1974 Winnebago Indian Restoration w/ Sildeout's

Started by MTRV, May 03, 2013, 11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTRV

It's been a years of a project, Labor of love.  Here is my first RV as I have been in the service industry most of my life. I have always been attached to Nelly my 1974 Winnebago Indian.  I traded for Nelly 17 years ago.. Nelly loved to travel to Silver Lake Sand Dunes most weekends thru the summers for 7 years.  Then to Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone with my Father in law and his buddy and several camping trips to Potato Creak State Park in Indiana.   Nelly has had several updates done over the years and the final renovation was started almost 36 months ago.

Here is a sample of some of Nelly's renovations.  I will post more specific photos as completion proceeds.
We are requesting to be invited to Winnebago National Rally in Iowa this year.. Anyone that can help us display Nelly at national WIT would be a huge help.
We will be traveling to Michigan Wit this Sat.. And also to Newmar Rally in Michigan u p.
and a good chance of going to Monaco rally in CoosBay Oregon and the FMCA International Rally in Oregon in 2014.

She is a beauty and was on display at FMCA and Fleetwood Rally in Goshen last week.. People were blown away.. some coming back for more..  When was the last time 15 adults were in a 23' 1974 motorhome.. with room to pass.

:)clap

[smg id=5187]

oilmaninpowell

Stripe

That is Awesome. I think it's cool to see an old classic get a neat modern upgrade!!!

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Wantawinnie

Welcome and nice work! More details on how you did the slide out would be great.

Lefty

I have always wondered if adding a slide out from a donor travel trailer or RV would be feasible. I figured it would if the surrounding structure was sufficiently beefed up to handle the stress of a large hole cut into the side. I'd love to see detailed information on that part of your upgrade, as I have a RV that I might consider doing as well.

I notice too, the outer skin has been replaced with smooth fiberglass sheets. We had a member here who also had that done to theirs (LJ/TJ), but yours is only the second one I've seen done that way. I do like the look the smooth surface gives, and it's a lot easier to lay graphics on without all those ridges and valleys.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

ibdilbert01

How did you attach the fiberglass sheets?  Did you peel off the metal siding or leave it?  Or did you just build all new sides?  The one LJ/TJ had, was a thin layer of Lauan stuck right over the metal siding, on the lauan they glued the fiberglass.   
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Lefty

"The one LJ/TJ had, was a thin layer of Lauan stuck right over the metal siding, on the lauan they glued the fiberglass."

Hmm, so that's how it was done... And all these years I thought they had reskinned or rebuilt the walls entirely.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

ibdilbert01

Yup, Dad and I took a close gander at it one year at the jam, we had intentions of doing the same thing with a slide out as well, but then I got all goofy and bought the bigger rig.   ;)
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

ClydesdaleKevin

SWEET!!!  Patti would like a slide on our HR to increase the living room/kitchen size.  How did you do it?

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

MTRV

When we do aftermarket slide-outs the exterior or interior wall is opened up and the sidewall reinforced with steel, alum, or wood depending on existing wall construction etc.  The slide-out box is then mfg to the hole opening useing a patented slide out four gear slide system ordered in by hole size.  This is my 74 Aftermarket Slide conversion since 1998 and I/my shop repairs/rebuilds 100's yearly. I would trust my Grand Children in my Slide-Out conversions.

[smg id=5191]

[smg id=5192]

[smg id=5188]

LJ-TJ

That's the inside of a Classic Winnebago? Are you kidding me! Geessss don't let the wife see that. Sweet. :)ThmbUp

Wantawinnie

Double slides! You do very nice work. :)ThmbUp

Please keep posting as you complete the transformation.

Oz

Since this project is the kind of work the member does for a living, providing instruction on how it's done may well be giving away his "trade secrets" and think we can all see why it would be quite understandable for him to reserve sharing the details.  Although his project blog is general in nature rather than a detailed, how to build a slide-out project blog, I will be still be leaving it on this board since it is a very special and highly desireable modification for those who would like to see it they could do it.

So, anyone who may have information on how to actually do this project may certainly post their info on this topic.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this post and if it seems unclear in any way, please feel free to state what isn't clear and I will try my best to further explain the reasoning.

D:oH!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

moonlitcoyote

My husband has been begging for a slide. I'd like to see prices to have this done.

Oz

Oh, about $5,000 for a small bare-bones one... and up... easily $15,000 or more for two, nice full length ones but, that's pocket change for us vintage RVers... I'll take 3 or 4, maybe even keep on more for a spare...

:)rotflmao
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

moonlitcoyote

Is that all well sign me up  for 2 full length ones, lol

MTRV

Yes due to problems with the original alum sidewalls pin holes etc.  I did not want to go to the extreme renovation with full body paint to have alum failures in the future.

drzbrave

Nice work, I own a 1974 D-19 and will be interested in having major renovation performed in a couple of years.  What is the scope of your shops work?  Thanks, Chris

MTRV

LJ-TJ

GOOD LORD! Words have yet been created to describe the beauty of that rig. Well,well done. My dream rig. What did you use for wheels and were did you get them if you don't mind me asking. Sweet. D:oH!

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

joanfenn

ramit

M & J

I was good until the paint job.

Classic lines of the coach should have been preserved in a modern style. Updated yes, but its not a Prevost.
M & J

Elandan2

Guess I should have watched it last night, it's gone now.  :(  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck