Spare tire key

Started by talon59, March 28, 2013, 09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talon59

I need info regarding the spare tire compartment key on my 88 superchief. I have one key which opens all my outside compartments except for the aft spare tire compartment. I would figure that compartment to open with the same key also. Is there another key or do i have an issue with the lock mechanism?

Froggy1936

As Wif awll spware twires , Thre wis awaweys a spware kwey for the wupercheif Frank  :)rotflmao                             Added 1/3/15 This was a lot funnier before they corrected his model error Wich he listed as a Wuperchief  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Thats one question you will most likely have to direct at Winnebago themselves.

Dave
[move][/move]

talon59

I guess i should put troy from winnebago on speed dial! Thanks for the input. :(

talon59

Just wanted to finish up this issue by saying after speaking to winnie i was told that one key should open all compartments including spare tire. I suppose po may have replaced the cylinder and didn't give me the key? Any way, i guess it's time for for the big a $@!#@! screw driver and another new cylinder.

Gary Eddy

Those locks are pretty easy to "pick". You might give it a try with a $10 kit from a hardware store.
Gary Eddy
Fulltime Firefighter
St Paul MN

talon59

I suppose maybe i should attempt the lock pick option prior to my natural remedy which would be to tear something up when it doesn't cooperate. Off to the hardware i go. Thanks  :)clap

MotorPro

Try shooting wd 40 into the lock before you destroy it. Half my compartments seemed like I had the wrong key. One shot and they opened like new.

talon59

Good morning pro, I was actually gonna shoot some of that graphite stuff in there this morning after returning from my friendly ace hardware man.Thanks for the input.

enigma960080

If you have not already destroyed the  lock... My 89 SC  Spare tire lock  had a bit of an attitude and required  pressure  in various  locations  of the cover  to release the  lock  lever from binding....   and  a healthy shot of (insert lubrication preference here)  with  make things a little  easier in the future.     My experience  is  whatever  force  needed to unlock the  rear cover,  locking it back  takes  twice as much force!  Cheesy
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

bluekayak

I have only had my 1990 Elandan a few days and one of the first things I did was sort out the keys. It has a separate key just for the spare tire compartment. I have one key that opens up every other outside compartment including access to adding water to the storage tank and the gas door. There are two different keys for the main entry door. One of them is the deadbolt key that does not seem to do anything else.

I have not found a key that opens up my driver's side and passenger side front doors. The regular door lock key (not for the deadbolt) can lock these doors, but it does not unlock them, at least not if they have been locked from the inside. Tomorrow I'm going to check and see if they open the doors if they were used to first lock them from the outside.

Jerry

lemortede

Quote from: enigma960080 on January 02, 2015, 11:12 PM
If you have not already destroyed the  lock... My 89 SC  Spare tire lock  had a bit of an attitude and required  pressure  in various  locations  of the cover  to release the  lock  lever from binding....   and  a healthy shot of (insert lubrication preference here)  with  make things a little  easier in the future.     My experience  is  whatever  force  needed to unlock the  rear cover,  locking it back  takes  twice as much force!  Cheesy

My 88 has the same attitude problem. I have to apply pressure to the right place to get the lock cylinder to turn. The sides turn opposite directions too.