Arizona, 2013

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, February 09, 2013, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

And thus begins a new chapter! 

Its opening day at the Arizona Renaissance Festival! 

Pretty soon we'll be putting on our costumes and funny accents, opening our booth, and letting the marshmallows fly from our little catapults!

Looks like the weather has turned around for the better for us as well.  Now they are saying it will be cool today and tomorrow...in the high 50s...but no rain until Monday.  SWEET!

Off we go!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DonD

Break a leg..

Here's what I woke to up by SR69/I-17:

4000ft
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Don!  Looks like what we woke up to in Tombstone when I took the dogs out that snowy morning...by the time I took the pictures most of it was gone.

We had a decent opening day...actually probably our best at this faire, despite the cold windy weather and relatively light crowd.  Even with the low crowd, our location is much better now.

But DANG it was chilly with the constant wind we had today!  Low 50s...brrrrrr! 

Tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same.  I went out after faire today and got more marshmallows for tomorrow, and snack bags and paper bags...and dinner of course. 

I have to get up early tomorrow to rake up the marshmallows, then its back to the RV to get costumed up, then back to the booth. 

Monday I have to get up early and go get a couple of tools and wood, and then build a crap ton of 10 dollar catapults for our first student day on Tuesday.  Patti and our friend/employee Casey are going to work both student days while I build catapults, so we can have plenty of stock for the 3 day President's Day weekend.

By the end of the week, my goal is to have the workshop totally retooled and tented for as cheap as possible, and more than enough catapults built for the 3 day weekend.

Its going to be jumping through hoops, but I have learned that we can do anything we set our minds to...just gotta bust hump to do it.

Once the 3 day weekend is over, we can downshift a bit and have a day off a week, where I plan on doing fun stuff with Patti and more than likely drag her to the shooting range with me once a week...lol!

So Don...let me know if you plan on coming to the Faire!  I can get you free tickets!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

We had a pretty decent opening weekend all in all!  And today ended up being bright and sunny and WAY warmer than yesterday.

Tomorrow its up bright and early to rake the marshmallows up, then off to the gun shop to pick up my latest Ruger Security Six...and then off to Home Depot to pick up pine and poplar boards, an 8 inch Ryobi miter saw and Diablo blade and a bucket, lid, stain, and a sanding belt, then off to Walmart to pick up a cabin tent...then back to camp. 

Then set up the tent, run the boards through the table saw, cut out a crap ton of parts, drill them, sand them, assemble them, and get them all stained before I can call it quits for the day...gonna be a long day! 

Then on Tuesday, while Patti and Casey are working kids day, I'll drill even more parts and sand them and assemble them...then after kids day run out and get a router and router table and a compressor and hose...and possibly a thickness planer and get as much work done as I can before dark.

On Wednesday I'll have two helpers in the workshop, and we'll bust out what we can...and then on Thursday I'll be in the workshop solo again while Patti and Casey run that kids day.  Then more work with 2 helpers on Friday, another long day, to get as many catapults finished and stained before the 3 day weekend!

Its gonna be crazy!

Kev 

ClydesdaleKevin

Whew!  Finished the run of catapults for tomorrow's student day right around 9pm...and DANG its cold outside!  Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

After raking up the marshmallows, I drove down to my favorite gun shop and picked up the Ruger Security Six I had on layaway, then drove down to Home Depot and picked up the necessary tools and supplies, then back to camp...was about 1:30pm by the time I got back.

Then it was a lot of table saw work, a lot of chopping with the miter saw...and a LOT of drilling and sanding.  I finished sanding the last piece with a rechargeable work light...lol!  Then it was assembly in the warm house (the easy part), and then the staining.

While Patti and Casey work the student day tomorrow, I'll be drilling and sanding more parts...already cut out...so that I'll have another run ready for Thursday.  That will leave me Wednesday with my workers to get parts prepped out for the complex catapults that we'll need for the 3 day weekend.

Wow my back is sore!  Guess I got a little TOO much rest on vacation!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Kids days are over and the 3 day weekend is coming right up!  We did pretty well on the student days, and I built a lot of catapults while Patti and Casey ran the booth.  I have a LOT more to build today...I'm gonna break my own rule and get an early start...my neighbors are just going to have to understand when the saws fire up.  I usually won't use any loud power tools until after 10am, but I'll have to make an exception today.

So I'm off to take the pups out, then down to the booth to pick up a few catapults that need repairs, then back to camp to get going on the final build before the weekend. 

My weekworkers will be here at 10am, and I spent all day yesterday prepping out parts to keep them busy while I build trebuchets and ballistas.

Busy busy busy!!!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Good week workers this time around!  They finished all their stuff early enough to help me out finishing the bigger machines, and it was a pretty early night at 7pm...and that was everything stained and on the rack (so much it barely fit on the stain rack), all the tools put away, and everything tidied up!

Then a quick run to the market for marshmallows and bags and whatnot, and back to camp to feed the pups.

We are ready for the 3 day weekend...woohoo!!!  And they are predicting awesome 70 degree weather...a DOUBLE woohoo!!!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Wish us luck!  We have lots of stock and perfect weather...should be an awesome and prosperous weekend!

Kev

DonD

The w/e does look good, was 70 here yesterday. Looks like mid week issues coming up tho'. Make hay while the sun shines!!

Don and Mary

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Don!  Crappy weather around Wednesday, then clearing up to another great weekend next week.

Had an AWESOME day today!  If it keeps up the next 2 days, we'll be out of stock and I'll be working some late long hours next week!

Let me know if you want to come to the faire so I can arrange tickets for you and yours.

Tomorrow is going to be another awesome day!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Gotta go rake up the marshmallows and open up the booth for the girls, and then get back to camp, change into street clothes, and leave site before 9am to get materials for the week!  No vehicle access backstage at this faire after 9am, so when I get back I'll have to park in weekender parking and walk my materials back into camp.  Then change into costume, and join the girls!  One more day of this crazy 3 day weekend!  Then its back to business as usual...more crazy hours of building tons and tons of catapults...lol!

Kev

LJ-TJ

Picture's where's the pictures? Hm?

ClydesdaleKevin

Time to rake up the marshmallows, set up the workshop tent, and get to work!  We only have a handful of catapults left after this crazy week...oi vey!!!

The goal is to get everything cut out today, and maybe even get a jump on the drilling process.  Gonna be busy!

Kev

DaveVA78Chieftain

Have the girls take pics of you slaving away.   :laugh:
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Dave!  No pics of us working...too busy working to take pictures.

I got the workshop tent sent up and organized yesterday, as well as all the parts cut out for the Bandit and Twister catapults.  That will give my workers something to do today...LOTS of drilling and sanding!  While they are doing that, I'll be cutting out the parts for the mousetrap and torsion catapults and trebuchets...and hopefully have time to assemble the bodies on the torsions before it gets dark.

Supposed to be cold and rainy today!  I'll be doing all my cutting on the porch under the awning while the boys toil away in the workshop tent.  Lots and lots to do before the weekend!  And Patti has a doctor's appointment tomorrow, so I have to get a lot of prep work done today so the lads can keep busy in the shop tomorrow while I take Patti to her appointment.

Huge temperature drop!  Yesterday was in the 70s...only supposed to get into the mid 40s today...geesh!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Crazy freezing weather today...snow, sleet, and hail!  In Arizona...the lower elevations!

I decided to take advantage of the non cuttable weather...too windy and rainy to even cut anything on the porch under the awning.  So I had my workers drill and sand in the tent while Patti and I made the journey for a good usable router table since the one I had sucked more than words can say.

We returned the evil router table from hell, then tried Lowes and Home Depot, and finally decided on a slick one from Harbor Freight with ALL kinds of bells and whistles.

Took me ALL the rest of the day to assemble this Chinese made monstrosity.  Its an AWESOME router table, but ye gads man!  All day?

Gonna be a late couple of nights.  Behind schedule, have a doctors appointment with Patti tomorrow, and way more to do than I can fathom.

I'll get it done though...I always do!  Just gotta buck up and do a couple of early mornings and late nights.  Sorry neighbors!  Gotta start early and end late!  I hate to run the power tools during those hours, but its gotta get done!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

DANG I'm beat!  It was after 8pm when we finished everything...

Lots of stock for the weekend!  Patti is taking the weekend off...she had a procedure that will keep her home this weekend, so its just me and my employee Casey! 

Gotta get up early tomorrow!  Gotta shave and shower, set up the booth, bring all the stock to the booth, take care of the pups, and do it all in time to have a few cups of coffee...so I don't kill anyone...lol!

No breaks this weekend...gotta eat on the fly...good weather and lots of stock...we are gonna rock it out!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Decent day at the faire today!  Not the best, but good!  Other events around the Phoenix area slowed things down a bit, but we still pulled out decent numbers.

Poor little Patti's procedure...a cosmetic laser procedure...left her face all red and blotchy, with spots like a leopard for a while until it peels, or whatever...not sure I understand it or even want to...lol!  Girls are weird!  She's already getting sick of my Beam me up, Spotty jokes...hehehehe!

Anyhow, it was a solo day with me in the booth with our lovely employee Casey...it was fun and went by quick.

Just one more day, then its back to a normal crazy workload.

Gonna try to find time for the shooting range on Monday, dammit!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Decent weekend overall...even despite the cold as hell unexpected windy weather today...SWEET!

Lots of catapults to build this week.  And hopefully at least one trip to the gun range. 

My friend Jeff that owns my favorite gun shop came to the faire today with his family...it was nice seeing him out of the shop when he barely has time to talk...he puts in as many hours as I do...lol!

Kev

Bigjohnk99

Kev,
I'm always looking for a friendly gun shop.  Where does your friend Jeff conduct business?  I'm just outside Phoenix.

ClydesdaleKevin

AJI Sports in Apache Junction, right on the Old West Highway/Apache Trail.  Best gun shop around, lots of used (and new) guns, and great customer service.  Awesome prices too!

Now, time to take the pups out, give them breakfast, go rake the marshmallows, and go get all my materials for this week's run.  Looks like the shooting range is going to wait until tomorrow!

Kev

HandyDan

I really didn't have anything to say, but I wanted my Holiday Rambler parked with the other two.  Enjoy your warm weather, I'm getting ready for 15 more inches of snow on top of the 12 we still have on the ground.  Where is that damn rodent that said Spring was coming early this year??

The old girl won't be going anywhere for awhile.  This is the before picture.  I'll take another tomorrow after the blizzard.

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DonD

Quote from: HandyDan on February 25, 2013, 12:20 PM
  Where is that damn rodent that said Spring was coming early this year??
Al Gore is at home.   :P
Don and Mary

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!  Nice and warm here in Apache Junction, AZ today...huge contrast to yesterday's bitterly cold winds!

Got all my materials, bought a couple more speed loaders and some other shooting stuff, and am now waiting on two Ruger sights that I'm going to snipe at the last minute on eBay.

Tomorrow its a lot of cutting and drilling, and hopefully a trip to the gun range!  I really need to pick up a couple of .22s...ammo is getting bloody expensive, even for the .38 Special! 

Kev

Bigjohnk99

Good luck finding .22s.  They're getting hard to find