Need replacement turn signal/wiper control lever

Started by big99diesel, April 03, 2013, 06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

big99diesel

I just recently did some trading and ended up with a 1989 Winnebago super chief (Chevy). There is a few things that are wrong with it but all n all pretty good shape. My question is the turn signal lever is broken, which also controls the brights and wiper. Will a normal Chevy lever from the 80's early 90's work in its place?

doylexl

The turn signal switch should be a chevy part so you should be able to find that at a Napa or most part stores, just have them look for a 1 ton truck or dually. The water heater could possibly be repaired. Sometimes you can find parts on ebay.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

DonD

Even my '66 C30/chassis mount needed a new TS assy! It's a Chevy thang  :-[
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

ClydesdaleKevin

You are lucky its a Winnebago and not a Holiday Rambler of a similar year with cruise control.  The turn signal lever assembly on ours is a Holiday Rambler only proprietary part, and not made anymore.  It houses the dimmer switch, the cruise control switches, the washer switch, and even the wiper switch with delay.  The turn signal switch itself is in the column, a standard GM part, although it looks like HRC modified mine so that the proprietary lever bolts on instead of screwing in.

Oh, and congrats on getting the Winnie in a trade!  Darn fine rigs, and I'm a big fan of the P30 chassis.  Welcome to the group!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Espiritus

Yeah, I ran into this issue the first time I drove it (which was just the other day), and discovered the turn signal was sorta "stuck" inside the sleeve of the cruise control, and was broken. Was thinking/wondering if it could be JB Welded when I found out it was non-replaceable.

Any thought on it?

My other option is the old "Kentucky cure all". . . DUCT TAPE.

High humidity so still watching the paint dry.

engineer bill

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on April 05, 2013, 07:12 PM
You are lucky its a Winnebago and not a Holiday Rambler of a similar year with cruise control.  The turn signal lever assembly on ours is a Holiday Rambler only proprietary part, and not made anymore.  It houses the dimmer switch, the cruise control switches, the washer switch, and even the wiper switch with delay.  The turn signal switch itself is in the column, a standard GM part, although it looks like HRC modified mine so that the proprietary lever bolts on instead of screwing in.

Oh, and congrats on getting the Winnie in a trade!  Darn fine rigs, and I'm a big fan of the P30 chassis.  Welcome to the group!

Kev

Any body know the source and part number of the turn signal lever assembly referred to in the quote above? Could not find it at "stepvanparts.com" (BTW great resource.)

My lever is also screwed down into the turn switch and appears to include the all the functions listed above-turn signal/hi-low dimmer ?/cruise control/wiper-washer-delay. All the functions except the turn signal and possibly the dimmer switch appear to be external to the steering column-the wires come down the outside of the [/size]column  I don't know how this stick got on my 1989 Winne Warrior but it sounds like the one I've been looking high and low for. Thanks in advance.
"on the road again, I just can't wait to get on the road again..."
thanks to Willie Nelson

pvoth1111

This post appears to state the same  problem I am  having locating a replacement for my lever....I contacted those step van folks with a pic of mine ( see my post ) and they said what they show they got....I did ask if they could help further and they did not respond.....I still cant believe I cant find a part for a Chevy... it seems unlikely there are not 100's if not more laying on a shelf some where.....still looking when I had time.
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

engineer bill

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on April 05, 2013, 07:12 PMThe turn signal lever assembly on ours is a Holiday Rambler only proprietary part, and not made anymore.  It houses the dimmer switch, the cruise control switches, the washer switch, and even the wiper switch with delay.  The turn signal switch itself is in the column, a standard GM part.

It sounds like my 1989 Winnebago Warrior 22EC has this same hard to find part. I've looked and looked for it. The key thing is that it has all the functions listed above, and, it screws onto the turn signal switch inside the column. (All of these switches: wiper/wiper delay/washer/cruise control are wired down a small harness on the outside of the steering column. The lever itself screws into the turn switch/hi-low switch inside the column.)
thanks to Willie Nelson

engineer bill

I guess this means that I could buy that easy to find basic lever that will operate the turn signal/hi-low beam switch. Also buy that other easy to find multi-function lever that incorporates all the other switches. Cut the multi-function portion of the lever off the useless splined connection and then I could somehow attach the switch portion of it in an easily accessible location somehow, somewhere else on the steering column.

Maybe some kind of bracket drilled for the cut off switch lever and epoxy or somehow clamp the lever in.

Another approach I'm considering, is to build and install a small switch panel, to be mounted in the web of the steering wheel itself. Still thinking about this but I'll make some sketches and post them up here.

I'm open to other ideas. I know I'm not the only one with this problem.
thanks to Willie Nelson

Rickf1985

When I had my shop I used to convert the controls over to handicap controls for three of my handicap customers whenever they got a new car. Throttle and brake were a lever on the left side of the column and the high beam switch was just a two way switch mounted on the lever. That way brake, gas, high beam and turn were all at the fingertips of the left hand. Once the newer cars came out with the high beam on the turn signal stalk I eliminated the switch and they just used the turn signal like everyone else. I see no reason why you could not wire in a switch for the high beams though, all you would need for the GM style is a momentary switch to activate the relay. I would have to have a diagram in front of me to describe the circuits though. I figure Dave will be all over this one, want a challenge Dave?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Being an old timer, Dave can live with a headlight switch in the dash, wiper/washer control in the dash, and foot operated Hi/Low switch.  Simple stuff that rarely breaks.  Cruise control turn signal stalks are a dime a dozen.  Comes down to, are you willing to go old school or do you have to stick with all the fancy stuff that breaks?

Dave
[move][/move]

TerryH

Memory Lane is great.
Headlight switch on the dash was a two-stage pull switch. First stage - "parking lights" - second - headlights.
Wiper switch on dash, one speed because........wiper motor was vacuum! At idle almost no wipers. At driving speed better.
Windshield washer operated by rain,dandruff, fog, mist, or pull over and wash it by hand.
Hi - lo beam was an almost bullet proof foot switch. Only common problem was a piece of gravel rolling under it preventing it from being pushed down.
Cruise control was your right foot.
Always fun to age oneself.
Have to go - need to look something up in the Encyclopedia! :) :) :) :)
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

You forgot to mention vacuum wipers going up a long hill. W%

TerryH

Yeah I forgot that one. Especially at night. Roll down the window and stick your head out. Kept you awake and washed your hair at the same time.
T
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

:)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

engineer bill

Finally found this replacement for the factory cruise control lever: from the Cruise Control Store (where else?) the 250-3020 and the MR-20. Kind of pricy at about $90 but whatcha gonna do?

Note that it does not include the wiper controls, but I've been happy with them relocated to the dash board.
thanks to Willie Nelson

engineer bill

I just found some more info from my Cruise Control file:
thanks to Willie Nelson

Rickf1985

Good info Bill, I am going to print that out and put it in my folder with all my other paperwork. Yea, I am one of those old fashioned guys that saves stuff on paper. W%