Oklahoma 2013

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, May 03, 2013, 06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

And thus begins a new chapter in our adventures!

Tomorrow is the opening day of the 2013 Oklahoma Renaissance Festival.  Vacation is officially over, although another one is right around the corner!

Let the festivities begin!  Or in our case, the long hours of building catapults and squeezing in RV projects in between...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

I decided to fire up the Midland WR-100 weather radio this evening, since we are in tornado alley!  Put new backup batteries in it, and set the S.A.M.E. code to this county and the one we are next to.  If there are any tornados coming, it will sound off an alarm like crazy!  Be Prepared!!!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

So, there really are "Winds whistling down the plains" there?? ???
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

Winds on steroids...lol!

Its a craptastic opening day...cold and rainy and supposed to be that way all day.  Lovely.   $@!#@!

Patti is staying home...no point in both of us suffering in the cold rain.

Ah well...supposed to be nice tomorrow at least!

Kev

Stripe

How long does this Faire typically run?
Fredric,

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

ClydesdaleKevin

This one runs five weekends.

It was indeed a cold and craptastically rainy day today...I think I froze my Sporran off!  However, there were WAY more people here today than I thought there would be, and I managed to pull off a decent day!  Not great by any means, but we certainly made enough to make it worth the frozen Sporran... :)rotflmao

Tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid 60s with no rain so it should be a great day.  And Patti will be in the booth with me so I won't be so bored!

Let's see how tomorrow goes! 

Kev

Stripe

Lol!!  That's why I wear my Sporran on the OUTSIDE!! When I was at the Liverpool Scottish Festival in Liverpool, NY, I had a woman come up to me and asked, "is anything worn under your kilt?", I said with a straight face, "No ma'am, everything under my kilt is in perfect working order." She walked away blushing.  :-[
I also thank God mine is silk lined!! W%

BTW, look up Cosmeston medieval living museum.  Went there in July, '11 for RnR while deployed to Afghanistan. THE coolest thing I ever experienced.  After seeing it on "Terry Jones' Medieval Lives", I had to go there while visiting my mates in Poole..
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

Sounds cool, Frederic!

Its already a lot warmer than yesterday, so today should be a much better day.  I have to go set up the booth soon, and then Patti will join me once she gets all prettified. 

Once she gets to the booth I'll have to make a run and get more marshmallows...I should have picked them up last night, but I was frozen!

Kev

Stripe

Mmmm, shmores.....  <drool>
Fredric,

Wantawinnie

Stripe

AHHH, Marshmallow trebuchets and Catapults!!  LOL!!

"Bring those walls down!"
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

Warmer today, no rain, and Patti was with me...so a much funner day! 

Not the best money day, but overall the weekend was pretty good.

Gotta build some catapults this week, install the Jeep tonneau cover, and work on some projects.  Not a heavy week, but a single student day on Friday...its a love/hate relationship with student days...good money, but obnoxious little morons unattended by parents...lol!

Also gotta start building up stock for NY, which will go into full production next week.

Kev

joanfenn

Would you rather have a STUDENT DAY or a SOGGY SPORRAN?  Now what REALLY IS WORSE?

Stripe

As long as it stayed on the outside of the kilt where it belongs, I'd rather deal with the soggy sporran. But fortunately for me, mine is made of leather.. Hehehe....

Now to tune my pipes...
W%
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!  We always make good money on student days, so while I grumble about them we do like having them.  Kids love buying things that shoot things...I just feel sorry for the field trip bus drivers... :)rotflmao

Gotta go get materials sometime today, then get back and get the workshop in order so I can get everything cut out tomorrow.  Back to work!

Kev

moonlitcoyote

Hey Kevin, do you have a website or something with what you do. I keep reading along but have no idea what it's all about. I have never been to a Ren fair.

joanfenn

MJ:  go to the home page, scroll down to the bottom and click on SEIGE THE DAY.  and you are there.  Joan

Stripe

Yeah, check it out, he's got some neat stuff. I'm deciding meself which "toy" he makes that I want..  :D

Fredric
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

There is a direct link on the home page...or go to wwwDOTstdcatapultsDOTcom.  Its what we do when we aren't on vacation...lol!

Got all our materials today and some groceries, and are now in for the night.  Tomorrow its a lot of cutting and drilling and sanding!  And since the rear tonneau cover is supposed to arrive tomorrow, I'll install that while I'm at it.

A little nervous about Wednesday's weather forcast..."severe" thunderstorms predicted, which can mean tornadoes in these parts!  I already have the rig ready to roll in an emergency!  Just unhook from the shore lines, drop the front fence, and go!

A relatively small amount of catapults to build this week...just 50 Bandits and 40 desktop mousetrap catapults...and then we are going to get REALLY busy building machines for New York!  Gotta start building up a large amount for one of our busiest shows!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

All the parts got cut out, and the rear tonneau cover is installed in the Jeep.  The summer configuration is finished!  Ain't it purdy?

The soft canvas "Emergency Storm Doors" are stored under the tonneau cover, over the wheel wells, with plenty of room underneath for groceries. 

SWEET!

Kev

DaveVA78Chieftain

???       Hold it, wait a minute    ???
Where are the dogs going to ride?
Patties lap is not going to work

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Dave!  I already installed 2 D-Rings on the floor where the seat mounts were.  Short leashes get attached to them and to the pups...tonneau cover removed of course.  We can take the pups anywhere if we remove the tonneau cover, and we'd of course remove the windjammer as well so they could stick their heads all up in our business, like they like to do.

Lots more work to do tomorrow and Thursday!  Gotta get the catapults ready for next weekend...a student day on Friday, and beautiful weather predicted for this coming weekend.

Kev

Stripe

Fredric,

moonlitcoyote

Dave took the words right out of my mouth, nice looking Jeep.