Quick release latches replaced

Started by Stripe, June 11, 2013, 04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

Got my new replacement QR Latches yesterday afternoon and immediately got to installing them. :)

Before,

Taking the old ones off was only a small challenge.  They used phillips screws to hold them in with a small u shaped piece of metal similar to the ones in the next pic.

New backing clamps,

After,

Still need to clean it up a bit, but I just had to put 'em on.. I like that they use 10mm bolts instead of phillips screws. Easier to reinstall..

Before,

Bugger, I thought I had a better before shot.  Anyway.......

After,

I likey..

The whole replacement work took about 20 minutes total and that included adjusting the catch bolts so that they weren't so tight.  This way I figured it would reduce the chance of the latch opening too fast and breaking the handle.

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

Nice job!  Let me know where you got those latches.  I'd love to be able to lock my genny/battery compartment (one big compartment) and Southco doesn't have the keys for mine anymore (and they are missing).  Their latches cost a fortune, and it looks like the ones you bought would work perfectly.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Well, I'll tell ya, they weren't cheap for me either ($24? I think) plus I paid shipping..

I will give you their contact and I know they would ship as well..
I will also have to see if I can find the part number again for you as well.

http://www.pnta.com/contact-us/

They are a Theatre and Stage store here in Seattle.  Good kids there, more than willing to help out over the phone as well...

Fredric
BTW, Do you have the same Genny door setup with the thumb turns?
Today I am going to see if the old latch lock tumblers will fit. I am 99.987876554% (rough estimate) sure they will fit..
Fredric,

Stripe

Nearly forgot, today I am also going to run a bead of black silicone adhesive around the edges to make sure there are no holes that may be showing and to get rid of the greyish oxidation..

Fredric
Fredric,

Stripe

Grr, rough estimate was way off.. :(
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

Nope.  The latches on our genny door are just like the latches on the rest of your compartments, like the ones you just replaced in the pictures.  Only the water/power compartment and the propane door have simple thumb twist latches with no locks.  The rest are worn out round fridge key type locks.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.