Oklahoma 2013

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, May 03, 2013, 06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVA78Chieftain

Quoteso statistically its unlikely for another one to hit again any time soon.

Mother nature has never heard of statistics.  The EF-5 Moore, OK tornado partially overlaid the EF-3 track of 1999.  So, ...

You might want them to start thinking about scheduling this fair at a different time of year!

Dave

Edited: They upgraded the EF-4 to an EF-5.
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Hope you stay safe down there, I havent had any service, TV or internet so no idea whats been going on.

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on May 20, 2013, 07:31 PM
  Incidently, about 3 years ago during the offseason a tornado ripped through the campground here when it was empty...
Kev

We just left a campground that was flattened by a tornado 2 years ago and the people that were staying in it lived but were trapped for 6 days before help could get them out. (I was happy to leave that area behind)

ClydesdaleKevin

Beautiful blue skies now!  Supposed to be great weather all through Memorial Day.  So off to work!  I have to get all the trebuchets and mangonels finished today, a bunch of torsion pistols completely finished tomorrow, and a buttload of Twister and Bandit pistols completely finished on Friday.  No shooting range this week, that's for sure!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Twister pistol?  Some sort of Oklahoma inspiration there?  :)
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Dave...our second to the bottom line of catapult...the first bottom line being powered by rubber bands, and the next up from twisted ropes, thus the moniker of Twister.

Got all the trebuchets and mangonels completely done today, by around 7pm.  Tomorrow its a big run of 50 Torsion Catapistols, start to finish, then on Friday its a run of 80 Twisters and Bandits, half and half.

Busy busy busy, and thats a good thing!  Gonna have another fun vacation before NY starts in August.  Dodge City, Mount Rushmore...those are the 2 things we are definately going to see, but the rest of the route is fluid.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Toby Tyler

If you have an specific questions about Mount Rushmore or the Black Hills let me know. My wife and I were interpretive Rangers at Mount Rushmore National Memorial. Actually that's where we met.

Wantawinnie

Quote from: Toby Tyler on May 23, 2013, 09:17 AM
If you have an specific questions about Mount Rushmore or the Black Hills let me know. My wife and I were interpretive Rangers at Mount Rushmore National Memorial. Actually that's where we met.

That is cool! Hoping to take the Winnebago out and see Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, etc. when I get it back on the road.

Toby Tyler

That would definitely be a awesome trip!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Kevin -

Your supposed to keep your tornado warnings out there with you!   No fun being at work while the wife is in the middle of a storm cell that is generating tornado warnings!   N:(   Was just warnings from radar but still, no fun

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!  Looks like we'll see the Black Hills this summer, the gods willing.  It will be a very awesome trip, but lets see how much we can squirrel away from my long hours and if the weather holds out.

Worked until past 7pm tonight, started at 8am.  And got the Torsion Catapistols completely built.  Woohoo!

Right on schedule for the complete build, start to finish, of the Twisters and Bandits tomorrow.  Should be a great 3 day weekend!

Kev

Wantawinnie

My original hometown of Barneveld, WI was pretty much leveled back in 1984 by an F5 tornado. Nine people killed out of a population of 600. My parents knew everyone that died. I was only 11 years old but it was quite a feeling seeing everything you grew up around destroyed in a few minutes. Fortunately, we had moved away a couple years earlier and were not there when it happened. My family went back to help with the cleanup right away. Many friends and relatives were still lived there at the time and the stories were pretty scary.

This is a picture of the Homecoming Parade in the early 1980's that my grandpa took, my dad is driving the '68 Charger behind the firetruck. The Charger survived and I still have it. The fire station and fire truck were lost along with nearly everything else in town.

Here is the same street after the tornado hit a couple years later.

ClydesdaleKevin

Damn!  Tornados are nothing to triffle with.

Got a whole bunch of catapults build in 3 days, with the help of Patti.  3 Mangonels with the addition redesigned armature, 4 Trebuchets, 50 Torsion Catapistols, 40 Bandits, and 40 Twisters.  DAMN the Kev and Patti show rocks!  We can pull miracles out of our behinds when we need to!  And it wasn't even crazy long days, although the days were long.  Around 8am to 7pm for 3 days straight.

The weekend should be awesome!

Kev

Toby Tyler

I hope you guys have a great weekend and are raking in more than just marshmallows.

Froggy1936

Why dont the people who decide to live in these areas build underground ? There should be nothing above ground except crops and public parks .It crazy to know that sooner or later it will get destroyed.  They have finally wised up on the Atlantic shore No building allowed beyond the dunes and increased the dune size and insurance premiums for those who want ocean views then when destroyed want taxpayers to replace there loss .Persons who make decisions to gamble against nature should not be made whole when they lose the bet even if its 100 yrs later. This is a waste of resorces. And scammers who prey on these people should face the death sentence ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

JDxeper

It's the same reason people drive cars and trucks, some get killed every day!
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ClydesdaleKevin

Yesterday was a very busy day!  2 more days to go!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

A great day today!  One more to go!  And one more weekend after that to go, which means another 2 weeks of heavy production until vacation starts!

Our vacation plans continue to evolve as well.  Our first stop on our way North is going to be Dodge City...woohoo!  Another cowboy town!  I hope its half as cool as Tombstone!

Then we'll meander our way north to the Black Hills before heading east to New York.  Hoping to be able to stop at the Mor-Ryde facility in Elkhart, Indiana on the way to NY from the Black Hills, so they can raise my rear suspension at a reasonable rate.  All the RV shops scratch their domes and quote me several hundred dollars in labor...Mor-Ryde said it would take them about an hour...lol!

Still planning our route north, so if anyone has any suggestions let us know!  We'll be passing through Kansas, Nebraska, and then into South Dakota, and the route east will bring us through Iowa, the Nazi state of Illinois, into Indiana, through Ohio, Pennsylvania, then into NY. 

If anyone has some land and wants a visit, we are fully self contained and need nothing but maybe a water tank fillup...lol!

Tomorrow its another day of shooting folks, then back to work on the catapults!

Kev

joanfenn

Come way north and visit us canucks, as I said before, we are friendly.  We have two acres out back you can park in.  It is overlooking a pond.  And the hose will reach. 

moonlitcoyote

How far North is it? I might take you up on that

joanfenn

We are about 6hours straight north of Coutts, Montana.

moonlitcoyote

Oops, cant go there, no passports :(

ClydesdaleKevin

A fun but slow Memorial day, but overall a great weekend!  Got all the materials today, a hair cut, and did some grocery shopping with Patti.  The next 3 days is going to be some more long hours of catapult building!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Spent all day cutting out parts...even parts I don't need yet.  Easier to carry parts than full lengths of wood.  Cut and cut and cut, all day...and some routering too.

Then noticed Sheba was peeing blood...rushed her to the vet.  She is most likely poisoned with rat poison, and most likely intentionally.  Please pray for her and send her positive thoughts and energy...and send me calming thoughts and energy so I don't kill someone and end up in prison.

Kev

Stripe

Kev, hang in there, I am definitely praying for her..

Fredric

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Toby Tyler

Any updates on your Sheba, Kevin?