Short Radiator hose for the filler extension?

Started by PwrWgnWalt, January 10, 2013, 01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PwrWgnWalt

1977 Dodge M-500 chassis, with 440-3 engine

Been searching the site for info on where to get (or what to use in place of) the short radiator hose that connects the front outlet on top of the radiator to the radiator filler extension.  The parts book lists it as Mopar 3638-117 [except it lists p/n 2084-597 for 1972].

Mine is old and brittle; it leaks antifreeze/coolant when at operating temperature.

Not finding the part anywhere online, and not finding any references to alternatives for this, was considering finding a radiator hose of the same diameter and using just 4" (or whatever) of it.  I would take the filler extension and hose off the radiator, and take it to the store with me...

Any better ideas or experiences?

(will be ensuring the correct 440-3 thermostat is in the engine while the coolant level is down, too!)

Thanks!
Walt & Tina

ClydesdaleKevin

That sounds like the cheapest way to go, Walt.  Since you have to take it off anyway to replace it, just bring it with you to the auto parts shop and have them cut you a short piece of "by the foot" hose.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Lefty

I still have a Gates Master Catalog and Picture Reference from my old Napa days, it's a few yrs old but that shouldn't matter. If you can give me the I.D of each end, and a length, I probably can find a match. If you can take a good pic of it (preferably laying on a table with a tape measure next to it for size reference)that would be a tremendous help.

ps. That reminds me, I also have that same catalog in CD format... I could rip the .pdf file off it and get it put in our reference section

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Lefty

And.. here it is!!
Sadly, my memory wasn't perfect. The CD I had was "gates Coolant Hose Locator Guide/ Identification and Installation Guide 1986-2002 (2002 Edition)
It shows all the molded hoses used on vehicles, where they are on the engine, and what part number they are. Not what I originally thought, but still a handy reference to have.

anyways, heres a link to it.
http://www.4shared.com/office/dkejYpZl/GATES_MOLDED_HOSE.html
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Oz

There's also a link there on the right side-bar block in "Dave's Place".  It's also a listing of the belts and hoses.  Not sure how that relates to the info Lefty just provided but it might be something to cross-reference.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

PwrWgnWalt

Thanks guys!

Had taken it out and with me to the parts store.  Went with Gates "Green Stripe" - found that most stores stock standard 2" hose, and I got 7.5 inches of it (the old one measured 8", but was a little too long for my liking).

Side note - when I cleaned the filler extension, noticed a crack in the filler neck (from top rim where the radiator cap attaches, halfway down the neck). Took it to a local radiator shop today, and they said they could easily put on a new neck, for under $20 total.

- Walt
Walt & Tina