Buying correct P30 airbags

Started by moonlitcoyote, March 02, 2013, 02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

Hubby has decided it's time to change our leaking airbags. So i searched the Maintenance and service manual and came up with this for the front air bags..

"This unit uses an Airlift HD bag Part No. 15631881 . Vendor #40-571"

But, when I search for that part number I dont come up with anything. I have searched all the web sites that have been listed in the forum over the years but I have found that I dont understand what I am looking for.

One website listed a universal set but it didnt state whether it was for the front or rear.

So, I'm hoping someone that has looked into or has changed their airbags can shed some light on this topic for me. Mainly, do I need vehicle specific airbags or would the universal ones work? And, how do I figure out when looking if they are for the front or rear?

I have always been able to fix anything but coming up with the correct part seems to be my downfall. If anyone is bored and wants to find the correct part for me that would be awesome but if not, just some schooling on the topic would be a great help. Thank you

MJ

moonlitcoyote

I looked that one up but it doesnt show it is for the P30, unless I missed something.

piorun

moonlitcoyote

piorun, did you do the rears too? I need to replace all 4 of mine.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

piorun

I did fronts only. Rears are on a list to do.

moonlitcoyote

Thank you Dave, you always seem to come up with great information.

Is there any way I can tell which ones are installed, just to be sure I can buy the replacement bags only. I hate to order the bags just to find out they are the wrong ones. Or should I just buy the whole kit with brackets and all?

The fronts wouldnt be any big deal it seems the kit is cheaper than just the bags but the rear ones are $443 for the kit compared to 110 for just the bag.

DaveVA78Chieftain

If memory serves me correctly, the "stock" setup did not have the hoses and stuff (just an airbag).  So the "kit" version gives you hoses that you route out where the "fill valves" are easily accessable without crawling under the rig.   If "hoses" are already there, then inspect them as plastic is affected by age and heat/cold.  To kit or not to kit is a matter of existing hose condition if installed or how difficult do you want putting air in the bags to be.

Dave

Front:
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7259&zenid=db92195bb77abb2c69c8a2e810dbd3c3

Rear

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/air-lift-57203-air-helper-springs-chevy-p30-p32

[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

The rear bags have hoses that run out to a convenient location but the front ones do not have hoses. I dont really need hoses attached as I dont plan on messing with them all the time.

But that doesnt really answer my question. I know the back ones are firestone, no idea what the front ones are. So can I just replace the bags if they are a different brand? Or do I need to replace the whole kit?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Either one can be used.  Both are just replacing the OEM version that was originally installed.

Dave
[move][/move]

Lefty

Might want to grab them soon...
They are offering Free Shipping for both kits currently, and both are also on sale at good discounts.

Rear: $289.50  (reg price: $321.67)
Front: $88.62 (reg price: $98.47)

Mine was never equipped with the rear bags, but I'm hoping they will improve the ride and handling (when coupled with new shocks and a few new suspension bushings). My front bags were rotten and haven't worked since I purchased the rig, in fact, I went ahead and plucked all the pieces of them out from between the front coils soon after buying it. I hope to be able to order both sets soon, while they are still on sale.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

oblivious

Thanks everyone! Just purchased front airbags from SDtrucksprings for $98.95. Tried google search then searched this forum. Was working on the motorhome last week and went to fill left airbag and PFFFT. It leaked since I bought the MH 3 years ago. Installed airbags on the El camino I had so I know what may be involved.  :)clap