Murphy is at it again!!

Started by Ken, May 06, 2013, 04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

I am not a happy camper today!! Just finished swapping out my old 440-3 with a low mileage 440-1. Overall it went well but was not without some difficult moments. New engine had an Edelbrock high rise performance intake manifold. Finally found an adapter to mate my Impco propane system to it. Stacking all this up resulted in my air cleaner now being 2 in + higher so doghouse had to be raised. Some pictures in my album if anyone interested. Finally got all loose ends cleaned up and pretty happy about it. Finally done and ready to go camping!! Filled water tank, no leaks. All is go! Plugged in electricity and turned on fridge. After about 15 min, heard that telltale gurgle sound from fridge. Opened fridge door and was almost floored by a waft of ammonia. My cooling unit is shot! Looks like Murphy and I are going to renew old acquaintances. We used to be on a first name basis, had hoped he had forgotten about me. (Found a reputable company to replace cooling unit at not an unreasonable cost. Don't want to tackle myself.) $@!#@! $@!#@!

[smg id=5173]

[smg id=5150]

ClydesdaleKevin

Glad you got the propane system to work with an Edlebrock...I'm sure a lot of folks here would love to know how you did that.  And sorry about your fridge...but at least you found an affordable company to fix it!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ibdilbert01

No many of the Impaco systems survived, mainly because of the recalls.    Would love to see close up pictures of it!!!  Hows it preform on the road when on LP?
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

tiinytina

Tried one of those K&N assemblies on our 454 and our mileage went from bad to worse especially in cold weather... back to snorkel with the KN filter in it, ram intake and the exhaust out take back into housing to preheat the intake air....  let us know what mileage you get.

Tina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Ken

Actually propane system is IMPCO. Was not aware of any recalls. These systems have been around here since back in the seventies. Dodge put out some factory propane trucks in mid eighties and used this same system. I have had numerous different propane systems over the years on trucks and motorhomes. Even some of the latest and greatest systems, couple of which I had removed and replaced with basic Impco system. Simple and reliable, Prefer straight propane. Dual fuel is usually a compromise. Little less power than gasoline but a whole lot cheaper. When fuel cost difference is factored in, it is the equivalent of getting about 14 mpg on gasoline on old engine, Don't know about this one yet. (Please don't interpret that I am an an expert on propane systems!!)

Ken

There are some more pictures in my album in photo gallery. I would have liked to use stock air filter and snorkel  for this engine but no room with propane system. Maybe will figure out something better later.

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuotePlease don't interpret that I am an an expert on propane systems!!

As the only propane resident it may just work out that way!  :)

Dave
PS - Mine did not have the carb parts so I stripped all of it off mine.
[move][/move]

Ken

Couple of closer pictures of propane system for those interested. Pretty basic system. Also had to rework and elevate throttle and downshift linkage with higher intake manifold.