Engine Re-build on the 440

Started by 73WinnieIndian, February 02, 2013, 03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73WinnieIndian

Okay, so we have a huge box of parts in our room. Engine is getting bored out and should know if it is done tomorrow, then just paint and it is ready.

Ordering
Edelbrock Performer Intake EDL 1406

Summit Racing Carb + air cleaner pro pack

MSD Pro-billet ready to run distributors 8387

MSD 8.5 Super conductor spark plug wire set 32733

EDL Intake Manifold bolt kit 8594

We just got an engine stand local on craigslist for $50   All 4 wheels and heavy duty he used it for a huge marine engine. So happened to be a world title UFC fighter. Really nice guy.

I think this last order from summit and picking up the block and we should be ready to go on putting it all back together.

Upon reading the forums, we are thinking of going with the 750 cfm carb rather than the 800.

LJ-TJ

Sweet! Now your assignment should you take it on is lots and lots of pictures as you assemble it. I will be curious to see how she performs with all the new toys as I was thinking of the same thing only hadn't gotten around to spending the money yet. If you don't mind me asking? what did the new parts cost? Hm?

Froggy1936

Hey TJ Summit will send ya free catalog That will give ya all the prices and something to read for the rest of the winter Summitraceing.com   Frank  Stay warm ! 
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

Thanks Frank, Did I tell you Lauren and I went to Summit in Akron Ohio last year. Definitely a good place to stay out of especially if your looking to Hot Rod your Winnebago. The place is wild. D:oH!

Elandan2

I can't even imagine going to the store, the catalogue gets me in enough trouble.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

LJ-TJ

The place is huge. If ya take your time to look it can take hours. It can bring a grown man to tears. My biggest problem there was thinking back when I was a kid at Christmas and looking through the Sears Christmas Toy catalog and remembering I wanted that, and I wanted that and I wanted that and that. :'(

73WinnieIndian

LJ-TJ We are keeping a detailed list of parts and costs. We don't know the full cost yet.
I have taken pictures so far, but have to re-size them to go here.

Lots and Lots of Money! Put it this way, the kids are grown. We are done paying child support and have been saving money up.

We still have to pay the guy for the engine for cleaning the parts and boring.
Still have about 1,000 more in parts to buy from Summit Racing.

This is what I have
Subtotal So far

Motormounts
Peerless
Oil Pump Shaft
Peerless
tax
Peerless

Alternator
Pep Boys
core

Alternator Belt

Alternator Belt

Hose
Pep Boys
tax

Power steering pump
Torrance Auto Parts

Valve and springs
Don Gross

Radiator cleaned & flushed
Crandall Radiator

Competition Cam freight

FED Mogul Freight

Cam Shaft Kit
Don GrossCRB XE262H-10
Kit Components:

CK440 SIX PK KT
CONN. ROD BEARING SET

MAIN BEARING SET

CAM BEARING

FULL SET

CRHY-PASS IND:DOD-PASS & TRK:PLY

PISTON / RING SET USED

POWER FORGED PISTON

PUMP-OIL

CHRY BILLET TIMING SET

EXPANSION PLUG KIT

RAMBLER V6 & V8

VINTAGE PART/PISTON RING
Don GrossE424K 030-FE

Heat Paint Black
Lowes

Engine Stand
Craigslist

ClydesdaleKevin

I never think our old rigs are a waste of money.  For the most part, they are better engineered than the new ones.  And lets say you spend 10K on a complete restoration of your rig including an engine and transmission rebuild, etc.  Guess what?  You have an RV that is practically new, but with the coolness factor of being antique or vintage...and you don't have any RV payments! (Which on a brand new rig might as well be a mortgage...lol!)

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

And... if it lasted 30 years to this point... it'll last another 30.  Something I seriously doubt we could say about the newer RVs! 

RokOn!   
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

73WinnieIndian

Agreed!

We really looked hard for one that was pretty clean on the inside, just so we could focus our cash flow on the engine. Yeah, well not sure we will be driving it in 30 years. We can hope the kids will still take us out in it.

Yeah all the new stuff breaks really easy. The old stuff is built to last.

We Love this thing and that is all that matters to us. Some people blow big amounts of money on keeping up with the Jones. We aren't like that. We do what we want and what makes us happy.

I hear you on the house payment.

Love the coolness factor.  We haven't really been able to enjoy this one too much. When we got our last 73 Winnie, we laughed so hard going down the road, it is a cherished memory.

Soon enough we will be rolling down the road in this thing, laughing so hard at the bahhhhhhahaaaaaaa sounds as we bounce up and down going down the road.

73WinnieIndian

Oh, and our friend at Don Gross was giving us the wholesale prices.

Also, been working to save a bit of money where we can.

LJ-TJ

Sounds like you got it right. There just plain fun. As far as the engine go's you'll be able to take her any were any time any distance and not have to worry about here breaking down on you on the road. Congratulation. :)ThmbUp

73WinnieIndian

Well, that is the plan. 

We broke down before on a holiday weekend and even though we had AAA RV towing, at that time they only paid for the first hour...from the time the two truck left the tow yard. Mind you every trailer and motorhome is coming home from Glammis, Octotillo Wells, it was bad.

Then the tow truck driver punctured our radiator. Which AAA reimbursed us for the repair...well, part of it because it was old they said. Um yeah, but it was working just fine. 

This was how Winnie #1 got sold.

LJ-TJ

Well you will get sympathy here as most of us have had similar experiences. Most folks here are frugal and thrifty and really can't afford to have a mechanic look or work on their rigs any more so we've all in one way or another had to learn how to wrench on our own rigs. This site is excellent for that. I think it's because all of us are in the same boat when it comes to money so we share what we know and then get together and sit around a campfire and swap stories on how many busted knuckles we got on a project. I my case I spent 5 years and $20,000.00 restoring ours I was down to ordering a new wiring harness and she'd be done. Then off to the S.E.M.A.Car Show in Vegas and the Grand Canyon. She burnt to the ground two years ago due to a electrical fire. 

73WinnieIndian

Oh no.....that is horrible.  The electrical on our old RV was horrible, Wires twisted together all over it. Couldn't trace a line for nothing.

Well, my husband and his friend are doing the work. So we don't have a mechanic either. It is taking us a lot longer than we thought. He told me it would be expensive. So I saved up for it.

For use, we were so used to paying the ex-wife half of his pay check and got used to living at that level. So now we are still scrimping and putting the child support funds towards the RV.

I feel it is worth it. At least with this rig the PO put a lotta love into it and that was huge to us. Less we have to do. So we can spend money on the engine. We still have a big list of to do's but one thing at a time.

Luckily we are both pretty handy.

73WinnieIndian

Our motorhome is still sitting in our backyard and my husband has not finished it. Now I'm seeing the date an how long it has been.  I want this Done so we can go out and enjoy it. Sitting on the last few things to do. Part of the issue is his friend was helping him do it and then he had a new baby and ten they moved too far away to be able to come over to help.  The engine is rebuilt, but he is stuck on the Mallory ignition and I think the alternator. I'm calling a neighbor who is a retired mechanic and see if he can come over to trouble shoot this. Would be nice to take it out and actually use it. 

Sasquatch

Hope you get it going soon.  I want to hear how that engine pulls.

73WinnieIndian

Me too. This is one large obstacle in the yard right now and not useful.  Calling a local mechanic to see if he can help get it done. The previous owner did  great job getting most of the inside done and I want to replace the floor, but let's get it running already. Also have to replace the carpet in the front. We had that water leak. Got it fixed but the carpet got wet and funky. Saved the carpet to use as a template to cut the new carpet.