where the heck is the power steering reservoir?

Started by Brianpaul77, June 01, 2015, 10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brianpaul77

There's some whining coming from the PS pump when i turn the wheel, so i decide to check the fluid level and possibly flush and refill.  I can't for the life of me find where the reservoir is, and I've looked pretty thoroughly.  First opened the front access, not seeing it there,  I opened the doghouse.  Just don't see it.  Even followed the steering down to the coupler and pump, then trying to trace from there.  At this point I'm convinced it's missing?

Brianpaul77

Ok, so reading.  There is no reservoir, I just drain and fill the pump?  Confused, doesn't seem like the most convenient way to add fluid if it's low on a trip. 

Oz

Should be in front of the motor, on the left as you're looking down from inside the RV on the driver's side.  That's it, that's all there is to it.  Twist off the cap and fill it there.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Brianpaul77

Mark,

That's what i assumed, but I'm telling ya, it's just not there.  I even had my neighbor come over with a second set of eyes and he couldn't locate it either.  Would it be possible it broke off or would have been removed/moved for some reason?  I've never had such a problem locating such a basic thing, very frustrated.

DaveVA78Chieftain

The stock Dodge Motorhome Power steering pump has an attached reservoir like this:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/P-S-Pump-w-Reservoir-Remfd/_/R-NSP817410F_0462307904

The power steering pulley attaches to the shaft.

If yours does not look like that then take a closer look at you chassis and make sure it is not a Chevy P30.

Dave
[move][/move]

Brianpaul77

Holy smokes, i finally found it.  Had to pull off the air cleaner to even get a glimpse of the cap.  Even then it was recessed quite a ways down and is underneath some other parts, not easy to get to.  Similar to the brake master cylinder, i guess they just didn't want to make it easy for owners to check fluid levels and bleed systems.