Shock bushings don't fit - new monroe shocks m300

Started by Thenoob, September 27, 2015, 09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenoob

Hey guys

1973 d18 went to change my front shocks.  Weird problem, don't fit.  Bushings wrong size.  One end fits the other does not. 

Bought monroe shocks , front.
http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/555011

Says its the correct size but the bushings don't for at one end.  Any ideas what's going on?????

DaveVA78Chieftain

The Monroe 555011 (Gabriel G63605) uses 11/16" at one end and 5/8" at the other
The Monroe 555012 (Gabriel G63183) uses 11/16" at both ends
Was not unusual for Winnebago to install this years house (1973) on last years chassis (1972)
Gabriel indicates the Gabriel G63183 (Monroe 555012) was used in 1969 - 1972)
Would the Monroe 555012 (Gabriel G63183) solve your issue?
[move][/move]

Thenoob

I'm hoping and guessing that's the case, silly
Dodge and their parts replacements ,
Makes a guy
Go nuts

Thenoob

Just looked at the 555012, those are for the rear, does anybody know which monroes fit the front?

Just spent 220.00 on the 2 front shocks to find out the bushings are diff.

Thenoob

Yall lucky
In the usa, here in Canada the 555013 is obsolete part number.  I had it cross referenced to this:

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/66859

If anybody has the stock shock measurements to share that would
Be awesome

Rickf1985

Thenoob

I talked to monroe and got some Interesting news.
The 555013 is now an Obsolete number.  The direct replacement number now is 66859. I had to special order mine as none were in stock in the entire lower mainland of vancouver.  So anyone replacing the 68-72 in the front and you can't bring up the part#, there's your new part #

Rickf1985

I am confused, you got the 011's for the front but the bushings were too small but the 012's are the same with the correct size bushings and are available. Where does the 013 come into the picture?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Here is the proper Monroe RV reference material 2014-2015-MonroeCV-RecreationalVehicles.pdf from Monroe RV shocks - All makes and Classes - Part Number References

Shows the 555013 listing for 68-72

Now with the:
QuoteThe 555013 is now an obsolete number.  The direct replacement number now is 66859.

all will understand and benefit from the information

Monroe 66859
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

OK, so where did the 011 come into the picture? I am still confused. I am thinking the totally wrong shocks were bought from the beginning right? But I never knew the Canadians had to pay double price on this stuff! ???

Thenoob

Yup pretty silly.

When I called monroe directly 555011 is listed with them as 1973-74 front shocks for the dodge m300.  Had them double check the info because I never trust a spreadsheet.

Bottom bushing all good., top bushing is 1/2" and not 11/16.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/555011

Thenoob

There was a lot of going back and
Forth because I guess they are phasing out these part numbers

Up here, absolutely nothing was listed under those part numbers hence the phone calls and trying to figure it out.
I am too surprised buy the price doubling up here for the product.  All is well now, I've got those 66859's and should
Be the exact correct fit.  But up here, that is the new correct part number

DaveVA78Chieftain

Rick,
It depends on where you look for the info. 
The 555013 is used on 68 - 72 chassis' front
The 555011 is used on 73 - 81 chassis' front
The 555012 is used on 68 - 81 chassis' rear

Winnebago had to order the chassis early so it was normal for them to place this years model (e.g 1973) on the previous year Dodge chassis (e.g 1972).

If you have a 73 winne on a 72 chassis you need 555013 on front which can confuse a 73 Winnebago owner which I suspect is what happened here.  See the pdf file I linked to for year applications.
Also, some web sites only list back to 73.
Add the fact in that Monroe is changing their part numbering system and it gets real deep  D:oH!
[move][/move]

Thenoob

Exactly what he said.
We got it figured out so if anybody runs into that problem, there's your answer!!

ClydesdaleKevin

When I replaced the shocks on our GM chassis P30 Holiday Rambler, 4 out of the 6 shocks that the Monroe part numbers said were the right ones had the wrong size bushings.  I ended up making bushing liners for them that fit like a glove from the old bushings as they were all oversized for the studs that my RV had, and from bushing I bought from a local True Value, and local Sears hardware store.  Somewhere there is a post buried on this website about it, probably with pictures...lol!  It was time sensitive and I didn't have time to send them back and try to get the right ones, so I made bushing liners by taking the old bushings out of the old shocks, cutting them lengthwise with my grinder to take away some material, tapped them into the eyelet bushings, and made them fit.  Still going strong!!!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

hemi354az

http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/english/MonroeMountingLengthSpecifications.pdf

Monroe Shock Lengths and End Types. At page 81 or so it tells dimensions and types of the bushings and sleeves. Order what you need.
Lou FMC #120 in Aridzona

Thenoob

Quick update for everyone, shocks arrived and went on great.  Part number can be referenced for replacement