1983 Holiday Rambler Imperial 33' - I've lost my mind!

Started by Espiritus, April 14, 2013, 04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteI'm starting to feel like the know-it-all that used to annoy me as a kid.

:laugh:     Doubtful.  Sorry I missed you Dan.   :-[

Dave
[move][/move]

HandyDan

I happened to find these pictures I took of an HR at a salvage  yard.  It will give you an idea of what is underneath the surface. 

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Oz

I just put Handy Dan's owner's manual in the gallery.  It's great quality... keyword searchable, and indexed.  It'll be in the free owner's manuals section soon!

Thanks Fred and Dan!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Great picture of the roof assembly, Dan!  See the way its constructed everyone?  That is the reason HR roofs "feel" a little soft and squishy...all that foam and insulation gives a bit under your feet...but are strong like bull!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Looks like a lot of insulation and space to help keep the coach cooler too!

Rickf1985

Welcome, and you have not lost your mind. Or if you have then you have joined a LOT of other like (lost)minded people. And if that is your office the YOU are THE man! I love trains but cannot afford to ride them.

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

wrolandhyattjr

I am right now researching 1987 Holiday Rambler Imperial 33.  I plan to go have a look at it on Sunday when the seller returns from a weekend trip.  I'm trying to find out what I can.  It's 101K 454 with 50K on a rebuilt tranny.  Here's the sellers description:

1987 Holiday Rambler Imperial , 454, 101k. 50,000 mi on tranny. Runs like a top. Passes smog. Everything works. 2, AC's. Sat. TV, central vac, built in blender. 7000 watt generator. New tires. We have had it for 9 years. We bought from first owner in 2007. Inverter, 6 volt golf cart battery system. Was remodeled before we got it. New headliner, driver/passenger seats, carpet. No leaks.

He's asking 8200.  What do y;all think?
Needless to say, I'll be a seller of stuff soon!!

Roland Hyatt
Fallon, Nevada
1988 Elandan 37RQ
1989 Monaco Crown Royale 36
1997 Damon Ultrasport 3001B class C
1972 Superior 2500
Roland Hyatt
1991 Gulf Stream Conquest Class c
1988 Winnebago Elandan 37RQ

fasteddie313

I think $8,200 is a bit on the higher side but that does not mean too much.. If it is in really good shape and well maintained/up to date on maintenance, everything was kept up to shape for its entire life, then I think $8,200 would be a good deal..

I could see an 80's rambler going for close to $15k still for a fine specimin, especially a special one like clidesdalekevin's or a deisel..

I picked a rambler because I think they are one of the best built coaches of the time being all aluminum framed like they are and aluminum skinned they arent quite as succeptable to degradation over time like wood and laminated fiberglass coaches are.

I got mine for a lot less than that but I have a LOT of work to do. But I can do this work with piece of mind that the base I am improving/restoring is worthy.. I will never have delamination or rotten studs in my walls..

HandyDan

Take it for a drive and get up to 65mph.  Make sure it doesn't have a vibration at that speed. Other than that, a Holiday Rambler is a great vintage motorhome.  Mine has never leaked, doesn't delaminate, and has no rust.  The floor plan is just about like every other motorhome of its age and length.  The tag axle needs looking at.  Make sure the rubber hasn't pulled away from the metal plates.  Morryde (tag axle people) used to be easy to work with but lately their customer service has been lacking.  I have tried emailing, calling, and texting and haven't received an answer.  I want to order new rubber "springs" but apparently they don't want to deal with old stuff anymore.  I bought mine for $6000 but I think I paid about $2000 too much considering the condition it was in. 
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Rickf1985

That rear suspension issue could be troubling. If they are not servicing the older stuff anymore that pretty much obsoletes the older motorhomes since the only option is to completly change the rear suspension to springs or air. And that would cost more than the motor home.

Jerry

Handydan do you smell propane from the pressure relief all the time? I do on mine have used soapy water and checked every fitting and line even bought a gas sniffer and found nothing finally figured out it was coming from the pressure relief but doesn't seem to be a actual leak. is this normal?
Jerry

HandyDan

No, I don't smell propane.  That isn't normal unless the tank is overfilled.  Have you had it filled lately?
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Jerry

Just refilled the other day, It seems there is days no smell the previous tank lasted about 10 months and we have used the stove a lot as well as the furnace this winter. I can't tell there is any drop when not in use. All I can figure is maybe the pressure release leaks a little but if the tank is turned off no smell. the thing is driving me nuts
Jerry

Rickf1985

If it is the original regulator it would be a good idea to replace it, they are not all that expensive and the new ones are two stage. Yours might be a single stage. Two stage is much better. Be sure you get the right orientation, horizontal or vertical.

Elandan2

Have you checked for leaks around the valve stem? On mine, we would smell gas if the valve wasn't open or closed fully. I finally checked it and sure enough, there was a small leak around the stem. I replaced it and problem solved!
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

Actually, this would be best discussed on the appropriate message board since this is tech topics rather than introductions, humor, etc.,