Arizona, 2013

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, February 09, 2013, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Dan!  All is well on the Arizona Front.  Just been really busy building catapults and limiting my internet time to just mornings so I can spend quality time with Patti. 

Except for losing the awning in the wind storm, all it well!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

HandyDan

Thank Goodness you're back.  I've been reading the Apache Junction newspaper online looking to see if you were involved in some accident or lost in the woods.  Apparently, someone was!  I was ready to ask someone to go look for you.  Man, a whole week without Kevin is a week without sunshine.  Glad everything is fine and work is doing well.  I did see that your Faire had backed up traffic for 13 miles on President Day weekend.  I guess that would make your work a little busy. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

LJ-TJ

Well I don't know about the sun shine part. :laugh:

ClydesdaleKevin

Crazy busy over here, but there's only 2 weekends left, then we go on a month vacation before heading to Muskogee, OK for our next faire.  I'll be able to post daily on vacation!  Love you all!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Ahh, Muskogee, OK. Home of the chiggers and tornadoes right? - Dave :)
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep...chiggers. ticks, tornadoes, and lots of nice folks.  Didn't keep the awning down in Muskogee anyways in case we had to bug out for a tornado...we'll get an electric one in NY.  More Boondocking on the way!  Our next stop has been decided...Tonto National Forest for a couple weeks until heading to Muskogee...Grand Canyon on hold AGAIN...life happens!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Got all the trebuchets completely done today, and the ballistas only need to be strung.  Mousetrap pistols only need handles screwed on.  My worker will take care of all of it tomorrow while I get materials and do gunsmithing stuff, and post a bunch of stuff on eBay and Craigslist.

Kev

HandyDan

Out of curiosity, what length was your awning that went blowing in the wind?
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

18 feet.  I have it listed now on eBay and locally on Craigslist.  If it doesn't sell before we have to leave, into the dumpster it goes!

Going to be a busy day today and tomorrow!  Perfect weather in the 70s forecasted, so its going to rock!  Woohoo!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Sorry about my lack of posts and how boring they have been.  Very busy over here!  Last weekend of faire coming up, so I'll have more free time to post coming up shortly.  After this weekend, we'll still be here building catapults and doing RV and Jeep road prep stuff, and then its a boondocking vacation for a couple of weeks where I can have more time to post.  My plan was to go to Tonto National Forest...Patti wants to check out Sedona, which means that is probably where we go...lol!

Be patient my friends...it will get more interesting soon!  No matter where we end up!

Kev

jkilbert

I was beginning to think that you were abducted by aliens  :D
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

DonD

Sedona is beautiful. Bring money, tourist town :-) Wheel Chicken point, Sacred Pools too. Not challenging but nice.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteI was beginning to think that you were abducted by aliens

Me too.  You know how much them criters like marshmellows and Kevin produces mountains of them.   

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!  Last weekend coming up, and then its either Sedona, or Tonto National Forest for a couple of weeks before the Oklahoma faire campground opens.  It all depends if we can find a place to boondock on the cheap in Sedona or not.  Doesn't appear to be any BLM lands or national forests in the immediate vicinity, but there are a couple of state parks.  Gotta check to see what their camping fees are.  Its only 1.50 a day at Tonto.  On the other hand, the elevation is a lot higher in Sedona, so the weather would be a lot cooler and we wouldn't have to run the genny to run the air condition like we might have to in Tonto.  Which genny, by the way, I still haven't had time to get running yet!

Last big push today to build catapults.  Then breakdown and pack up next week, then a 2 week vacation, then Oklahoma!  WOW this faire went by quickly!

Kev

DonD

Be advised, in the actual summer Sedona gets very hot at times. You will still be in springtime it "should" stay cool.

Looky:

Boondocking near Sedona
Boondocking opportunities also abound in the Coconino National Forest located near Sedona.  If you are heading north on highway 89A towards Flagstaff there are several woodsy U.S. Forest Service roads on either side of the highway that allow disbursed camping.  You’ll probably want to visit the Coconino National Forest ranger station in Sedona to get some advice on which roads are the best for your rig because some of them are very bumpy. 

There is also a large plot of desert land south of Sedona that is designated for boondocking and is in an ideal location. You’ll want to head south on 89A towards Cottonwood. After the last traffic light on outskirts of town, drive about six miles. Turn right onto FR 525 and go about half of a mile. You will see a big sign on the left. The area past that sign is a disbursed camping area.

There are also several other locations around Sedona. It's a good idea to visit the ranger station for a recreation guide that includes a map and directions to all the free camping areas.
Don and Mary

DonD

Kev, if you are going to be near Sedona and need a genny, you are welcome to use my 5000w open frame Coleman. You have my email addy.

Out in the open it's not that loud. I find bulilding a simple soundwall from local stuff..rocks etc really helps too. if you've got a large gauge cord long enough set it way out in the boonies.
Don and Mary

DonD

Kev..where are you?    i??
Don and Mary

jkilbert

I'm still thinking that aliens got them.

Froggy1936

Mabey Mexican bandidos !!
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

HandyDan

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

The aliens are holding him for marshmellow ransom.
[move][/move]

Wantawinnie

Is he off the grid perhaps?  Hm?

HandyDan

Well, they aren't too far from Area 51.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

LMFAO!!!

We are still in Gold Canyon, AZ...about to leave on vacation Sunday morning.

Thanks Don for all that info.  I already downloaded the free camping map, and its extensive.  With Patti's Senior card, its free in almost all areas.

Today I changed the oil and filter on the RV, added 20 gallons of gas to the tank via a gas can, was going to the fix the genny but it started right up and ran fine for 20 minutes, topped off the power steering fluid which was a bit low, changed the compost in the toilet, filled the freshwater tank, washed the solar panels and turned them back on, washed the windshield, and of course stopped by and said farewell to my friends at my favorite gunshop.

We are going to leave on Sunday morning, hit the Flying J in Phoenix (dump the grey tanks, fill the propane, and gas up), then backtrack to I-17 North to Sedona.

We have the free camping map downloaded, and think we'll be okay.

So this leg of the adventure is almost done.  A new chapter is about to begin.

And I'll have a lot more time to post until our next faire starts in May, in Muskogee, OK!

I think I'll call the next chapter Spring Vacation Boondocking Adventure, 2013.

Gonna wrap this chapter up tomorrow.

Kev

jkilbert

And I was hoping for a good alien abduction story....... :)rotflmao