Replacing old style termination dump valve?

Started by Thren1, June 05, 2009, 08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thren1

Sent: 4/11/2007

Hello!
I need to replace my termination valve on my 72 Brave.  There is no grey water tank.  I noticed that there was a mention of a picture where a t valve was used so that the grey water can flow into the black water.  I was told that the old white kind are no longer made.  Any suggestions as to how I can get this to work without too much money.  I may have to do this myself.  Can we use white pvc pipe like you get from Lowes?  Help!

Slantsixness

Thren,

You are correct, there is no grey water tank on a 72.
The white valve, though is obsolete. BUT... the Valve is "standardized" so any RV parts source has them, you just have to remove the 4 rusted, crusty bolts from your valve, remove it, and install a new valve, like a Valley, Therefor,... doesn't matter which you buy, just look for the same size 3" valve with 4 mounting holes. I had to drill me bolts out, they were pretty bad, but still only about an hour to change the valve. You will have to buy 4 longer (3") screws and nuts, the newer flanges are much thinner than the old fiber-form tanks in 72's. This will be the new style valve with the T handle, not the round white knob, and they usually don't lock like the original did. Just measure the size. They stock these at McGeorge RV supercenter in Ashland, if you can't find a place in Southside, but there is an RV dealer there on route 1 near Bellwood Flea market on the East side of route 1... they should have it too.

The black pipe in the winnie is not the same as white PVC, to mix the new white PVC and the old black plastic pipe, you'll have to find the right adhesive. The newer adhesives don't work on the older black pipe. they have it at Lowes, I just don't remember what it's called exactly. Just to replace just the valve, you don't need new pipes, just the valve!

Careful when you take the valve out... there will be some 34 year old ugly smelly stuff (well...it is crap!) Be sure you get it clean and dry, and seal the new valve mounts with either plumbers putty (recommended) or silicone. You'll have to re-do silicone in a year or two, it will deteriorate, but that's up to you.

Sorry I never got to meet you, I ended up moving to Florida. My brother is still down there in Chesterfield though.

Tom  
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Thren1

Hello!
Thanks for the information.  What type of cover do you put on the pipe that leads from the sink and that the pipe from the black water hooks into.  I looked at a cap and it was a lot bigger that the end of the pipe that is there.  I took pictures.  Thanks for your help

Slantsixness

The new style cap is different. You will have to find the end (most RV stores have it) and the "bigger cap, with the garden hose sized grey water drain (looks like a cap with another little cap on it, the size of a garden hose (you can buy these at most Wal*Marts). It's for your portable grey tank (which is usually blue...!) In the old days, they just ran the grey water out a garden hose... made for some squishy conditions after a shower.... (yuck).

Anyway... You will need to mount a collar to the original pipe end, then put the new style cap on. Sometimes when you can't buy the "collared" flange as a single item, just find a 3" sewer "Tee" (cheap!) with the appropriate end for the cap, and cut it and glue it (the special glue at Lowes from the first reply...) on to the original pipe. That's what I did, and it's hardly noticeable, but it sticks out about 1/2" further than the original round hose connection, which actually makes it a little easier to use!

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Thren1

Hello!
Thanks for the information.  This will be my project for the next few days.  I was just about ready to go camping when I realized that the valve was broken and the RV shop stated I had to get it off first and then they could see if they had a part.  I  had to end up getting all new rims and Tires for the RV but peace of mind has its price.  I trust you are enjoying FL.  Again thanks!

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 4/12/2007

Hey Thren!

If you look in the photo album and find "The Ark, 1972 Futura", you'll find pictures of not only the way I originally put in two valves in order to use the black tank for both grey and black, but you'll also see the way I plumbed the Ark with the new holding tanks, one grey, and one black.  It wasn't all that difficult, although it wasn't cheap, and it was an all day project.  The new Itasca (1977) already has grey and black tanks, which thankfully are huge!

The white cap, valves, outlet, etc., are indeed, unfortunately, no longer made.  And the black caps that you can buy at Walmart or RV dealers won't fit the white outlet!  We were fortunate enough that the cap was still on the Itasca, but it was missing the small cap for the garden hose outlet, and the rubber gasket that seals the whole cap...needless to say, without the gasket and even with a garden hose in place, most of the grey water was leaking on the ground.  Solution?  I bought a black cap at Walmart with the hose outlet, and then cannibalized it....The hose cap fits, and the gasket is so close in size that it works!  You might want to glue it in place though...its a little bit bigger than the one the white cap had, and while it will squish into place, it wants to fall out.

Junkyards are another place you might want to try to find old style valves and caps and outlets...you might get lucky and find one!

Good luck!

Kev and Patti  
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Thren1

Sent: 4/12/2007

Hello!
Thanks for the pictures.   My son got the old valve off and I will be taking it to the RV store in the morning to see if I can get anything to fit.  If not, I will have to hold off on camping until I can get this fixed and will probably do something similar to how you set it up for 1 tank to be used by both.  Again, thanks!