Spring Vacation Boondocking Adventure, 2013

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, April 06, 2013, 08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

And so our next boondocking vacation begins!  Maps of free camping areas are downloaded and printed out for the Sedona, AZ area, everything is ready to go, the Jeep is loaded up and ready to attach to the tow bar, and we leave in the morning!

First stop is the Flying J in Phoenix to gas up, propane up, and dump the grey water tanks.  Then its off we go!  Should be a great time!

3 weeks until we have to be at our next faire in Oklahoma...going to try to arrive there on April 27th.  So for a week or so we'll be boondocking near Sedona and exploring the town, then we'll slowly head east.  Gonna check out the meteor crater along I-40, and of course see the Petrified Forest and a place called the painted desert...not sure if its THE painted desert...just saw it on the map today...but it will be fun no matter what!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

joanfenn

YEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiinytina

Think its Red Planet Diner... was on main drag in Sedona.. Best hand mixed sodas... they blend the syrups in to order with flavors etc... total tacky alien themed... yummo food...
Tina

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

Just enjoying our morning coffee before hitting the road.  Should be out of camp and hooking up the Jeep by around 9am, then its off to the Flying J.  Supposed to get VERY hot today in the valley, up in the 90s, so we are hoping to get to higher ground before it gets too hot.  Only supposed to be in the 70s in Sedona today!  Woohoo!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DonD

56 here right now, clear and sunny, about 45 mi. ss/w of Sedona.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

jkilbert

I've been to the painted desert and petrified forest when I was about 13yo. It's beautiful there
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

ibdilbert01

Your in for a real treat!!!

The Crater  (They have a nice museum too)

The painted desert (My camera did not catch the colors!!!)

Petrified Forest

On I40 outside the petrified forest is a rather peculiar rock shop.   10 years ago or so they use to have mannequins and fake dinosaurs out front of the shop, later they added an ostrich farm.   I always stop and stock up on rocks for my aquariums.  The place is called Stewart's.   :D
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

ClydesdaleKevin

Safe arrival at the Cococino National Forest campground, the Pine Flat campground, along 89A North.  About 14 miles north of Sedona, and 14 miles south of Flagstaff.  We'll be here for 7 days, so that works out great!  We'll be able to check out both towns before moving on to the Crater/Painted Desert/Petrified Forest area for another week of adventure.

Today we are just hanging out and staying warm in the RV...we are 5500 feet, and its darn chilly today, in the low 50s.  I drove the Jeep to Flagstaff this morning to get smokes, and its at 7000 feet or thereabouts, and most if it is gained in the first 4 miles of leaving this campground.  VERY steep 7% grade of switchbacks.  Remember the Long, Long Trailer?  Yeah, its like that!  Patti will be following in the Jeep for those first 4 miles until we crest the mountain.  There is a pulloff at the top where I can pull over and hook the Jeep back up to the tow bar.

We decided to stay here at the National Forest campground because the so called free camping in the Sedona area is all designed for tents.  No way to get an RV in there...at all.  So we drove on, picked up 89A north, and luckily found this nice little campground.  Not too expensive though at all...just 9 bucks a day with the Senior Access Pass.  7 day limit, which also works out perfectly!

Got the catalytic heater running, and am about to start reading a new book written by an ex CIA operative called, The Snubby Revolver...started it a couple of days ago.  Looks like it will be a good read!

Kev

Cold, windy, and raining today, so we are in for the day.

DonD

Don and Mary

HandyDan

I checked where you are staying on Google Maps and did a little drive through the countryside on StreetView of Google Maps.  I sure don't envy you on your departure from Pine Flat.  That is one curvy, steep, climb to Flagstaff.  But the view is magnificent.  Enjoy your vacation.  Wish I was there.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DonD

100 ft el. gain. per mile to Flagstaff (14mi). Beautiful up there.
Don and Mary

Gary Eddy

Don't miss the crator. I was shocked by the size of it and the impact story.  ???
Gary Eddy
Fulltime Firefighter
St Paul MN

HandyDan

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on March 27, 2013, 11:08 PM
Sorry about my lack of posts and how boring they have been.  Very busy over here!  Last weekend of faire coming up, so I'll have more free time to post coming up shortly.  After this weekend, we'll still be here building catapults and doing RV and Jeep road prep stuff, and then its a boondocking vacation for a couple of weeks where I can have more time to post.  My plan was to go to Tonto National Forest...Patti wants to check out Sedona, which means that is probably where we go...lol!

Be patient my friends...it will get more interesting soon!  No matter where we end up!

Kev

Looks like Patti won out on destination. :angel: I'm sure the lack of posts is that Kevin is out of Internet range.  i?? Surely he isn't having so much fun exploring the wonders of nature that he has pushed us aside.  However, Kevin "withdrawal" is a serious condition that could require rehab or counseling.   :'( Come on, Kevin, give us an update and maybe some pictures.  At least post some pictures to your Photobucket account. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Dan!  Pictures will have to wait, since our internet connection here is spotty and slow at best.  The Pine Flat camp host said we are lucky that we are using Verizon, since its the only service that works at all out here.  We are taking a lot of pictures though...its beautiful around here!

The day before yesterday Patti and I took a drive up to Flagstaff, and drove around checking out the town.  Pretty nice Alpine atmosphere, and lots of gun shops to explore...lol!  In fact, at the last gun shop we stopped in Patti noticed me drooling over a Cobra Firearms .38 Special over and under derringer with a brushed nickel finish and nice walnut grips.  Only 150 bucks new, but I wasn't about to buy it on vacation...but she bought it for me...SWEET!  I can't wait to fire it at the gun range in Oklahoma.  Definitely an extreme close quarters kind of gun, but looks like fun to shoot! 

We also walked around the Flagstaff Mall, and stopped in a Visionworks that was having a big glasses sale.  I haven't had an eye exam in 6 years and my glasses are pretty scratched up by now, so the exam was cheap (my eyes haven't changed much in 6 years thankfully), and a pair of Aviator type frames with yellow polycarbonite lenses was pretty cheap as well and they made them on the spot.  They can't do glass lenses there, so I got the one pair...which will make great shooting and driving glasses...and will wait until Muskogee or New York and drop off my frames that I have to be fit with new glass photogrey lenses in my current perscription.

Yesterday we went to Sedona and walked around the town all day.  I think even the restaurants try to sell you time shares...geesh!  A lot of touristy crap, but the food was good at the Cowboy Lounge...I think that was what its called anyways...we have pictures.

The views in Sedona are incredible, and we got a lot of free maps to get to the so called Vortexes today, and some Indian ruins with petroglyphs.  Dirt roads to most of them, but we have a Jeep! 

So that is today's plan...we are loading up the pups and a picnic lunch, and going on a Jeep adventure!  The plan is to drive to all 4 vortexes today, but we'll see how much time we have.

Pine Flat campground is spectacular.  The towering cliffs with their spires on either side of us, the trout brook bubbling outside the RV, the swaying Ponderosa Pines rising above, and the nest of Bald Eagles in the heights sure make this one of the prettiest places we've been so far!

And amazingly, even with the limited sunlight through the trees and the abreviated daylight from the cliffs, the solar power system is keeping up with out demands.  2 nights in a row we have brought the batteries down to 12.4 volts, and by the end of the day they have been fully charged.  SWEET!

Okay folks.  Time to feed the pups their breakfast, take the rear seat out of the Jeep so they'll be comfy in the back, and then off we go in search of the mysterious vortexes and Indian ruins!

Kev

HandyDan

Oh, What a relief.  Thanks for the update.  I can skip rehab today!  You know we are right there with you looking over your shoulder.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

We had a great time with the pups yesterday...although my Jeep is now FULL of dog hair...lol!  We drove the Jeep out to the first vortex off of Dry Creek road, and hiked as far as the Cochino Woman...where Sheba made it clear she had had enough of climbing and hiking up the steep trails...lol!  So we hiked back down and had a picnic lunch with the pups, who were delighted to get an extra meal.  Then we drove the Jeep out to the local native american petroglyphs and cliff dwellings...and long rough dirt road, but hey, we have a Jeep YJ!  Got out there, and found out pets aren't allowed.  The cliff dwelling side was already closed for the day, but the petroglyphs were still open, so Patti and I left the pups in the Jeep and checked them out...it was a short hike.  Then we drove to another of the so called vortexes on Airport Road and hiked up with the dogs...a load of bunk if you ask me, but the view was spectacular and many pictures were taken!  Then it was back to camp.  By the time we got home, the dogs were too pooped to poop!  Talk about sleeping dogs...lol!  Today we are taking them up to Slide Rock State Park...another picnic too.  They are loving all the extra puppy play time! 

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Yesterday ended up being a rest day for both Patti and Sheba...and today we were supposed to go to Slide Rock State Park...which also didn't happen.  Today ended up being a "fix it" day!  First I decided to fill the freshwater tank from a 3.5 gallon bucket hauled from the nearest faucet...which is powered by fresh spring water.  63 gallons later, it was full.  While this was going on, I decided to fire up the genny and fully charge the batteries, which have been down to around 12.1 volts in the morning lately and not fully charging in the bad sun...not bad for the first time running the genny, surrounded by cliffs and under the shade, in 6 days!  So in between filling...waiting for the water pump to transfer the water from the bucket to our holding tank...I worked on the genny.  Wanted to start, but wouldn't stay running.  Adjusted it to our current altitude and turned the spring loaded bowl screw in, and got it running fine.  Tested the volts before plugging in the RV, and it was at 168 volts!  Idle too high.  Adjusted it down to 124 volts, the lowest it would go.  Plugged in the converter and let the batteries charge...and found the Boondocker converter wasn't working.  Got it to work after fiddling with it and unplugging it several times.  Charging at 13.2 volts...good.  Cabinet door broke going to the power compartment...glue and bungee cords repaired it, so now its drying to be reinstalled in the morning.  Late afternoon when all was said and done, and leaving before noon tomorrow.  Batteries fully charged now at least, and everything working the way it should.

A quick packdown of the Jeep in the morning, and then Patti is going to drive it up the steep switchbacks while I follow in the rig.  We'll hook up at the top of the mountain, then its smooth sailing after that.

Next stop, Meteor Crater!

Kev

Toby Tyler

I got to see meteor crater when I was in high school. Pretty neat. Have fun, it is fun for me to follow along with your adventures!

ClydesdaleKevin

Coffee is almost done, then its time for the packdown.  I have to reinstall the repaired cabinet door as well, but that will only take a minute.

I'm a little nervous about driving up the steep switchbacks, but at least I won't be towing the Jeep up them.  Over 1000 feet of gain in less than 3 miles...oi vey!  And tight windee switchbacks overlooking deep gorges.  If the rig makes it up them with no problems, I won't be afraid to take the rig almost anywhere after this!

After that its another 9 miles or so until we pick up I-17 North to Flagstaff, and mile or so after that to pick up I-40 East, and then less than 60 miles after that to Winslow, AZ to the nearest Flying J to fill up the gas and dump the grey water.  It also happens to be the same exit for Meteor Crater.

We are going to bite the bullet and stay in the Meteor Crater RV Park with full hookups for a couple of days, only because its right there and convenient.  There aren't any state parks or national forests close enough otherwise.

After a day or so there, its off to see the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert.  Going to probably stay at another RV park, since there isn't any RV camping at either state park.  Ah well...thems the breaks!

I want to be all settled into camp before 6pm tonight...going to try to snipe some full soft doors for our Jeep on eBay, and the auction ends around then.

Alrighty then!  Time to get started on the packdown!

Kev

ibdilbert01

QuoteIf the rig makes it up them with no problems, I won't be afraid to take the rig almost anywhere after this!

It'll make it!!!   When going up hills in my 72 I use to play Puff n Toot on the radio....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgOx8w_3Bzw

Going back down the hills trying not to burn up your brakes is way more fun than going up!!!    Hm?
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Froggy1936

Keep a close eye on the temp If you have to run in the lower gears They tend to heat up fast with slow air circulation thru the rad & Trans temp also   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

The big mountain switch backs were a piece of cake!  Patti left before me to meet me at the top in the Jeep...she's afraid of heights and just wanted to get it over with as soon as possible without being stuck behind me...lol!

As soon as I hit the base of the climb I hit the switch on my dash to power on the radiator fans and transmission cooling fans, put the transmission in 1st gear, and rode up the whole way in 1st going 15 mph tops.  Could have went faster, but didn't even have to open up the secondaries in first, and the road is super narrow and the turns sharp!  Made it to the top no problem, engine temp never hotter than 190, transmission temp never hotter than 170...SWEET!

At the top, I passed Patti pulled over, and drove on to a pull-off a couple miles down the road, and hooked up the Jeep.  Then drove with Patti all the way to Flagstaff on 89A, then picked up 17 North, then 40 West...and onwards towards Winslow, AZ and the Meteor Crater. 

That is when we got hit with the biggest gust of wind I have ever encountered, driving 55!  It almost knocked me off the road completely!  Never experienced anything like it.  Slowed down to 40mph!

40mph all the way to Exit 255 and the Flying J, where we fueled up and dumped the grey tank.

A quick backtrack to Exit 253 and the Walmart and we bought some groceries, etc.

Then we backtracked to Exit 233, again 40mph all the way, where the Meteor Crater and the RV park is.

And thus we are safely moored in the RV park, wind rocking the rig, and Patti quite happy that we get channel ABC here so she can watch her favorite show, Once Upon A Time, tonight.

Going to rest the rest of the night, then check out the Crater and museum tomorrow, then hit the road the next day to check out the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest and stay in an RV park near there...over 45 miles away, which is too far to leave the pups for adventuring.

Okay...gotta go!  Have to get back to eBay to score my soft doors for the Jeep YJ!  Going off soon!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Score!  I was hoping to pay less, but got them for 60 bucks less than my maximum bid I was willing to pay (300 bucks).  240 was a very fair price to pay for me to have lightweight doors in the back that I can put on in a pinch if Patti is cold or doesn't want her hair messed up if the hardtop is off and all we are running is the bimini top...or if it starts raining like heck and its windy.  Still have to get the so called "windbreaker" from Smittybilt or the so called "windjammer" from Bestop to seal of the passenger compartment in a pinch, and will probably get the hardware and cover for the rear bed as well, but one thing at a time as we have money for it.  Debt free here, and plan to stay that way.

About the wind gust that hit us on the way here...OMFG!!!  Scary!  My heart leaped into my throat, I'll tell ya!  Glad both hands were on the wheel when it hit!  For just a fraction of a second, I thought I was losing control of the RV!  Foot off the accelerator, tight grip, speed down, and all was well...but it was dodgy for a few seconds!

Going to check out the Meteor Crater tomorrow and the museum, then we are off to Holbrook, AZ to check out the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert...3 RV parks there including a KOA, and no state park or national forest camping or BLM lands...Teddy Roosevelt would be rolling in his grave!

Then its a mere 900+ miles of meandering traveling to Muskogee, OK down I-40.  Gonna try to find some neat things to see along the way!

Kev

moonlitcoyote

Glad you kept control in the gust of wind, that was how I felt when I went over that bridge in the sky on the way to Georgia.

Your trip in the West makes me miss home :( We really miss the BLM lands, you cant camp any cheaper than free. lol