC and not have to run the genny.

Not far away, at exit 29, we found a delightful little RV park called Beagle Bay RV Haven, in Sarcoxie, MO.  Full hookups, extensive and beautiful nature trails in a part of the Ozarks, a swimming pool, decent TV reception, shaded level sites under pretty tall trees, friendly staff, free high speed wifi, a well equiped general store, and very inexpensive weekly rates.

We pulled in and immediately decided to stay for a whole week.

Air conditioner is on and the rig is cool again, Barnabas explored the nature trails and gave his approval, and vacation has officially begun.

Time for some relaxation and some little projects while we are here.

Also gotta figure out what the smell is coming from the engine compartment.  Smells like old gas, or very hot gas.  Might have a leak at the carburetor.  I'll make sure I troubleshoot it and fix it before we leave.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

HandyDan

If you are at Sarcoxie, then you passed Colaws RV Salvage a couple of miles back.  It would be worth your time to go visit.  They will let you drive your jeep back among the wrecks.  You just might find something you can't live without.  They have lots of new parts but tons of used stuff. 
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

We were thinking about it Dan.  Its not that far away. 

Spent last night relaxing, and they had live music in the rec hall here at the RV park, and dogs were welcome.  So we brought Barnabas, and he had a great time getting petted, and was even nice to the little dogs.

Then back to the RV for some steaks on the grill and a night of watching some more episodes of Falling Skies...decent series.

Today?  Supposed to be hotter than heck again, so we'll probably relax in the AC, maybe soak in the pool.  Not too inclined to go on any outdoor adventures in today's predicted heat!

Its going to be nice getting back to the mountains in the northeast, where a 90 degree day is very unusual, and the low 80s is considered very hot...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Very pretty here...a bit of road noise from the highway, but pretty...and LOTS of ticks.  Deet is definitely our friend here.

Going to settle in and do nothing for a couple of days, then look into the caverns and maybe Colaw's. 

Also need to troubleshoot that smell coming from my engine compartment.  It coincided with the idle dropping and the engine wanting to stall, so I'm guessing its either a fuel leak, or else the 95+ degree temperatures are causing the fuel to perculate in the carburetor, even though my water temps aren't exceeding 210...averaging around 200...and my trans temp is running right around 150. 

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Nice relaxing day yesterday with the wifey and pup.  Patti asked me what we could possibly need at Colaw's to make it worth the trip...why, a "new" stainless hubcap for the driver's side tag axle, of course!  That's the one that got mangled on the way out of Kentucky last year when the tire blew.  And we could always look for new dinette cushions, etc.  So yep, sometime in the next couple of days we'll make the trip.

Today?  Not going to do much.  Might troubleshoot the gas smell in the doghouse though.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Okay then!  Today was a very interesting day indeed!

We were having our coffee and just for fun Patti and I searched the internet for local German Shepherd puppies in Missouri, and we both found an add for a small family breeder in a town about 30 miles away.  Turns out they had one puppy left, and she was a female, and very affordable.  8 weeks old.  Her mother's name is Sheba.  We looked at the pictures and oohed and ahhhed...and a butterfly landed on the inside of our RV window near my desk.  The same type of butterfly that was flying around us in Oklahoma.  I opened the window and it flew out and away, after landing on my finger first and flapping its wings a few times.

Oh what the heck.  We took the drive.

This is our new baby:

She's sleeping off the excitement of meeting her new big brother Barnabas and the silly cat.

Barnabas loves her!  The cat?  Not so much...lmfao!!!

She's AKC registered, all German bloodlines, and a sweet little thing.  It was her first car ride and she wasn't afraid at all, just curious and cuddly and wanted to look out the windows. 

So yep, we have a new baby.  We haven't named her yet...we want to see her personality once she settles in for a day or two.

Her mother and father and grandmother were at the breeder's house, and they are lovely and pretty dogs.  House dogs, not a kennel.  This little puppy is already well socialized and 90% housebroken...she goes to the door when she wants to go out.  At 8 weeks old.  Yep, ya gotta love German Shepherds!  Current on all her shots, so we'll bring her to a vet at 12 weeks for her first well visit and next set of shots.

Barnabas is watching over her, a great big smile on his face.  Sampson is also watching over her, but I'm sure his intentions aren't nearly as noble...lmao!!!

So she'll have a week getting used to living in the RV...and then she'll learn that her new house moves.  For now, she's sleeping like an angel.

I was able to take this one picture before my camera batteries died.  I'll be getting more batteries tomorrow and posting a lot of pictures to Photobucket, that's for sure!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Labbie...with the new puppy, we won't being going to the junkyard until the end of the week, possibly Monday...extend our stay a few days.  I have an unopened container of Sevin, but we'll save that for our camp in NY.

Kev

joanfenn

Congratulations on the new addition.  Every time I see a butterfly up here I think of your Sheba.  It was all meant to happen.  Give her a big scratch for me.  Joan

DaveVA78Chieftain

Georgia said just listen real close and she will tell you her name :)
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Dave and Joan.  She hasn't told us her name yet, but boy does she have one heck of an appetite!

She woke me up at 4am to go potty...just climbed up on me and started whimpering.  Took her out, and she did her business outside.  Not one accident in the house yet, and she's only 8 weeks old! 

She's napping on the bed with Patti right now, under the covers since we have the AC blasting.  Almost time to feed Barnabas and the little angel their breakfast!

Then we'll spend the day with both doggies, probably outside on the porch.

Kev

HandyDan

I'm so happy for you both.  Now you will always have a little bit of Missouri with you.  I am a strong believer in fate, and some things are just meant to be. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Froggy1936

Congratulations and best wishes on your and the new pups adventure !! Good Luck !! Frank :)ThmbUp
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

And she has named herself.  While we were speaking out loud a list of tradition German girl names, she perked up at Karli.

It means Tiny and Feminine.  Yep!  She likes it!  And it suits her.

So Karli Louise Smith it is.  Louise after a very dear friend of Patti's that passed away years ago, who was from Germany.  Smith because she's family of course!

Welcome to the family, Karli Louise Smith!

Kev

chicknnhead

i'm 3 blocks 70 in O'Fallon MO exit 217, plenty of room for an RV if you feel like stopping by. I live 2 houses from the city park and pool...lots of rooms for the animals to run off some energy..lol

Stripe

I'm smoking a cigar in celebration of your new addition to your family..  She is indeed very pretty...

:)

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks for the offer Chicknnhead!  If we pass that way on the way to Elkhart, IA, I'll let you know!

Thanks Fredric!  She's a sweet little pretty thing.  I'll be taking a bunch of pictures of her and Barnabas together tomorrow.  He adores her!  They are laying on the bed together with Patti right now, sound asleep.

Kev

Wantawinnie

Congratulations on the new family member, she sounds like a wonderful little pup. :)ThmbUp

HandyDan

Isn't that Elkhart, IN not IA?  There isn't much in Elkhart, IA. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

chicknnhead

no problem that goes for anyone on here, 45 min out side of stl, stop off and fill the water tanks and take a breather, Orielly Auto parts 2 blocks from the house!

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Dan!  Yep...Indiana is what I meant.  Mor-Ryde is going to adjust the rear tag axle for me to the highest setting, maybe replace a rubber bushing or two if needed.  We have an appointment for July 1st.

Got batteries for the camera, so today will be a lot of picture taking and uploading.  Also going to troubleshoot the generator today, see if I can get the voltage to stay less than 137 volts (max voltage according to the manual) so we can use the rooftop air while driving.  And I'm going to thoroughly inspect the carburetor and connections for fuel leaks under the doghouse. 

Also might put a couple of blocks under the front wheels to angle us back a bit...the way we are sitting, water is dripping buckets through the AC in the humidity.  We were angled slightly back in Oklahoma, and had no water dripping problem with the same outside temps and humidity.  Water was dripping off the back of the roof instead. 

Karli woke me up again around 4am, and did her business outside...WOW!!!  She is only 8 weeks old and housebroken!  Gotta love GSDs!  She is getting more and more playful, and pounced on Barnabas this morning, barking at him.  Mr. Boo is definitely perking up!  He gave her one of his balls, and let her play with his stuffed turtle.  They both had breakfast...MAN does Karli have one heck of an appetite!  Have to get pictures of her today so you can see her floppy ears.  Yesterday they were both floppy...today they are trying to stand up already.  Must be the good and plentiful food!

The cat is STILL not happy... :)rotflmao

Now she's taking a nap again on the bed with Patti.  What an awesome puppy!

Kev

intofire1

Sometimes you get that perfect camping site. Memorial day weekend.
Gil in LA CA

ClydesdaleKevin

OMG Barnabas is so happy!!!

This is the first smile he's had since Sheba went to the Rainbow Bridge:

And look how tiny Karli is compared to Barnabas!

Seriously...she's TINY compared to him...

Isn't she precious?  Our new baby girl!

Cute as hell, and silly as the day is long!

She LOVES biting and tugging on my beard!

Look at Barnabas sleeping with her...he put his paw on her...

Isn't she the cutest thing?

Kev

joanfenn

She is beautiful, and she looks like she will be a little hell raiser.  Will keep you all young.  Enjoy her now because they grow so darn fast. :)clap :)ThmbUp

Stripe

Hehe, 
Kevin, Karlis' ears are the cutest!   She's a great, one of a kind, find!

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks guys!  Yep, she is a little hellion.  She's adapting quickly and is now acting more like a puppy...lol!

Put the front of the RV on Lynx blocks yesterday and the AC drip slowed down...going to raise it one block higher today and see if that takes care of it.

Also troubleshot the genny...guess I already fixed it, which is what Patti told me...runs smooth with a steady 124 volts.

And checked the carburetor for leaks...not a drop anywhere, and no gas smell.  I'm wondering if its just perculating gas when the temps are super hot outside.  I'll check it again at our first/next gas stop once I run it up to temperature in the heat.

Weather depending, we'll be rolling out of here tomorrow, on our way towards Elkhart, Indiana.  We'll probably only drive around 300 miles and pull into an RV park.  We'll see!

Kev