- The Gear Box

* CWVRV News

NEW!  1978 Apollo 2600, 3000, 3300 Owner's Manual.  Check it out!

Author Topic: 1984 Winnebago Chieftain  (Read 2463 times)

Offline doylexl

• Year: 1985
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Chieftain 27
  • Chassis: Chevy
  • Engine: 454
1984 Winnebago Chieftain
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:04 PM »
Well I found a new project, it's a 1984 Winnebag Chieftain 27 with the 454 and I am making good progress. The previous owner told me that it had a bad timing chain with bent valves and so I went to take a look and other than the engine it was in very good condition. We made a deal and I had it towed 54 miles to my house and surprisingly I had it running in 3 hours ! The starter was a replacement and the copper bar that goes from the solenoid to the starter motor was missing an insulator , so the starter was shorted to ground. After making an insulator it started right up !!!!!

Offline emoney

• Year: 1984
  • Make: Fleetwood
  • Model: Southwind
Re: 1984 Winnebago Chieftain
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:38 PM »
Congrats to you :)ThmbUp .  Now, how about some pics? i??

Offline doylexl

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:41 AM »
I removed the bumper trailer hitch and fabricated and installed a reciever hitch, that way I can use a bike rack and or a cargo shelf that fits in the reciever hitch plus I think my reciever hitch will be stronger than the bumper hitch for pulling my boat. Also I had the generator running and found out one cylinder wasn't firing. So    I ran a compression test and the cylinder on the backside had zero psi. So I dropped the generator and pulled the cylinder head and found the exhaust valve was stuck open. The cylinder walls looked like new so I sprayed some penetrant and turned the valve and tapped a couple of times and it closed. So I put the head back on and installed the generator back in place and started the generator and it runs and idles much better now. I was shocked at how easy it was to r&r the generator, It only took two hours to troubleshoot and repair. It just proves that the generator needs to started and run from time to time.

PEntertainment

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:25 PM »
I guess I picked that screenname because I have an LLC called Paonia Entertainment. I formed it so that I could license songs for bands like a record label. I have been thinking about getting back into mobile DJing, it is so fun and lucrative. If I got a nice powerful yet compact PA, and some lights, I could be on the road DJing wherever gigs take me! I used to DJ a lot, I had  Digital DJ Productions in Southern California and DJed weddings, proms, and some very interesting (and a lot of boring) house parties - getting gigs out of the yellow pages it was fun!

Are you going to DJ mobile out of your new Chieftan, or is it to get away from it all and enjoy a quiet stay at the lake?

Offline doylexl

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 09:54 AM »
My wife has always been a great singer and she use to sing with a group, it never paid much so I started thinking maybe we should find a way for her to sing and entertain people and make some money. We started djing friends birthdays and wedding receptions and it has worked pretty good. Ours is called C&D Entertainment. My wife was an office mgr and was laid off two years ago so we just worked a little harder at djing. She hosts karaoke and we do a couple of parties a month and it pays the bills, she has taken an interest in photography so maybe she can make a few bucks with that.
 I have a regular job as a mobile forklift mechanic and I have owned 4 or 5 motorhome's in the past and I'm always watching craigslist and found this Winnebago. I had a popup but I wanted to be able to pull my boat so hopefully this summer we will go camping. I have 4 grand kids now and am looking forward to taking them camping.

Offline Oz

• "So let it be written; so let it be done!"
  • I own: a Motor Home
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 12:28 PM »
I've taken the photo resize, yadda-yadda posts and moved them to the "Forum Features' board, where site features and functions are discussed so they're not detracting from the actual project topic.

I made a couple, very pertinent replies to help you with the photo issue you should read.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7125.new.html#new
Previously enjoyed our '74 - D24 Indian & '74 - D24 Indian Custom

Offline doylexl

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 01:31 PM »
My progress report is As follows, I have driven the winnie locally. I drove it about 40 mile roundtrip to the muffler shop and I drove it to see a couple of my grandkids, another 40 mile roundtrip.

Insurance is 36.00 monthly with full coverage, since it older than 86 it does not require a title in Georgia. There is a form from the dmv called a t22b and the serial number has to be inspected and verified by law enforcement and that was done yesterday so next week I can get the tag.

I still have to fix the refrigerator, the roof a/c and the electric step and get a foam mattress for the overhead bunk, two plastic vent covers and a few other misc. Things. My father in law has an rv fridge that is the same size and the roof air needs a capacitor to help the blower fan start. The roof air works but you have to give the fan a spin and I think the capacitor will fix that.

The electric step was stuck so I ran power straight to the motor and got it freed up but it wont work on it's own. I can hear the relay click when I operate the door switch, evidently one of the three relays is not working. I am thinking about installing a separate switch that you push to open and close the step.

I will go to Ohco and get the foam and to Crown RV to get the vent covers. Evidently there are two different vent covers so you have to take a pic of the vent cover to make sure to get the right one.

I also need an awning assembly, I think it is odd that this Winnie never had an awning. I als fou.d out it has a 60 gallon fuel tank, so I am saving up for the first fill up.