External Storage latches

Started by Stripe, May 30, 2013, 11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

Anyone ever seen latches like these? And maybe have a source to get two more?
Not a single one on ANY of the rv's at my favorite picking spot.

Any and ALL help is always appreciated..

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

M & J

Does it have to be locking? I found these on Amazon.com:

Amico Electricity Cabinet Chrome Plated Adjustable Panel Lock MS708

M & J

Oz

It's a cabinet latch, alright.  And they are available with locks.  I'm looking at one right now (with a lock), just like the ones you're looking for.  They're typically installed in office cabinets.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Sweet, good find, wonder why I couldn't find that when I googled it??? ???   And no it doesn't have to have the lock as I can take the tumblers from the busted latches and put them in the good ones.

Mark, you have a cabinet with the same latches that latches?? Or were you just at a store?

Thanks guys.. :)

Fredric

PS Just for giggles, I think I am going to design a powered drawer opener for these, just to see if I can, using a 12v motor with a worm gear on it to do the job.. 
Fredric,

M & J

Those latches I found didnt have the provision for a lock.
M & J

Stripe

I'll source the latches locally, now that I know their broader range of application.

Fredric,

Oz

QuotePS Just for giggles, I think I am going to design a powered drawer opener for these

New topic - and would be a good project as it could be used and modified for other things - like making your own, powered battery and generator tray?  - oooooh, may be on to something there.

Froggy1936

Younz guys  Those are toys for the rich people !!! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Oz

@ Frank - the best thing is when you can do what the rich do and NOT be rich.  Oh they so hate when we do that...

Oz

Sorry, Fredric... the locking latches are installed in commercial, metal cabinets at my work. I'll see if I can get any information on the manufacturer tomorrow.

Stripe

Hey Mark, that would be fantastic, Thanks!

Fredric,

Oz

The manufacturer is DaLite/Advance.

The lock/latch is used on a rolling laptop cart.

Here is the link to the diagram/parts list which shows the unit.  The latch is shown in the middle area.

http://www.da-lite.com/products/parts_pdfs/356.pdf

Here is the main website link, they have a live chat so, you may well be able to get the latch/lock.  I don't have a camera here to show a photo of it but, it looks exactly like the ones shown above and in your own application - with a lock in the smaller, latch retainer instead of separate from it...  Lever Latch #5696

http://www.da-lite.com/products/product.php?cID=69&pID=356

Stripe

Thanks, Mark, I wll be contacting the nearest dealer as Da-Lite support said I can order the part through a dealer..

Fredric
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

Holiday Rambler in the mid to late eighties used Southco exclusively...might have had a different name then, but the compartment keys and latches are Southco, and these latches you took pictures of are just like mine on my genny/battery compartment.  And just a side note, those stupid round refridgerator type key latches on our HR compartments have a totally different bore diameter than standard key latches, so you'll either have to use spacer washers if you ever want to replace them, or buy new ones from Southco.  You can Google Southco and see all the latch/lock combinations...and yep, yours are on there.  If you try to purchase, you'll be redirected to Uglyfish.com.  They are based in Bunnell, Florida...coincidently, right next door to Thunder Gulch Campground where we used to stay the winters when we did the Florida shows.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Sweet!  Thanks for the info, I'll post shots of what my compartments look like so we can compare notes..

Fredric
Fredric,

Stripe

Kevin, as promised, all the doors and latches on my Imperial 28

Genny Hatch (with refurbed thumb latches)

A little wire brushing, wd-40 cleaning and white lithium grease and your there.
As you can see the lamination came completely off (was like this when I got it).  The PO was using duct tape and a wire to keep it closed.  All I had to do after refurbing the thumb turn latches (which I did with all the thumb latches on this RV) I just tightened the retainer nuts and the door was good to go. Next task on this will be to clean the tape goo off and brillo pad the aluminum frame.
Also, I may be able to recycle the lock tumblers from the old quick release latches and replace the thumb turns with them so I can lock the Genny door.

The Starboard aft storage drawer.

This photo is before I replaced the latches.

Access door for the Propane tank.

Thumb latches are on this one.

Front grille (quick release) and Small access doors(thumb turn)

I modified the metal bar to hold the doors open a little higher.

My Battery Compartment door.

This has locks, but the genny door didn't??

Last but not least the Port side storage drawer.

Again, pre latch replacement.

Fredric

Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

Since mine has pass-through basement storage, the only compartment we have that has the flip latches like yours is the genny compartment, and the only compartments that has thumb turn latches with no lock is the sewer/power compartment and the propane door.  Every other compartment has those stupid round refrigerator key type locks with the larger than normal bore diameter, necessitating that we purchase the new locks from Southco/Uglyfish.  I've tried new keys from Uglyfish, since the only key I had was pretty worn down across the lands, but the lock cylinders themselves are getting worn out, and I now have to hold the key in a pair of vice grips to get enough force, pushing inward, to turn the locks to open and close compartments.  And its only getting worse.  Its on my list of things to replace when we get to New York.  I might go with one thumb latch and one key latch per compartment, since the thumb latches are only around 10 bucks a piece, and the key latches are 40 bucks each...ouch!!!  5 locking compartments times 50 bucks...oi vey!  Could be worse if it was 5 times 80 bucks!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Kevin, I was having sticking problems with my locks and thumb turn latches, I.E. Hard to turn, sticking, etc.. 
What I did was take them apart, wire brush them clean(use brass brush BTW) with a little wd-40 to help then wipe them off apply white lithium grease to the barrels and the inside of the latch as well.. Then while putting the barrel (locking or otherwise) back into the latch cylinder housing, rotate it to spread the grease around evenly.  After that just play around with it a bit..
Oh, also, my Uncle Donald owns one of the biggest locksmith shops in CNY, Fradon Lock Co. (Stands for Fra nk and Don) http://www.fradonlock.com/   If you can measure that barrel key, I'll give him or my cousins a ring and see if there is anything they can do..

Fredric
Fredric,

Stripe

So, it was a no go on recycling the lock tumblers, too short for the thumb turn shafts.. Otherwise, they DO lock. Just not long enough to bolt the latch tongue to the tumbler..

Fredric
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Frederick...but been down this road, which is why I'll end up going with Southco/Uglyfish.  The lock mechanisms themselves are oversize, so only direct replacements will fit in the holes in the doors...and the lock barrels are proprietary...you can get replacements from Southco, but they are only a few bucks cheaper than the whole lock mechanism...Oi vey!  Once we land in NY I'll let you know what we end up doing, but its getting to the point now where I'm afraid I won't be able to open and close compartments if I don't do something soon.  And yep, disassembled and reassembled the locks with white grease and graphite, and its just that they are now worn out...the lands inside the round opening that accepts the key are almost non existant on most of the locks, thus the reason I have to force the key inward with vice grips while turning them.

Kev