Need bolt-on performance upgrades for 318

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 20, 2008, 12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 12/14/2004 1:53 PM

Ive got a 72 Brave with what I think is a 318 (distributor in the back)
Is there anything I can do as a bolt on to increase performance?
I just got the mh and I am going over everything. It's a great runner right now but it feels like the timing is way off. I also noticed it has a single barrel carb, what can I replace that with?
I really just need to tow a 15' classic boat around.

thanks

Sent: 12/14/2004 4:24 PM

Are you sure it's not a 2 bbl. carb? I think that's what the came standard with.
brian

Sent: 12/14/2004 8:31 PM

I just see one barrel,
I'll try and post some pix

Sent: 12/14/2004 8:57 PM

I would suggest an Edelbrock Performer 650cfm carb and linkage adapters.  You don't want any larger than that.  You can maximize the whole thing with the matching Performer intake as well (if you don't mind spending around $500).  I have that combo on the Pharaoh (750 cfm for my 440) and the power increase was auite substantial.  I also noticed that my engine temp cools very quickly now as well.  I towed a 17' boat w/70 hp outboard with it and the extra weight was hardly noticeable.  The results should be comparable for you.  But, just the carb alone should add a significant kick-in-the... power.  All depends on how much of a WinnieFanatic you are and how much green you are willing to part with to feed the frenzy!

Please correct me if I'm wrong guys... a 318 would have the spark plugs above the exhaust manifolds as well.

Check the Resources for Summit and JEGs... the prices are generally the best and shipping is very quick.  Their tele-support guys are great too if you have questions or need additional info. 

You may benefit from headers on that engine too, without a lot of the hassles associated with the layout and space restrictions of the big blocks.  But.... you need ones specifically for off-idle to 5,000 rpm.  That's a matter of individual preference.  You'll get tons of the pros & cons on headers using the message search.  Make heat shielding a priority if you decide to use them.

A lower restriction air cleaner would be in order as well.  You can get chrome ones for about $20.

For good measure, I put in an MSD Blaster 2 coil.  It raises the stock voltage by 15,000.  The MSD 6A ignition system has been used and creates multiple sparks rather than one in the firing stage but, the actual benefit for the cost has been questionable from members' testimony.

I also installed MSD Super Conductor wires to get all that good voltage to the NGK plugs.  They have very, very low restistance and I haven't noticed any affect on stereo reception.  The plug boots are also bendable so you can direct the wires as you see fit.  This was a big plus on my 440 since it allowed me to route the wires away from heat sources better.

- Sob

Sent: 12/15/2004 8:43 AM

I believe the carb is still considered a two barrel , even though it looks like only one . I would start by doing a major tune up on the engine ( plugs , wires , cap rotor , Ect .) Use quality parts that meet OEM specs . not discount products , especially the plug wires you have to assemble or cut ( one size doesn't fit all). I used a brand called Standard - OEM Plus They are much heavier than the aftermarket stuff that the PO installed . They fit nicely too, and cost about half of what Crysler wanted for their OEM set .
Also check the fuel system and vacume system for deterioated hoses . When running properrly you might find you have all the power you need .
If yoiu still lack power and insist on prerformance upgrades , keep in mind these are a heavy service truck engine . built much different than the car engines annd won't benifit from aftermarket preformance stuff made for the car engines , you need to get the parts for the proper RPM and torque range .  Sea Hag