Considerations for using RV during winter

Started by Detect15, November 09, 2008, 09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Detect15

Sent: 10/26/2003 7:58 AM

Hello all, thanks for your previous replies on this great message board.  It's really an asset for all first time RVers, like myself.

We live in northern NJ and would like to do some camping during winter months.  I purchased our 78 Winnebago Brave this summer, but can't seem to find any information about using it in cold weather.  I believe some campgrounds around here offer off-season sites with electrical hook-ups, although I haven't called any yet.  I already winterized the plumbing system with RV antifreeze by pumping it through the lines and faucets, and pouring some in the drains and holding tanks.

I have seen holding tank warming pads 110v for sale, but I'm not sure if we need these if hooked up to electric at a campsite.  I plan to bring along a small electric heater to heat the coach while hooked up.  If I keep the coach warm with this, are warming pads necessary?

I was also wondering about sink and toilet use in the cold.  If I keep some RV antifreeze in the holding tanks, would this prevent any freezing in the tanks?  I'm sure  campsites don't offer any water hook-ups in winter, if this is the case, can I fill the fresh water holding tank, and use that since the tank is inside the coach under the sink?

We only plan to travel about 50 miles at the most to a campsite this winter, and only go for a 2 or 3 night trip at a time.  Also, my gen-set is on the fritz, so I would be using 110v and batts only.

Before I flush the antifreeze out of the system, and we head on our merry way, I look forward to any inpute and advice about RV-ing in cold weather.  We look forward to sitting next to a campfire on a cold night, but not if this isn't feasable for the RV.  After the recent purchase and the great times in the summer with it, I would hate to have to park it all winter and wait for warm weather!

Thanks for your anticipated replies.

Earl         

jhuey

Sent: 10/26/2003 9:01 AM

You can use your RV in the winter. You have already identified some of the issues that might cause problems. I know anything below freezing could damage piping systems. The waste holding tanks themselves unless topped off or more than 3/4 full (gives the liquid some place to grow when frozen) if the tanks are in good condition shouldn't be a problem (I live in northern Michigan and have left small amount of waste in the tanks over the winter with no problem). The problem is what to do with the frozen waste, that's where the heating pads come in, so you can dump it. RV anti freeze only works at full strength so relying on it to keep the holding tanks thawed may not work (a couple of scoops of rock salt helps lossen things up too).

If the inside of the RV is kept warm the pipes of the water system should be ok. I would check to see if any runs of piping are out of the heated area and wrap them in insulation. Of course you would have to winterize after each trip. We use ours year round and we bring water in a 5 gal containers (fits nicely in bathroom) for cooking etc. It's kind of roughing it but I don't have to redo the winterizing again and get to enjoy the camping and snowmobiling.

If the campgrounds are open year round they should have full hookups and bathrooms/showers, keeping your plumbing winterized.

If the temps are not sub zero (-15 or more) and it's not much below freezing I don't see any problems at all. You should only worry when it's really cold.
Make sure your heater is working and have a back-up just in case.
Joe

Sea Hag

Sent: 10/26/2003 12:02 PM

I live in Northern Illinois and plan to use my my chiftain this winter - I'm going to leave the fresh water system winterized and use colapsibe water Jugs They have spouts on them and a couple of 5 Gallon containers Kept in the shower - I use a mix of RV anti Freeze and water depending on temp in a gallon Jug - to flush and fill the toilet and keep the tank from freezing . ( don't use Auto Anti freeze It contain toxins that treatment plants cannot remove . I use   rubbermaid tubs in the galley sink and dump them out side when done . I heat water on the stove . I shower with a solar shower hung in the bath filled with warm water If I take one at all . If your hooked up to sewer Leave the gray water tank open . But not the Blackwater tank It drains liquid but leaves solids behind , the owners manual says to dump Black water tank only When 1/2 full minimum . I use a Oil Filled radiator Type electric heater along with my furnace set at 60 degrees It draws less amps than my forced air ceramic type electric heater ,if you use an electic check the cord and recpticle to make sure they are not getting hot. If self containd remember your 12VDC batteries will not last as long in cold as warm weather . Souds like kind of roughing it but it beats a tent , and in the winter you usually have the place to yourself --- Sea Hag