Brake Buddy help

Started by moonlitcoyote, February 27, 2013, 08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

So since I am going to tow a vehicle that is much larger and heavier than my previous toad, I figure I need a brake buddy. So my first and answer needed super quick, is there a certain kind/type/model of brake buddy I need? I just found one on ebay for 335 but the bidding ends in 2 days so if it will work for me, I want to hop into the bidding.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/251234292166

My next question,  How in the world does it work? I see that it attaches to your toads brake pedal but from there I dont know what happens.

MJ

ClydesdaleKevin

How big a vehicle?  Less than 6000 lbs, don't bother....although some states require it for tow vehicles over 5000 lbs.

We sold ours on eBay when I got the Wrangler...lol!

Anyhow, my personal opinion is to look for an older metal cased Brake Buddy.  You can usually get them way cheaper than the new model plastic body ones, and they are fail safe.  The old ones use a pendulum that swings forward and actuates the piston to brake the tow vehicle when you hit your RV brakes.  Very simple system that works well.  The NEW ones are computer controlled with a gyroscopic sensor...they work no better than the old ones, and are way more problematic with more stuff that can go wrong.  Just my opinion as an engineer who still adheres to the basic engineering principle that simpler is always better...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

moonlitcoyote

Thanks Kevin, I'm not sure on the weight of my toad, its a jeep grand cherokee laredo. I really think I need one though as it seems the winny brakes have all they can handle without the extra weight. I wouldnt mind getting an older one but I have 2 weeks max to get one and I would have no idea what I am looking for when it comes to an old one. I just remember someone mentioning a "brake buddy' so I typed it into google and that was what I came up with.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Virginia requires brake assist for any towed vehicle or trailer over 3000 lbs.  Didfferent requirements for each state.

http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

The new ones are okay, and any of them will work with a Grand Cherokee.  I was just suggesting the old style ones, just a tan square metal box, since they work just as well, last forever, and tend to be a lot cheaper on eBay than the new complicated ones.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

moonlitcoyote

Thank you Dave, that was an informative video.

I will check e-bay for a tan box looking one before I bid on the other one. I just need to make sure I can get one in time before we move on to Alabama.

ibdilbert01

Also make sure your laredo is flat towabale, some of them were not flat towable depending on the 4wd system you have.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

moonlitcoyote

We got the brake buddy the day before we had to leave. Got it figured out and basically hooked up, not quite the way it should be but close enough for a short trip. BUT then we couldnt use it because when loading everything into the Jeep the interior lights stayed on and killed my battery enough that the brake buddy wouldnt work.

I have another question though, what keeps the steering wheel from locking up while towing? Am I supposed to leave the key on?

HandyDan

Kevin, you said you sold your Brake Buddy after you got the Wrangler.  Could I ask why?  Was it too much of a hassle, didn't work well, took up too much space, or did you replace it with something better?  Just curious.

Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

Yes, key on.  Toad manual tranny in nuetral (4 wheel disengaged).  If automatic, then make sure it can be pulled 4 wheels down.

Change out (or add a 2nd) trailer light plug so that you can wire in a charger wire to the battery.  That way your RV alternator keeps the toad battery charged while driving.  Use a diode in the charger wire so the current only flows to the taod battery.  Also insert a fuse at each end of the wire.

Dave
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

On the key i dont think you have to leave it on Just turn it on then back off but leave it in the ign switch (check to make sure steering wheel still turns) I think the steering lock only engauges when you pull the key out of the swich If you have a remote door lock option you can manually lock the doors even with the key in the ign  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Okay, key definitely on...not so the dash lights come on, but not off either.  You want your steering lock to be disengaged.  If not sure of the position, turn your steering wheel both ways a few times, and a good distance, to make sure the steering lock disengages. 

Dan...got rid of the Brake Buddy mostly because it was a pain in the butt to use in a 92 Jeep Wrangler YJ and really wasn't necessary.  The shape of the floor pan on a YJ means you have to use blocks of wood of different shapes just to get the Brake Buddy to sit level on the floor...and then the seat is too high and the rails are a funny shape, so you have to put blocks of wood behind it, with spacer wood so it doesn't hit the seat adjustment bar and push the seat back instead of the brake pedal...lol!  And the pedal cluster on a YJ makes it difficult to hook up the pedal clamp without it binding...I figured out how to do it, but it was way more troublesome than it was worth.

All that combined with the fact that the 92 YJ is so light and I don't even feel it behind the motorhome, not even when braking down steep mountains, led me to decide to 86 it altogether.  I left the Breakaway switch in place, and still hook up the cable to satiate a random visual inspection by any police officers driving by...especially if I don't know the laws in that state...lol!

Kev